style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Many thanks to all those who contribute to this site.

I've just called customer services to request an investment report detailing all the charges applied to my account for the last six years.

A pleasant woman said she would need to request it from the administration dept. and it could take up to ten days to arrive by post. There was no mention of a charge.

and so the ball rolls.

21st June - Halifax offer £357 - responded 25th june in the negative

2nd June - Sent letter requesting repayment of charges over last 12 months tatalling £1,977

10th may - Confirm (by phone) I will pay for statements

2nd May - Halifax requests payment for statements and confirms no manual intervention has been carried out.

10th april - Request (by phone) investment report & details of manual intervention

• 4 weeks later...

Update,

I've been away and came back not to a wedge of statements but a letter saying it will cost five pounds and I need to confirm I'll pay it before they'll issue the statements etc. So just called to agree to pay - hopefully they'll arrive before I'm away again.

2nd June - Sent letter requesting repayment of charges over last 12 months tatalling £1,977

2nd May - Halifax requests payment for statements and confirms no manual intervention has been carried out.

10th april - Request (by phone) investment report & details of manual intervention

Forgot to mention an interesting point - the letter actually states that no manual intervention was carried out except for refunds.

Hello

They say they are under no obligation to record manual intervention.

Thats because there isnt any!

Good luck.

DPA Letter sent 28 Feb

• Statements Received 24 Mar
  • Prelim sent 24 Mar
  • LBA sent 12 Apr
  • MCOL 26 Apr
  • Acknowledged 3 May
  • Coming soon:

£2810 inc int. Halifax. Done and Dusted 16/05/06

Dont forget to donate

• 3 weeks later...

I work away from home, so it'll be a while before I have the pleasure of calculating the full cost of my claim. However checking my online statements shockingly revealed I've paid 1839 pounds in charges over the last 12 months! An average of 150 pounds a month.

I'm flabberghasted, I knew it had been a tough year and was bound to be a lot but???

I'm flabberghasted, I knew it had been a tough year and was bound to be a lot but???

:-x it makes you mad doesn't it when you realise how much EVIL the banks have demonstrated!

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Got tired of waiting to get home and ruck into the statements (still not arrived) So sent a letter requesting repayment of previous 12 months worth of charges I got from my online statements. I'll go for the rest later. I live in scotland so my limit in court would be 1500 anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Halifax have followed up their letter of acknowledgement and made a "goodwill" offer of £357. I was mildly irritated by an insinuation that my reclaiming of charges is going to transfer the cost others, as if £39 is what it really costs to automatically return a DD. My response is pasted below.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter of 21st June 2006. I’m afraid your offer of £357, although generous, is unsatisfactory as I am owed £1,977 in charges which you have levied from my account during the period from March 4th 2005 to the 23rd of May 2006.

You make the point: “We incur costs regardless of the shortfall involved. We believe it is fair to pass on these costs onto the accounts affected, rather than absorb them into other areas of our operations, penalising all our other customers as a result.”

I quote a letter I received 12th April 2006 from Alison Downs, customer services; “The majority of transactions on your account are automated and all application of charges is automated. The only manual intervention around charges would be when a refund is made.”

Given the information contained in the quotes above I would suggest that the costs incurred, for example, for the automatic return of an unpaid direct debit (current charge £39) must be very small, perhaps only a few pence and I can only conclude that as you fear some other costs have in fact been absorbed by other operations and I, along with others, am the one being unfairly penalised. If, as you suggest, the company policy is to fairly charge the costs incurred by unsuccessful transactions to the affected accounts I would suggest the amounts recovered in overdraft interest, which I have undoubtedly paid highly trying to keep up with an average £150 a month, should be more than adequate recompense.

The regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I will therefore settle for nothing less than a full repayment of £1,977 stated. I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action.

You must mitigate your loss so accept any offer they make you , rejecting all and any conditions and inform them that you will pursue them for the remainder.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/08/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks