Cares allowance, what other benefits am i entitled to?

sknow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I'm 19 and currently caring for my father who suffers from mental illness.

I quit education to look after him and the job requires me to do a lot of work daily so i decided to start a carers allowance claim ( in the process now ).

I'm just wondering though would i also be able to claim income support or any other benefits?

Also I travel over 15+ miles a day on train & would like to live closer to him am i eligible rent a DSS property?

Thanks in advance for those who take there time to answer these questions

if you have no other income, you'll be entitled to income support. This will be reduced by the amount of carers allowance you claim and you'll receive a £30 carers premium on top. Income support will entitle you to full housing and council tax benefits for your situation. You'll also get free prescriptions, eye tests, dental care and optical vouchers.

Re housing, you should approach the council for the area in which your father lives. They may be able to help you find closer accommodation, but it is likely to be private rented only. There is usually a very long waiting list for social housing though your carer status might get you further up the list.

I think you will only get housing benefit at the 'single room' rate because of your age, but again your carer status might make a difference.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Silly question but does your Dad receive middle or higher rate dla?

would the father receiving DLA not be a prerequite for SKNOW receiving CA?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

would the father receiving DLA not be a prerequite for SKNOW receiving CA?

Yes. But it's still worth asking the question as not everyone is clear about the rules.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

id6052 you would be suprised at the number of applications made for CA but the person requiring the care is not actually receiving or made a claim for DLA/AA, thats the reason I asked as it wasn't actually clear in the OP.

If the person is not in receipt of DLA MR/HR care or AA then the claim for CA will fail and at least sknow will know to either get her father to apply for the correct benefit or request a review to increase the level of the current award, just in case there are any potential problems delays etc.

sorry flumps1976, i thought SKNOW was already receiving carers allowance, my bad

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Can i put towards the housing benefit they will give me to add up to the rent?

example if they gave me £80 housing benefit a week but the rent was £400 pcm could i add the extra £80?

Can i put towards the housing benefit they will give me to add up to the rent?

example if they gave me £80 housing benefit a week but the rent was £400 pcm could i add the extra £80?

yes.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop