layla_83

Agency just tell me "contract is long term - on going' and are not happy I asked when it ends

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2475 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I work for a well known agency in a financial organisation, i started in sept 2012 on a 3 month contract which was due to end in jan 2013, mid way through the contract in oct I was given a weeks notice to leave the job because there was "not enough work".......then I was luckily given a new position elsewhere in the company to help with some backlog of work, the agency told me its "long term with no end date"

anyway I asked the agency a few times when my contract was due to end as it had end date of jan 2013 and if it was to be renewed.......the agency don't seem to0 happy i have asked the questions about how long i have left or when is the new end date and they asked my team members if they had any concerns about the end date to which they naturally said "no" and my team members told the agency that its only me that has been asking questions about what is the end date, will it be renewed.....etc, when in fact they were asking me the same thing, so i simply asked the agency, who now don't seem too happy with me for asking that question.

what i want to know is can the agency take measures against me (make an excuse and let me go.....)

for simply asking them several times of the course of a few weeks an indication of the end date and if contract will be renewed, i have just been told its "long term on going" - but that can mean anything, a week, 3 months, a year.......etc

worried as i feel the agency or team leader may take action against me in some way simply for asking what was on other peoples minds as well.............

i've been offered a job elsewhere which is close to home which is 3 - 6 months long, should i take that or just stay in my present job, which i really really enjoy, the agency are really good towards me as well, just feel that i did nothing wrong in just asking a simple question which is on the minds of lots of people at work and now powers that be may use that against me

if you were in my position, would you stay in the job or take the job closer to home?

Yes they can is the simplest answer. Any pay in lieu of notice will be stated in your contract, if not it will be a week IIRC

Perhaps their reason for asking about team dynamics is to see whether there is any friction within the team and whether it appears that you remain committed to the organisation or not.

You have obviousl been looking for work elsewhere (assumption made based on your being offered another position elsewhere) and the agency may be concerned that you might 'up sticks' and leave. Alternatively they may be concerned that you're not happy in the current role hence your asking when the contract is due to end.

Perhaps you need to explain to the agency just why you're asking about the end date of the contract - perhaps you originally made plans that, as the contract was due to end on xx date, you would go away or do something specific; or perhaps you need to know as you're taking on a credit agreement and need to know there is some security in the contract, especially given that the initial role you were taken on for should have been for 3 months but ended early because of a lack of work.

Or, finally, perhaps you aren't enjoying this contract or the new role as much as you thought you might and don't want to be tied down for am unspecified Seri!e of time.

Feebee_71

The other option is to stay in the job you're in and look for something permanent. You have very few rights as an agency worker, so for me personally, I'd be looking for permanent work.

Layla, you worry too much. there is nothing wrong in asking questions.

The contract can end any time and it might or might not depend on you being pedantic about your contract.

However if you have an alternative, look for a permanent job with a company directly. Contracting is not for everybody, maybe you're not cut out for it.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"