• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Need help regarding Personal Guarantee HSBC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am a new user and would appreciate some advice on my situation.

As director I jointly signed a guarantee with HSBC in 2002 for an overdraft of £13,000

I resigned as a director of a company in 2003, which was done hastily, and left to the accountant to sort out.

(foolish I know)

The company was in good credit at the time of resignation.

In 2011 I received letter from HSBC quoting " the above company has been placed into liquidation on July 2011, attached is a letter in respect of the Guarantee you have given this company.

After explaining my situation to HSBC they advised me that they would not release from the guarantee, but would not pursue me if the existing director and guarantor paid the debt. (which he hasn't)

The debt was passed to Metropolitan Collection Services, who ignored all correspondence from me.

Now i've received a letter from Wescot demanding over £30,000?

I rang them to tell them I didn't owe any money to anyone, they couldn't even find me on there system?

Is there anything I can do, I have a statutory declaration from the other director stating that I don't have anything to do with this debt or the company.

Regards

PC

Hi welcome to CAG, I would check with a solicitor, but surely your liability ended when you resigned as a director, the statutory declaration and the resignation should suffice.

Please stay off thr telephone deal with this inwritting only.

Write to Westcott and tell them your directorship has ceased and send a copy of the stat dec.

BTW do you have a copy of the guarantee document, if not insist the bank produces on complete with the terms and conditions.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ahh I was presuming you had done this on resignation, not so??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

How many were signatories to the loan?

Do you have your own house as mortgagee?

You will need to know why this loan has increased by so much. Can/are you talking with the other directors?

If you are on good terms with the others, then get together over a pint and see if they will accept the debt as theirs. If they do, then get a legal document declaring that and bobs your uncle. You really need to do this before a course of action or settlement if feasible.

If they won't agree, you could still let a court decide if you remain liable.

How, after 10 years, has the loan increased, has it been topped up? it would appear that way.

I already have a statutory declaration stating the debt isn't mine, should I get one that states the debt is other signaturee.

I think the total debt is 30k owed to HSBC by other signaturee and they may have linked accounts (just guessing)

I assume my debt is 13k thats what i signed for on the guarantee(guessing again)

thanks

When you sign a guarantee, you promise to repay the debt if the borrower fails to do so. It does not matter if you resigned and it does not matter if you have a statutory declaration (I am not sure what you mean by this declaration). Only HSBC can release you, not the company and not the other directors.

If there are other guarantors, HSBC is probably chasing all of you at the same time. However, if you are the only guarantor, then we have a problem. If the other directors did not sign a guarantee then they probably don't have to pay anything, even if they were directors long after you were. You can ask them to pay but if they are not guarantors then they may refuse.

You probably agreed to guarantee the company's whole liability. This will probably include interest, collection costs and penalty charges as well as the main debt. Check the guarantee to see what it says. The figure will probably be higher than 13k, how it has reached 30k and whether this is justified I cannot say. You should ask for details of this.

It is definitely worth investigating what happened with the liquidation. This debt should have been paid when the company was liquidated, assuming there was enough money in the company. If the money was paid away to the shareholders when the company was wound up you may be able to clawback some of that money. You can get a copy of the liquidation documents and accounts by paying a quid on the Companies House website, you should do this urgently. Let us know what these documents say.

Edited by steampowered

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I have read thru guarantee, basically reads amount payable under this guarantee limited to £13000 interest at 3% above base rate from date of demand which was 2011.

In liquidators report in reads under secured creditors, The company created debenture incorporating a fixed and floating charge in favour of HSBC (same date of guarantee), at date of liquidation the companies indebtedness to HSBC was est £30k and a claim of 39k has been received.

Dont know what that means, could you please let me know in plain english.

Thanks

The liquidators report means that in the event the liquidation results in any surplus (dividend), HSBC will be paid off in preference to other unsecured creditors.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

• 3 weeks later...