Childs swimming lessons refused refund for money paid in advance

xlauramx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I am hoping to find out where I stand on this.

We pay for my sons swimming lessons in blocks of 10, and pay 2 weeks in advance. They have a no refund policy if children are ill during the 10 week block and have to miss lessons. During this block of lessons my son had an ear infection and his ear drum burst. He has been advised by his Dr that he can not swim for up to 8 weeks. He has already missed the last lesson before Christmas and yesterday. Yesterday was pay week at swimming and we rang them up for some advice, we were told that if we didn't pay yesterday for the lessons that begin in a fortnights time we would lose his place. We were told to pay yesterday and then go to Drs on Monday and ask for a letter 'to tell them why he is really off'! and they would credit the lessons he has missed to his 10 next 10 week block (the 1 after the 1 we have just paid for). We went and paid yesterday.

I then found out that the Drs would charge me £25 to write the letter. We called the swim school back to ask for a refund of the money we had paid yesterday as we had paid 2 weeks in advance of the first lesson starting and lose his place. I was point blank refused. I feel like we have been led up the garden path slightly on this - just to be clear, I am not asking for a refund of the lessons my son has missed I am asking for a refund of the money I paid yesterday for the lessons due to begin in 2 weeks.

Thank you for reading, I know I have waffled on a bit! :-x

Does seem very unreasonable that there is no refund policy ! I have alerted site team to this one.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

no refund sounds ok to me for that sort of activity.

The school or whoever runs it, make it pay by having a full class. If half the class off ill and demand refunds they would have to cancel the whole class. as would not pay.

if you are ill or miss lessons thats down to you.

Thanks for the replies, Im not sure I made it clear in my post that I am not asking for a refund for the missed lessons as I was aware of the no refund policy, I was asking for a refund for only the money paid in advance for the lessons that start in February - that haven't happened yet! Thanks, Laura.

I presume this is a council pool?

ALL council lessons are covered with the sames terms and conditions tht are normally on the letter you would have originally applied to have your child placed in the queue for lessons.

Even if you pay a year in advance you still won't get back any monies under the term:

If any person withdraws from a course after being accepted the Management reserve the right to withhold all the fee unless withdrawal is through medical reasons, where a Doctors certificate is required.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

You cant really plan in advance for illness/accident.. can you ?

This is no different to signing up for gym membership and then breaking a leg.. they too try not to refund/extend the contract !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

the main issue is that the waiting list for these lessons will mainly be kids starting lessons and assuming that you kid has been there for a while they will be on level 2 or up and it is very unlikely that anyone will be waiting on the list to join at an upper level. the classes cannot begin unless there is x amount of kids signed up to it etc. thats why the no refund is in place.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thank you for all your replies. In response, it it not a council pool it is a privately run swim school with a large waiting list and he is still on the first level so they could fill his place pretty easily and they will refund with a Drs note but that will still cost us £25. We will just have to suck it up and live and learn I think on this occasion, I guess I am disappointed with myself for paying it in the first place. Thanks again everyone for your replies, Laura.

the main issue is that the waiting list for these lessons will mainly be kids starting lessons and assuming that you kid has been there for a while they will be on level 2 or up and it is very unlikely that anyone will be waiting on the list to join at an upper level. the classes cannot begin unless there is x amount of kids signed up to it etc. thats why the no refund is in place.

Ah right, thanks Ida.. understand now :)

BCOBS

I think it is reasonable for them to require a doctor's certificate, otherwise any parent would have a "escape from paying" card just by saying their child is ill. It is unfortunate that your doctor charges for the letter in my opinion they really shouldn't be allowed to do this. Perhaps you could ask for a copy of your medical records instead rather than a specific letter but this could be hassle.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS