Letter I Have Recieved From DWP

Dee1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recieved a letter today from DWP i will tell you what it says then maybe i will be able to get more advice.

I AM CONDUCTING AN INVESTIGATION INTO ALLEGED CRIMINAL OFFENCES IN RELATION TO A BENEFIT CLAIM. THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER WHICH I NEED TO DISCUSS WITH YOU URGENTLY.

I called them to tell them i will attend the interview but obviously they wouldnt give me any clue to what it was about, im pregnant with twins at the minute due to be born in 4weeks and this is really stressing me out i would be greatful if anybody could help me. Thank you

Is this an interview under caution? If it is, the letter should say so.

Anyhow, I'd contact them by letter, enclose a copy of your MAT1(B) form and ask for the interview to be deferred until after the birth of your twins. Then I would seek advice from a solicitor, especially if you genuinely have no idea what this may relate to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes it is an interview Under Caution, will i be able to cancel it until after i have had my twins? Thank you

I'm not an expert in this field, but I would say if you are due to give birth in four weeks then that should be a decent reason to defer the interview. In any case, even if you weren't pregnant, you'd still be entitled to delay your interview in order to seek legal advice and representation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It does say on the letter that if you cant attend to let them know within 7 days and says i can take a solicitor do you think i should take one? Also on the letter it says THE INTERVIEW WILL BE CONDUCTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CODES AND PRACTICE TO THE POLICE AND CRIMINAL EVIDENCE ACT 1984 i dont suppose you know what that means? It all sounds really serious to me. Thank you

In the absence of more information about why this interview is being requested, I would always advise that you consult a solicitor and take him or her with you if at all possible. You can, as I said, request deferment in order to seek legal advice, and I would certainly do this.

The Police and Criminal Evidence Act (often shortened to PACE) governs the way investigating bodies such as the police, DWP, HMRC and local councils must gather and handle evidence if they are considering presenting it in court. Now, the fact that they've said this does not mean that they are planning to take anything to court - it's standard "just in case" wording. But you should take this seriously.

If you feel comfortable giving us more information about your circumstances, that would help us to offer more advice about what might possibly be going on - at this stage I can't even take a guess. But don't post anything you don't want to.

Dee IUC could cover a whole host of scenarios such as undisclosed partner, undisclosed savings/property/earnings. You can defer it, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to you because usually they have carried out background checks and investigations, in that case take an advisor/solicitor - if it is totally out of the blue then you've nothing to worry about x

Good luck xx

scotgal 

It's the new IUC letter that asks you to phone back or return a reply slip to confirm the appointment.

The copy I've seen no longer gives any indication of what the potential offence is.

Given your current circumstances you may want to phone the number on the letter, explain your situation & ask for the IUC to be postponed to a more appropriate date in a couple of months time. The investigator may not even be aware you are pregnant.

It's the new IUC letter that asks you to phone back or return a reply slip to confirm the appointment.

The copy I've seen no longer gives any indication of what the potential offence is.

Given your current circumstances you may want to phone the number on the letter, explain your situation & ask for the IUC to be postponed to a more appropriate date in a couple of months time. The investigator may not even be aware you are pregnant.

You reckon phone rather than write? Fair enough, you have a lot more experience of these things than I do.

You reckon phone rather than write? Fair enough, you have a lot more experience of these things than I do.

Either is fine, but you can ask some questions if you phone. You might get some clues as to what the alleged offence is.

Although tbh most people have a pretty good idea of what the letter is about when they receive it.

Either is fine, but you can ask some questions if you phone. You might get some clues as to what the alleged offence is.

Although tbh most people have a pretty good idea of what the letter is about when they receive it.

Makes sense. I think OP already called to say she would attend, I presume there's no issue if she calls back before the deadline and says "I've taken advice and decided I'd like to request a deferment because I'm due to give birth in four weeks"?

Makes sense. I think OP already called to say she would attend, I presume there's no issue if she calls back before the deadline and says "I've taken advice and decided I'd like to request a deferment because I'm due to give birth in four weeks"?

Its time I went to bed because I totally missed the bit about already phoning!

I don't think there are many investigators who would be happy IUC'ing someone who is over 8 months pregnant with twins, so best postpone it now, because they may decide its not appropriate to start the IUC if Dee1 turns up in her current condition!

Its time I went to bed because I totally missed the bit about already phoning!

I don't think there are many investigators who would be happy IUC'ing someone who is over 8 months pregnant with twins, so best postpone it now, because they may decide its not appropriate to start the IUC if Dee1 turns up in her current condition!

Ah, it's late, these things happen! Anyhow, thanks for the advice. It makes sense.

Just a thought that if not knowing is causing a lot of stress it may be better to get the interview over and done with sooner rather than later, at least then the op will know what its about.

Edited by assisted blonde

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thank you to everybody for the advice, i have an idea what it is about it could be a few things its just the not knowing that is driving me nuts, and not knowing if someone has reported me or if it is something else, on the letter it says i will be recorded and even the : You do not have to say anything but whatever you do say may be given in evidence; but non of my benefits have been stopped so does that mean they dont have that much proof or any proof at all? Thank you

Dpending on how long they could defer you interview for don't forget that if they do wait until after your babies are born you will need to find somebody to look after then when you do attend, as you won't be able to take them to the interview with you.

Dpending on how long they could defer you interview for don't forget that if they do wait until after your babies are born you will need to find somebody to look after then when you do attend, as you won't be able to take them to the interview with you.

It's not ideal but I've done quite a few IUC's with babies & young children in the room with us. Typists love it because they've got to transcribe every sound on the tape :-).

The other option & possibly best in this case, would be to request the IUC at home, which in the circumstances would be a lot less stressful environment.

• Haha 1

As always, Jabba Jones offers an excellent suggestion.

As far as I am aware, your legal representative can request disclosure from the investigators as to the broad contours of the investigation against you. It seems to be a common courtesy that this information is provided in most cases, the rationale -- I believe -- being that this allows your legal representative to advise you properly.

I would go through yell dot com looking for all the criminal solicitors in your area, and e-mail them asking if they have specific experience in social security crime/benefit fraud. Legal aid for these interviews seems to be a murky area, but it doesn't hurt to have a conversation with a solicitor experienced in this field. Also, I would suggest a discussion with Welfare Rights if you have them in your area; the WR in my area are very good, are ex-DWP employees, and have substantial experience with the civil side of these investigations.