Gross Misconduct - where to go from here

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Evening one and all.

I have to start off from the top. A few days ago in a huge moment of what I can only describe as a mindless act, I stole from my workplace. Or at least I attempted to. I was promptly caught and asked to come back in. This is the biggest single regret of my entire life.

I had worked for the company for nearly 4 years and to decide to throw it all away for this is unfathomable. Today i was invited to a investigation, which lasted for about an hour. After this was completed I was then informed after admitting my guilt, and offering no reason as to why I did it. I was informed I will be invited back for a disciplinary hearing - which I am 99% sure will lead to me losing my job, this I have come to accept.

However, my question is not about losing my job, it is about what to do next. I have written an immediate resignation which i intend to deliver to the store, this would be against the 4 week notice period so I would lose that right for pay and my holiday accrued.

I am under the impression though that the 20+ days I have already worked since the last payroll cut off and also the paid suspension will be honored and I should receive them.

I understand as well my employer has the right to deny my notice, and carry on with the investigation in my absence, this may result in dismissal and then the notice period / holiday pay is ok again?

The last bit of my query is I am fully aware this will affect my references in the future - I will not give the name of the manager or hr department for example when giving referees. I partially understand that if asked in the future, if they decided to dismiss under proceedings of the disciplinary when asked for a reference they can put "resigned under investigation" or words to that effect?

Please could anyone at all shed any light on this? Thank you in advance.

hold up. do you have any mitigating circumstances at all? stress? mental health issues? seeing gp for anything?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I have been having alcohol issues for a while, not alcoholism as a whole, but it could be classed under that. I also have been treated for anxiety recently too by my GP.

well I wouldn't resign if I had a condition affecting my mental health I was prepared to get treated for so there was no recurrance. Not before I had an occ health referal and had grovelled a lot, anyway.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I don't know if after my preliminary hearing today if that will work, i basically admitted the offence and being in the wrong. i'm well aware that this is going to affect my life immensely now. just wish i could change my actions. Im still in the frame of mind to send my resignation tomorrow, and hope for leniency.

I understand, but do I have anything to gain. I need the time that the meeting will be at the go on a job course, I also know they're adamant I will lose my job, so hence the immediate resignation. I've put everything at risk for one stupid act, including my 4 year relationship with my fiancee.

Is it a "once in a lifetime" course?

If they decided to prosecute that would debarr you from working in certain professions. Do you know what they are yet?

Sounds like bad panic decision making to me.

Well the job I'm leaving is retail, the one I would be going to was either marketing, or IT sales. Obviously I have to rule out my chances of working for banks, insurance, etc in the future.

I am panicking I suppose, which is why I'm on here. I have read up though, and as I didnt leave the full premises, and all items were recovered - i.e. it wasnt money and items, so trivial at less than £40, there isnt a criminal act to prosecute for, not one they'd see the point for (I, believe it or not, used to assist on the loss prevention team) and understand what they do and dont want to pursue.

Thank you for all your replies so far.

*shrug* is up to you. I have been involved in cases where people have done weird things due to stress or illness and gone for a final written if they are committed to treatment. If work don't know you have been having issues they'll assume the worst.

At the least you may get a slightly better reference if you go through the process.

It is seldom the end of the world. Huge numbers of currently employed people have had problems in the past. None of us are perfect. The sky will not fall in.

Thanks Emmzzi, I received 2 more interview requests today, so god willing, out of all the chances I have there will be one person who chooses to give me a chance. One of them was cheltenham and gloucester, I find it not as likely to be anything but a straight no, though I will never know unless I try.

I do not wish to still attend the hearing, for example, I didn't bring up in the investigation affects of anxiety and/or stress nor alcohol abuse. So the likelihood of them accepting this in a formal disciplinary is highly unlikely, they will deem it me clutching at straws.

Unfortunately the sky feels like its falling in, and still may. Ive lost all my friends respect, half of them aren't talking to me and my fiancee is unsure whether she wants to continue with us as a relationship, in which case I would move 200 miles home. Then maybe the world will truly feel like its ending.

Hon, I am not ure why you are asking for advice since you have decided what to do and no discussion will sway you from it.

Very good luck, let us know how it goes.

I suppose I am seeming a bit stubborn yes. Sorry,

I shall await what the letter back says, I presume it will be either to tell me about the disciplinary or that they accept my resignation. Will have to wait until Monday / Tuesday for that now. Then I can assess whether to go through with the disciplinary, if they don't choose to accept my resignation they obviously will be wanting to make it an official dismissal.

Thanks for your kind words.

IMO dont make the situation worse by coming up with reasons as to why you did or didnt do it, resign with an apology, you could state that it was out of character but if i were your employer I would be thinking along the lines of is this really a one off or is it the first time this person has been caught?. Leaving your job under these circumstances is not the end of the world we all do daft things for one reason or another and sometimes we really dont know why we did them, it happens, dont keep beating yourself up over it and dont prolong the situation by appealing etc etc. You have accepted you did it, apologise and hopefully the company will not take the matter any further, they may be happy that you have left with the minimum of fuss and may be agreeable to a basic reference which isnt too bad.

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thank you assisted blonde That is what I will be hoping for. I've sent the resignation first class special delivery today and also via a scanned copy to the HR guy at head office. I included an apology, and at the end some thanks for their support over the years (if anyone wisehs to see it I will copy and paste the letter). I wont be seeking an appeal nor any grievance. I'm bang to rights, I just want it over with now and on to the important step of getting a new job which I have already made head way, only time will tell if the reference they choose to give or not give is a bad one - in terms of its content.