sick pay entitlement when office is closed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,Does anyone have any advice on this matter.I was off sick over the christmas period with a very bad sinus infection so I ended up being unable to attend work on the Friday28th December, Monday 31st December and 2nd January 2013. I was in fact contracted to work these days 9 - 5.30pm as I had no holiday entitlement left.When I returned to work on 3rd Jan (still unwell but making a very big effort) I was informed that everyone had been allowed to go home early at 1pm on each day as things were very quiet. I was horrifed to discover at my return-to-work interview that I was going to be docked THREE FULL DAYS wages regardless of the early office closures. This amounts to £250!I checked my employment contract and discovered that I am not entitled to any sick pay within the first 12 months of my employment and I have only worked for the company for 6 months.Where do I stand?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Joanna

you were unavailable for work for 3 full days. Their generosity to others doesn't change that. Harsh but legal. Always worth keeping an emergency holiday day or two in the bag!

Could you offer to work overtime to make up the hours maybe?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I can see why. But with 6 months service I'd be keeping quiet about it

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Why do you feel cheated? is it the fact your collegues made the effort to go in and were allowed an early finish or because you have only just read your contract.

It is frustrating, but unfortunately legal.

It's similar to when employees take a full days annual leave for Christmas Eve when the office shuts at 1 (a regular complaint)! The other employees will have been paid for the full day despite leaving early, so unfortunately it follows that if you're unfit for work, the whole day is docked.