Joannaglassheart

sick pay entitlement when office is closed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2479 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,Does anyone have any advice on this matter.I was off sick over the christmas period with a very bad sinus infection so I ended up being unable to attend work on the Friday28th December, Monday 31st December and 2nd January 2013. I was in fact contracted to work these days 9 - 5.30pm as I had no holiday entitlement left.When I returned to work on 3rd Jan (still unwell but making a very big effort) I was informed that everyone had been allowed to go home early at 1pm on each day as things were very quiet. I was horrifed to discover at my return-to-work interview that I was going to be docked THREE FULL DAYS wages regardless of the early office closures. This amounts to £250!I checked my employment contract and discovered that I am not entitled to any sick pay within the first 12 months of my employment and I have only worked for the company for 6 months.Where do I stand?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Joanna

you were unavailable for work for 3 full days. Their generosity to others doesn't change that. Harsh but legal. Always worth keeping an emergency holiday day or two in the bag!

Could you offer to work overtime to make up the hours maybe?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

No - unfortunately they do not offer the opportunity to make up the hours this way. :(I have to say I feel a bit cheated. :(

I can see why. But with 6 months service I'd be keeping quiet about it

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Why do you feel cheated? is it the fact your collegues made the effort to go in and were allowed an early finish or because you have only just read your contract.

Ha - no! I already knew about not being paid for sick pay. But I feel disappointed that they were able to close up early yet I still have to lose ALL my wages. But either way I was way too sick to work.

It is frustrating, but unfortunately legal.

It's similar to when employees take a full days annual leave for Christmas Eve when the office shuts at 1 (a regular complaint)! The other employees will have been paid for the full day despite leaving early, so unfortunately it follows that if you're unfit for work, the whole day is docked.