Shiply will not return £70 deposit

Bev Bell
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid a deposit of £70 to Shiply for moving home - the mover defaulted at the last minute. I urgently needed another mover so paid another deposit - the second movers did as they promised. Shiply said they would not return my £70 deposit as it was over 28 days (29 daysvto be exact!). I will not accept the credit they have given me as i will never use it. I have emailed them with no luck. I have sent three letters, via signed delivery to their head office. No response. I am desperate for any advice. This is unacceptable and smacks of fraud in my eyes. Any advice would be gratefully received. I will not give up on this £70 of MY money. Thanks, bev

smacks of fraud in my eyes.

Where?

Check the terms and conditions you agreed to when paying the deposit.

29 days is not 28 days so you cannot use that one.

The deposit was taken to secure a booking for that day, the company may have now turned down other work on that day based on your job.

Unless there is more to this I do not see what Shiply have done wrong.

Where?

Check the terms and conditions you agreed to when paying the deposit.

29 days is not 28 days so you cannot use that one.

The deposit was taken to secure a booking for that day, the company may have now turned down other work on that day based on your job.

Unless there is more to this I do not see what Shiply have done wrong.

read post 1 again

the mover defaulted at the last minute

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

Hi

Please have a read of the attached PDF on Shiply Website Terms of use.

Now I have 'HIGHLIGHTED' in the PDF the important parts for you but please look at the following -

2 - Our Service - Neutral Venue.

6 - Fees (Especially read 6.5)

7 - Cancellation

Hope this is of some use for you.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If they are correct in not returning your deposit it must be because you cancelled, not the shifters failing to carry out their contract. However, because they are only middlemen it is a sod to get them to admit that you have a contract with them in the first place. If you paid by credit or debit card instigate a chargeback. it takes about 6 weeks to get your money back but the banks are pretty understanding bout these things now so they should send you a form to fill in. When you have initiated this tell shiply that you have instigated a chargeback and that you intend to recover your other losses from them jointly with the original shifters. it amy not be worthwhile to drag them through the courts but knowing they are going to have the bank take your cash back from them anyway may speed up their decision making processes when it comes to refunding you themselves.

Thanks for the advice - the person moving me cancelled as his wife apparently died?

I did not cancel or break the terms of the contact as far as I am concerned. My only mistake was to book well in advance which led to the 28 day issue!

Shiply have not had the courtesy to respond to any of my letters.

I will contact the bank and ask if they can withdraw the payment as suggested.

It's only £70 but it's the principle of the matter - how many other people are being ripped off by this company in the same way?

• 2 weeks later...

Send them a letter before action Bev and give them 7 days to refund or you will sue. You can do it on line and it will cost about £30 which you claim back.

It goes without saying, don't say you will sue unless you are prepared to go through with it.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome