• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

debt and bankrupcy help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1750 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, just an update, we have taken more advise and contacted our lender and they have said we can sell the house, we are going to put it on in the market asap. we plan to move into our new property in april. fully intend to go br in the next few weeks.will keep you all posted.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can anyone tell me if selling my home can all the costs for doing this come off the house sale? Obviously we have no money and dont really know what we are doing!

Yes, that's possible. You may also see if you lender has an 'assisted sale scheme'.

The lender said we can put house on the market as we advised them the alternative was to hand back the keys, we were not offered any assistance. we have spoken to an advisor who said that all fees would come off the house sale and the remainder would go to the lender and im a bit concerned that this wouldnt happen as we fully intend to br as soon as possible.

Just an update, we had a meeting with cab today and discussed bankrupcy, we are in Scotland, she advised this was our best option, as we went through cab she has arranged for an insolvency company to visit us , she said it would all be done in a home visit and all figures would be discussed and ipa would be told prior to our signing the BR.will keep u all posted.

Hi, well the house will be on the market in the nexr few days and fingers crossed it will sell and the bank will accept the price, in the mean time the letters from debts are coming in thick and fast as we are now in around 2/3 months arrears. can anyone advise what barclacard and m&s loans are likely to do? sell debt on or go for taking us to court? we are just trying to bide time and get house sold before bankrupcy as i couldnt face the shame of the neighbours knowing we were repossessed hence selling house first.

Two to three months is relatively short term in collection procedures , it is almost certain that the debts will be outsourced or sold to third party agents, the chances of court action at this stage is very slim indeed and even if they went down this route you would be given sunstantial warning in advance of a hearing. (We will cross that bridge if and when we get to it)

In the meantime if collection agents contact you by telephone, NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ENGAGE WITH THEM OR PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL DETAILS, IF THE PERSIST EVADE THE SUBJECT AND BE AS RUDE AS YOU WANT AS THEY HANG UP WHEN THE KNOW THEY CANNOT INTIMIDATE.

I was made bankrupt in 2007, I sat through an IVA for three years prior to that, thinking all was well until a credit card company decided to contest it. I was served papers two days before the court date and was not prepared for it, so let it go through. It's only been last month that the entry has been taken off my CRF. Be prepared for everything to be taken off you. I had my bank account stopped with no warning. Went to the cash machine one day and the card got taken away. I went into the bank and they said I had no rights to my funds as it was a term of the bankruptcy. I had to open an account with the Co-operative as they were the only ones who would open an account for people in that situation.

I appreciate that 50k of debt and mortgage arrears are a far cry from my 19k, cars and savings accounts. However, just be prepared for everything, as it's such a rocky ride afterwards.

I've had to borrow from sub-prime lenders for the last 6 years, high interest rates that make you so angry that you end up consumed with rage at the system, the way it's handled and how it makes you a total outcast. 6 years is a long time and a lot can happen in that time. I ended up divorced due to the pressures and complications of it all.

I always try to deter people from going down that route, however this is the first time in 9 years i've actually spoke about it, written it down or advised anyone about what happened to me.

If you are going to go down that route, be sure to include absolutely everything, as you can still be chased in 6 years for things that you forgot to include.

This is all based on my own experience, regardless of legality, documentation or advice from others. It was hell and still is.

just been turned down for a current account, because they had it on their records even though it wasn't on my CRF.....

the stress continues...

company If you are going to go down that route, be sure to include absolutely everything, as you can still be chased in 6 years for things that you forgot to include.

That's not right. Any debt would be included so long as it's a debt which is 'provable' in bankruptcy. So even if there are debts missed off the application they would still be included.

Seq.

paulstw, im sorry you have been through such a bad time and appreciate you putting this down for all to read, we have taken advise from cab and on this forum, we have also opened an account with the coop. I wish you good luck and happiness in the future.

paulstw, im sorry you have been through such a bad time and appreciate you putting this down for all to read, we have taken advise from cab and on this forum, we have also opened an account with the coop. I wish you good luck and happiness in the future.

No worries Karen :) my own fault for not researching in the first place or getting the right advice at the time.

That's not right. Any debt would be included so long as it's a debt which is 'provable' in bankruptcy. So even if there are debts missed off the application they would still be included.

Seq.

When I spoke to a 'credit expert' on Check My File this was what I was told. No worries as I don't have any doubts about this. Just thought I'd add a little to the mix. Good to see it all being taken care of though :)

I was made bankrupt in 2007, I sat through an IVA for three years prior to that, thinking all was well until a credit card company decided to contest it. I was served papers two days before the court date and was not prepared for it, so let it go through. It's only been last month that the entry has been taken off my CRF. Be prepared for everything to be taken off you. I had my bank account stopped with no warning. Went to the cash machine one day and the card got taken away. I went into the bank and they said I had no rights to my funds as it was a term of the bankruptcy. I had to open an account with the Co-operative as they were the only ones who would open an account for people in that situation.

I appreciate that 50k of debt and mortgage arrears are a far cry from my 19k, cars and savings accounts. However, just be prepared for everything, as it's such a rocky ride afterwards.

I've had to borrow from sub-prime lenders for the last 6 years, high interest rates that make you so angry that you end up consumed with rage at the system, the way it's handled and how it makes you a total outcast. 6 years is a long time and a lot can happen in that time. I ended up divorced due to the pressures and complications of it all.

I always try to deter people from going down that route, however this is the first time in 9 years i've actually spoke about it, written it down or advised anyone about what happened to me.

If you are going to go down that route, be sure to include absolutely everything, as you can still be chased in 6 years for things that you forgot to include.

This is all based on my own experience, regardless of legality, documentation or advice from others. It was hell and still is.

just been turned down for a current account, because they had it on their records even though it wasn't on my CRF.....

the stress continues...

The initial post is from a Scottish resident, the process varies considerably from other areas of the Uk, all advice previously provided has been based on Scottish law

The initial post is from a Scottish resident, the process varies considerably from other areas of the Uk, all advice previously provided has been based on Scottish law

Well I live in Glasgow so I'm sure all went in the accordance with scottish law when I went through it.

Well I live in Glasgow so I'm sure all went in the accordance with scottish law when I went through it.

I cannot under how you would have an IVA prior to Bankruptcy as they don't exist in Scotland. However It is true to say that it does make obtaining credit difficult even after discharge, nevertheless if you have several unsecured debts and unable to meet the mortgage and face a shortfall upon the sale of the property, there are very alternatives.

The bank account issue can be addressed if you deal with it in advance of Sequestration, which has been done in this case

ok so we have the house on the market and halifax agreed to this, there is likely to be a shortfall of approx 25k. i sent an email to the negative equity team asking if we could accept any reasonable offer and thet replied we could accept in principle but we had to phone them if we get an offer and this would be sent to another dept, the email also stated if it was beneficial to the bank and we offered a re payment for the shortfall this would likely be accepted. we advised the bank we were trying to get the best price without handing back the keys and they agreed to us selling, what now? we plannned to sell and put shortfall into bankcupcy as we have no intention of repaying and br is the only route.Are they likely to accept any sale as this would be better than voluntary repo? our house should sell and would be better than auction surely! please can anyone advise or should we just say we tried and hand the keys in?

If you and your partner intend to bankrupt, the figures become irrelevant from your point of view, you could simply go through the BR process at this point and entire the entire outstanding balance into the application. The figures will then be ammended by the Accountant in Bankruptcy once the sale is complete. I cannot see what there is to gain by paying the selling fees from you own pocket.

The selling fees all come off the house sale so wont cost me anything, we were trying our best to get the best price for the halifax and also to save the embarrassment of a repossession. I didnt realise we could go BR and still be selling the house? wouldnt the accountant in bankrupcy inform the estate agent ?

I think what croc means is we can see no merit or gain to yourself trying to sell the house if you are going bk.

although i know you do not want people to know about it

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thank you for the reply, I am ashamed of the position we find ourselves in and would prefer to at least try and sell the house to have a lesser amount for shortfall, perhaps im wrong but it makes me feel a little better knowing im at least trying .

Two to three months is relatively short term in collection procedures , it is almost certain that the debts will be outsourced or sold to third party agents, the chances of court action at this stage is very slim indeed and even if they went down this route you would be given sunstantial warning in advance of a hearing. (We will cross that bridge if and when we get to it)

In the meantime if collection agents contact you by telephone, NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ENGAGE WITH THEM OR PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL DETAILS, IF THE PERSIST EVADE THE SUBJECT AND BE AS RUDE AS YOU WANT AS THEY HANG UP WHEN THE KNOW THEY CANNOT INTIMIDATE.

Help. getting hounded by m&s and we have currently ignored all calls, do you advise we tell them we intend to go BR or just ignore and wait on them selling the debt on, help much appreciated .

Hello, well house on market one week and just accepted full valuation of 85k, we have an endownment worth 9k which also tied to morgage so in theory will leave a shortfall of approx 25k. Can you advise what to do if the bank ask us to accept shortfall? if we accept shortfall can this still be added to impending BR. We would like to think the bank will see it in their best interest to accept the offer as it is full market value and accept their loss as the alternative is us handing back the keys and them having to then sell it and pay all costs etc,any advice is much appreciated.

Hi, now have a letter from bank of scotland ref our overdraft,

we have 4k and rest in charges, as we havent paid as saving for bankrupcy we now have a letter stating if we dont call and pay we will instruct our solicitors who will claim what you owe through the courts.

Is it likely or will they pass on to debt collection?

just trying to get a few more weeks before bankruptcy to get house sold and move to new rental,

should we phone them and advise what we intend?

dont want court action before we BR.