• Tweets

• Just to clarify then, should the reason I am disputing the debt be that they have not supplied all the relevant paperwork (CCA) and the debt is therefore unenforcable?
    • https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

debt and bankrupcy help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Im looking to get some advice and hope some of the guys on here can help.

MY home is in zero equity and we owe aroung 120k with no arrears,

the house is only worth around 85k with the current climate,

we have other debts which we are in payment plans with several and have defaults on one cc but no ccjs.

i have been offered to move into a family home to help us get on our feet.

question is

will our mortgage company allow us to sell the house and arrange to pay back the shortfall?

is this likely or are they likely to say we cannot sell?

what other options are available,

what would happen if we simply gave the keys back?

what would happen if we decided to go bankrupt with the shortfall?

can we declare bankruptcy without any ccjs ?

we have around 50k unsecured debt and this is taking its toll.

moving to family members home would be a great solution for us but not sure how we should approach the morgage lender.

all help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Scottish based so don't take this post as being 100% accurate and possibly someone else will come along and correct me. However in Scotland if you were to Bankrupt the Trustee would not be interested in a negative equity property. Threfore it would be possible to rid yourself of the unsecured debt and keep your home so long as you keep up the mortgage payments. It very much dependes on what you want as the alternative would be to hand back the keys move to new accomodation and throw the shortfall into the Bankruptcy.

Thanks for the reply, we def want to move to rented family accomaodation, prefer not to go bankrupt but to sell house and whatever the shortfall is try to make agreed payments , do you think we can do this ? and if the shortfall is too much to pay monthly can we be made bankrupt? or are they likely to sell debt to dca?

iT IS OF COURSE YOUR CHOICE, BUT THE FIGURES YOU HAVE PROVIDED ARE SUBSTANTIAL. REMEMBER YOU WILL HAVE RENT TO PAY ON TOP OF THE SHORTFALL , WHICH YOU ESTIMATE TO BE 35K + 50K UNSECURED. BASED ON THESE FIGURES, EVEN IF YOU ENTERED A 10 YEAR PAYMENT PLAN WITH INTEREST AND CHARGES FROZEN YOUR PAYMENTS WOULD BE £708.33 PER MONTH BEFORE YOU PAY THE RENT OR ANY OTHER LIVING COSTS. IT IS OF COURSE POSSIBLE THAT ONE OF THE CREDITORS WOULD BANKRUPT YOU, HOWEVER I FAIL TO SEE WHAT PURPOSE THIS WOULD SERVE IN THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Thanks again, so the best option is to try and sell house if lender allows and then go for bankcruptcy?

can we declare ourself bankcrupt with no ccj just a default on our file?

when you go down that route are all debts written off or do we have to sell our furniture and jewellery or anything of value to pay creditors?

i have been trying to read up on this but it seems it is not straight forward and you still have to pay ur debts?

is this correct or am i not understanding it ?

also we have opened a basic account with the coop will this be allowed if bankcrupt?

will my wages be affected to pay debts off?

couldnt face the shame of my employers knowing ?

just not sure what to do.

I would say you have zero chance with the mortgage company. If you gave the keys back you would still be liable for the full mortgage (nt to mention lots of charges they would add for selling the house). Giving the keys back is an option used in the usa hence why you hear the term foreclosure used in the usa rather than repossession they are different.

I thought the morgage company would refuse but just taking as much advise as i can at the moment,

any suggestions or do we just let the payment go into arrears and have them repossess?

what would that achieve?

the would then sell the house for the max and i would then have the shortfall, what would happen then?

would they have to come to an arrangement for payments or would it then be best to declare bankruptcy?

If the mortgage company sold the house there is a good chance that they will get less for it than you would so its always best to try and sell yourself as you will still have the shortfall, i know you said the rent wouldnt pay the mortgage but if you are in a family members home and therefore paying out less in rent than you were in mortgage, would you be able to make up the shortfall between the rental on your property and the mortgage. If you could it would give you a bit longer to see if the housing market improves and then you could sell when it has.

Could you enter into an IVA for your unsecured debts as that would enable you to keep your house?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thanks for ur reply, we really no longer want to keep the house as we will be able to rent and have money left over to pay debts without struggling every month, if we were to sell at a loss can the shortfall be added to other debts in a dmp or iva?

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Should you decide to sell your house you would have to do it without the help of estate agents. Because there is no

equity in the house they reckon they won't get paid. Of course it is easier to sell property on line these days but when potential buyers know how

desperate you are to sell, they may well make considerably reduced offers. Are there any Housing Associations in your area who may be prepared

to give you a reasonable offer. Even selling at Auction might be problematic unless you can show the Auctioneers that you have cash behind you to

pay them.

• 8 months later...

Help and info please,

my husband and i are considering bankrupcy and voluntary repossesion,

we are about to go into morgage arrears and have debts of over 50k and can see no other option.

we have been offered to rent a family members home and want to do this,

we live on our overdraft every month and even then have not enough money left to live each month so borrow from family etc ,

we are in payment arrangements with most creditors but are sinking fast.

should we just let the arrears on morgage start until they start repossesion order or simply ask them to voluntary reposses?

there is negitive equity of around 30k on property.

Also having read up on bankrupcy

can anyone tell me how much we would be allowed for food etc when calculating an income payment form

as i understand we will handave to pay for 3 years.

I have lots of questions and will be taking advice from citizens advice soon .

Any help greatly appreciated.

We live in Scotland.

i've twice that debt and mortgage.

drop everything else and pay the mortgage

list your debts

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You cannot just give the house back without any repercussions I'm afraid since its in negative equity

Here are some fact sheets about BK from NDS

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/factsheet.php?page=01_bankruptcy

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/factsheet.php?page=16_negative_equity_what_can_i_do_if_i_want_to_move

here is some more reading

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/factsheet.php?page=26_help_with_your_mortgage

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/factsheet.php?page=22_debt_arrangement_scheme

Do you both work? Do you have any dependants?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

also moneysteps may help

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Thanks for this information,

we have decided that we would like to sell or hand back the keys and do a voluntary repossesion as we no longer want to stay in the house and are just existing every month.

If the morgage company wont allow us to sell do we have to wait until house is sold to go bankrupt and then include the shortfall, we will defonately seek advice from one of the mentioned help lines.

We will also be going into arrears from this month with all our debtors as there is simply not enough money to live on, we intend to have a deposit and rent for our future rental with this money.

Hello there.

You can go bankrupt wheneever you wish, either before or after you hand the house back. Since you took out the mortgage before the dtae oft he bankruptcy order any shortfall would be included. What you must not do, though, is sign a 'deed of acknowledgement' - which has the potential to make you liable for the shortfall debt after the bankruptcy. In short, never sign anything a lender tries to get you to sign unless you know what it is - or that you've sought further advice.

If you have any further questions regarding the process please give me a shout!

Seq.

Helllo Seq, Thank you for the reply, would you be able to advise me on what would be classed as reasonable living costs when it comes to the official receiver and the soa questions?

we plan to wait about 3 months and pay nothing so we have enough money for rent deposit and br charges,

also we opened a co op basic account last year and about to put our wages etc into this for bills etc,

would we be able to keep this as we need an account for wages etc.

many thanks in advance.

hello,

3 adults , me hubby and son ,

me and husband both work and our son is 27 and doing college degree,

he only has bursary and student loan so we dont take money from him,

he pays the internet and the rest he uses for travel books and his car.

can you also advise when we do the soa will it done jointly or separate?

do we need to still pay endowment policy even altho we intend to hand back keys when we have enough for deposit etc.

we have lots of questions and appreciate all the help we can get.

thanks

if the endowment if for the mortage then i a think this may be 'cashed in' if any value at the time to go to any creditors