• Tweets

• In this type of managed block most of the owners/tenants have other places elsewhwere and only use them occasionally so the concierge service have keys to ensure the smooth running of the block. Now I would be tempted to fit an old fashioned lock as well as the swipe pass if you are there all fo the time (subject to any necessary permissions). after all, it is for your convenience, not theirs
    • No-one can represent you as far as the debt liability goes so the CAB might have given your creditors a sob strory but that is not a representation by you so means nothing as far as the SB clock goes. My mum could admit that I owe money to a creditor and offer to pay but there is no relationship between her and the creditor so whatever she said or did wouldnt chaneg that. Now bailiffs like to pile on the guilt in trying to get relative to cough up for debts that arent theirs but they dont get paid otherwise.
    • Well, if they're living and working then they wouldn't be taking any state benefits surely?  So I dont see any issue.   Of course, the universal wage for all would eradicate any ill feeling towards people, and this constant narrative that someone is taking something from someone.  That's my real issue with capitalism if we move on slightly - we're all on different levels of the pyramid and most people are constantly looking over their shoulder at what the person next to them has.  Tory's talk about labour indulging in the politics of envy, but it's actually the capitalist free market system they have created which fuels this hatred towards other people.  I think that capitalism promotes competition and as such envy plays a big role in every one of us because we're all competing with one another...  better house, better car, better this and that.   Ask yourself if you'd be worried about an immigrant taking what you perceive to be yours by rights if there wasn't a more level playing field and people were treated equally regardless of where they were born/skin colour/gender etc?  People can't seriously be happy living like this.. constantly mistrusting, looking over your shoulder, paranoid, angry...
    • Could be a conflict of interest but if a family owned co you are not likely to get anyone else. can be someone of the same level. in all my years involved in union activity I have never met a licensed union chairman so mehtinks that you would be better off seeking independent advice or speak to the current branch officers of the union that has recognition/representation . If the confusion shown in your posts is translated into the workplace grievance procedures you may well end up worse off than with a simple and coherent presentation of your case so get someone else to be with you, ideally someone with the authority to actually represent you or the managers will fiond it difficult to undershatnd what it is you want
    • The result of not attending is already known to you. They will continue and the no show will count against you and may be worthy of dismissal in itself As for handing in your notice- too late, they are not obliged to accept it when a disciplinary hearing  is in the offing.
  • Our picks

FiveAlive

Freezing Interest on Credit Cards

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2472 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am about to start paying off 2 of my largest debts after about 1 year of not paying anything off and I'm looking for some advice. I'm wanting to contact both of the credit card companies and arrange to start paying off at least £200/month each, as long as they stop charging me interest. Is this going to be a possibility and if so what would I write to them to get this to happen?

The 2 debts are about £4000 (Barclaycard) and £1300 (MBNA). Would I be able to talk to them on the phone to arrange this or would I have to do it all by letter? I would appreciate any help you guys could give me as I don't want to unnecessarily be paying off more debt than I need to be.

Yes contact the creditors but please do it in writting and keep copies of all correspondence.

Also make sure your offers are accepted in writting and that the repayments are affordable and sustainable.

Make the offer conditional on the freezing of interest and charges.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You should probably not make contact by telephone in this matter. You need a paper trail and any agreement reduced to writing in case you need to rely on it at some point.

MBNA have been censured by the OFT for not considering people's circumstances and refusing to look at payment arrangement plans.

However, looking at what you are planning on offering .. £200 per month, then I think it is highly unlikely they will freeze interest or charges :(

It would be great if MBNA were to accept this as you would be shot of that within 12 months.

I am not sure what to advise for the best really.. I will flag your thread for more advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the replies so far. I will draft up a letter to them asking for them to consider dropping the charges/interest but I won't get my hopes up.

I suppose you could try ''take this or get £1 a month for a 100 years'' ploy:jaw:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please let us know how you get on :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes I will try that ploy - thanks! Also, what would be the best address for both MBNA and Barclaycard? Is there a special address I need to send it to or will any address on their website do?

The Head Office addresses would be best I find addressing these matters to compliance and legal departments.

The Head Office addresses would be best I find addressing these matters to compliance and legal departments.

Thanks again!

Ok here is my example letter...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re Account No: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am writing to you to arrange a repayment plan for the current debt on this account. Due to my financial circumstances I have been unable to make any payments towards this debt for the last few months. However, my circumstances have now changed and I am willing to discuss repayment.

I am currently looking to pay approximately £250 per month, providing we can come to an agreement that all interest charges and other charges be stopped on the account effective immediately. This is a special offer I am willing to make, which is completely contingent on the charges being stopped. I am able to make this offer because I am currently in a financial situation where I do not need to pay board/lodgings.

This situation can easily be changed if I so wish it to, and if you refuse to accept this offer I will be forced to offer you a token payment of £1 a month for the life of the debt.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours,

Mr. Five Alive

Thanks for the advice. I've sent them a letter a few days ago and I'm still waiting for a reply. I'll keep the thread updated with what their response is.

Just a couple of questions: if a person can afford say £200 per month repyment to a debt, and this covers the ongoing interest and any charges, why should the lender freeze interest and charges? Secondly, if a person can afford £200 pcm repayment would a lender being asked to freeze interest or charges threatened that they'll get £1 a month (despite the person being able to afford more) not feel rightly aggrieved and take a hard line?

pers i'd have offered nothing before getting all the statements out and looking

at reclaiming charges/ppi

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

OK, assuming that no PPI refund, no errors etc on CCA agreement etc etc, then move on to the 2 questions

Just covering ongoing interest and charges is pointless, with those frozen the debtor has at least some chance of actually

reducing the debt.

My point is if the repayment you're offering covers the interest etc and reduces the balance, albeit slowly, why should the creditor agree to freeze? When faced with the £1m pcm threat despite a person being able to afford more, it would be no surprise if some creditors decided to take a tough line when chasing the debt. Lots of people are only paying the min payment every month where the amount paid of the capital is pretty small and they wouldnt expect their lender to suspend charges/% etc just because it will take them years to pay back the money they had borrowed. Its worth re-stating here that freezing interest and charges is a matter for lenders discretion and in my experience they will take a commecial view about freezing combined with a regard for various lending codes etc that deal with debt collection practices, financial hardship etc. Most will cooperate if there is genuine financial problems but it could be argued that the case in this thread is not in that catagory.

IN most cases it is of benefit to debtor and creditor, the debt is reduce more quickly than if charges are add and interest added on the charges so the debt grow despite payment being made, common sense really.

Nick, I think you are missing the point - the OP was off work for well over a year and has now returned. Both these creditors would have continued to add interest and charges, it seems only fair that they should now reciprocate in some way.

It isnt as though the OP is trying to get out of paying, he just wants shot of the debt, without incurring more by way interest on interest.

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

I totally agree.

After looking at these response, perhaps I made a mistake saying what I did. Regardless of what they say I am going to start paying the debt off so the worse they can do to me is send me a snotty letter.

I would disregard posts 9&18 if making a decision.

Pay only what you can reasonably afford, don't use direct debits, standing orders are best and don't give out debit card details.

Ok I received a letter from MBNA today. It basically said... "thanks for your letter, we have updated your contact details". So I take it they are just going to use my new address to send more debt collectors after me?

Just an update for anyone who's interested... both MBNA and Barclaycard had sold the debt on months ago to another company, therefore all charges had stopped from that point. I'm currently paying back the agreed amount to the companies that now own the debts without any interest or charges being added on.

did you get all the statements through?

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets