AmyD

Misrepresentation by landlord

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2476 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I recently moved to Norwich to have some peace and quiet after a stressful job. Finding an affordable house to rent in the right area was difficult a the market is very competitive here. I found a perfect terraced house in my favourite area, applied and was successful. I noticed a notice in the kitchen window of my neighbour saying "loud, deaf musician lives here". As peace and quiet is my primary concern I asked the estate agent to contact the landlord about it before I paid my deposit. The message came back from the landlord to the estate agent that the notice had been there for years, it was just a joke and the landlord had never heard of any problems with the neighbour.

The neighbour actually IS a loud, deaf musician, who tutors rock groups at home several evenings a week, plays his own music late into the night (3am) on occasion and practices the drums regularly. I have tried to come to some sort of amicable agreement with him but he has been abusive and uncooperative. He said that every tenant before me had a problem with the noise but none of them had managed to get him to change. The neighbour is not only noisy but I know him to be violent, take drugs and drink to excess. I cannot withstand the stress of living here but I am unsure what my rights are. Even if the landlord didn't know about the noise, surely he should have checked out the problem rather than just told me that there was no problem?

My landlord took 6 months upfront rent (because I am self-employed) and I paid substantial fees to the estate agent (who I believe did not do due diligence). Can I get this all back?

You need to contact the local council envirnmental health team to look into it and perhaos take some readings and speak to neighbour.

there are strict rules on noise and levels and times, especially at night.

Keep a diary of when the noise levels are high.

Thanks for your reply. I am in contact with the council on this and have been keeping a noise diary. The problem is that he is a scary and unpredictable man who knows how to play the authorities on this. I moved in order to avoid stress and am not willing to enter into a conflict situation when it was completely avoidable from the outset - even if the council try to deal with him he will take it out on me and I shake when I see the neighbour not.

IMO you have no claim against the LL or agent.

However, you are free to go to court and let a judge decide!

If this persons behaviour is in any way abusive or threatening you must report it to the police stating you are in fear or him, you have the diary of events for evidence.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: