BankFodder BankFodder

Suppin

Going Abroad - Signing Off

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2571 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I may be going abroad in a couple of weeks and I have some questions regarding signing off.

At the moment I do not know if I will be going for definite or not and I won't know for sure until either the night before I go or the morning on the day I go. How do I go about signing off at such short notice? The day I will be leaving is a Sunday as well, which may cause complications with the staff's availability.

If I go I will be leaving in the afternoon on Sunday the 13th and will arrive back in the evening on Sunday the 20th. For what period do I have to sign off? The 13th to the 20th? Or since I will be in the country for part of the 13th and 20th, would I only have to sign off from the 14th to the 19th?

Edit:

I seem to remember hearing before that we were permitted so many days off a year in holiday without actually signing off. I don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm?

Second edit:

I believe I'm also allowed two weeks of sick a year? So could I take that week off sick (it will be the first time I've taken time off sick)? My understanding is that if you take a week off sick you aren't even required to meet your JSAG during that period, but you still receive your full benefit. Can anyone correct me on this?

Edited by Suppin

No you can't legally declare it as a period of sickness if you are going abroad that is a declaration of fraud which I believe is not condoned on CAG.

You can e-mail the JCP to advise that you have had to go abroad at short notice contact the office to get the e-mail address and that should suffice.

The allowable holidays are for temporary short periods of absence within the UK and British Isles

I'm not so sure that it would be fraud if I took the period off sick. I'm not going to go into too much detail due to it being personal, but due to an emotional event I have had major problems sleeping for a month and sleeping medication has no effect on me. If the problem hasn't fixed itself by Sunday next week then I will be going abroad in an attempt to resolve the issue (which is why I won't know if I am going until the last minute as I am hoping to avoid the trip). I may not be going abroad to see a doctor or anything, but the cause of the problem lies overseas and I don't see any way for me to fix it other than to go and confront the issue.

Would this not be a valid reason for taking a period of sickness? While I am not too ill too look for work or visit the job centre, this is still a problem. Nobody is going to want to employ a worker who is constantly tired.

as you have a few weeks before you go abroad, you should explain the full facts to your Jobcentre Advisor who will be able to advise you of the steps you need to take to sign off and back on again

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

No you are not entitled to receive JSA whilst abroad unless it is for a job interview that is notified in advance or for accompanying a family memeber abroad for medical treatment sorry.

You can't specify that you are personally unwell and then leave the country whilst still claiming and receiving JSA, that would be considered a fraudulent declaration.

OK. So what period do I have to sign off from? The 13th to the 20th or the 14th to the 19th? I will be looking for work on every day in that period anyway. So the amount of stuff my JSAg asks me to do will be met even though I won't be claiming JSA. Based on that should I just sign off from the 14th to the 19th since I will both be in the country and actively seeking work on the 13th and the 20th even though I will not be there for the entire day?

You sign off with the last day of your claim as the day before you leave the country and then make a rapid reclaim on your return.