Obesity: Fat People Could Face Benefit Cuts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is yet another totally unworkable idea.

Who decides which claimants are obese and have to go to the gym? What about obese claimants for whom the gym is unsuitable? (I was refused admission to my local, council run, gym because they couldn't guarantee my safety - i.e. they were worried I'd sue when I killed myself)

What do claimants have to do to meet the 'gym' requirement? Turn up? Participate? Who decides which claimants have participated?

Picture the scenario. Council employee says 'Right, Mrs Fat Person, if you don't go to the gym we're not paying your rent.'

Mrs Fat Person 'OK, but what do I have to do at the gym?'

Council person 'Whatever they tell you to do.'

Two weeks later.

Council person 'Sorry, we can't pay your rent this week. You didn't do what they told you at the gym.'

Mrs Fat Person 'I did try, but they took me to hospital in an ambulance halfway through the Salsa class. I had a heart attack.'

Council person 'That's unfortunate, but since you didn't finish the class we still can't pay your rent.'

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is yet another totally unworkable idea.

Who decides which claimants are obese and have to go to the gym? What about obese claimants for whom the gym is unsuitable? (I was refused admission to my local, council run, gym because they couldn't guarantee my safety - i.e. they were worried I'd sue when I killed myself)

What do claimants have to do to meet the 'gym' requirement? Turn up? Participate? Who decides which claimants have participated?

Picture the scenario. Council employee says 'Right, Mrs Fat Person, if you don't go to the gym we're not paying your rent.'

Mrs Fat Person 'OK, but what do I have to do at the gym?'

Council person 'Whatever they tell you to do.'

Two weeks later.

Council person 'Sorry, we can't pay your rent this week. You didn't do what they told you at the gym.'

Mrs Fat Person 'I did try, but they took me to hospital in an ambulance halfway through the Salsa class. I had a heart attack.'

Council person 'That's unfortunate, but since you didn't finish the class we still can't pay your rent.'

Yes, unworkable. I remember when my cousin's wife was told to go swimming, because she had issues mobilising and was also very obese, but she couldn't walk from the car park to the pool, and couldn't get out of the pool without substantial help - a humiliating experience for her.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

How are they going to prove whose obesity is self inflicted and whose isn't? Mum was told for years there's nothing wrong with her. She has an underactive (?) thyroid.

I have a friend who is overweight. The council give her direct payments (or something like that) for her to go to the gym each week. To me, that is a good idea. But not everyone is able to do that.

There must be many people caught in the 'can't exercise due to disability pain so can't lose weight' trap as well as all those with medical conditions or taking medication which causes you to gain weight.

I have non-existent thyroid function. To maintain my weight I have to eat less than 600 calories a day, which is not healthy and is also fairly difficult. No amount of exercise, even if I could do it, is going to make any difference.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Equality in healtcare is a must. If first-class doesn't want to pay taxed to fund "gorgers smokers and illicit drug takers" by the same token I might not want to fund healthcare for sports injuries, joint replacements caused by wear and tear during high impact sports. Broken bones, smashed bodies all caused by extreme sports. Where does it stop?

Overweight people and those suffering from the disease of addiction need support and understanding. They don't need to be treated like something scraped off a shoe. They're not the scourge of society as the government would have us believe. It saddens me to see people look at others with distain x

• Haha 1

scotgal 

I think like everything else, until it happens to you you don't have any idea what it feels like to have someone in the street take one look at you and just assume that you eat too much whilst never moving off the sofa.

What's worse is that some members of the medical profession are guilty of doing exactly the same thing even when they know your history.

RMW

I think like everything else, until it happens to you you don't have any idea what it feels like to have someone in the street take one look at you and just assume that you eat too much whilst never moving off the sofa.

What's worse is that some members of the medical profession are guilty of doing exactly the same thing even when they know your history.

Yes, obesity has become the last acceptable prejudice. I expect in years to come when science proves the lack of control some people have over their weight, and that it is, in fact caused by biochemistry and not by behaviour, some people will feel very bad. Read Gary Taubes: Why we get fat - an excellent read, backed up by good science (there is so much bad science around nowadays).

We need to remember that this was a news STORY. It makes a good headline but i can't see it happening partly as the cost would be prohibitive.

As for the comment about charging people for perceived health problems because it is their "choice" don't forget to charge women for having babies and the extra costs involved of anti and post natal. You also forgot the people with sickle cell because they should never have been born or the disabled,they could have been aborted. And as for the poofs with HIV. well lets ship em all off to an island.

That btw is sarcasm from one poof who is thankfully negative.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

The benefits of exercise are real and do not just enhance physical fitness (not necessarily weight loss) but also mental health issues such as depression

I'm sure, but that's hardly the issue here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

The benefits of exercise are real and do not just enhance physical fitness (not necessarily weight loss) but also mental health issues such as depression

Lots of things are beneficial, but we can't be going around forcing people to do things we believe are beneficial. It's like saying condoms help protect against STI's, anyone on benefits who has been diagnosed with an STI must show condom purchases on their card, and if they get another STI (showing lack of use of purchased condoms) their benefit will be docked.

The first thing people will do, knowing that a visit to their doctor may get them a prescription that if they don't comply with, will result in a benefit sanction - is to stop going to see the doctor. Now you have lots of people at risk who won't see a doctor - how long before we would see the first deaths? Doctors would refuse to comply, it would be considered a huge conflict of interest with patient care - you can't treat them if they won't see you. Not to mention the whole confidentiality issue. A stupid idea by stupid people.

Strangely enough that is not what my GP said.

He suggested I get my depression under some form of control first - and then we start to tackle the weight problem.

His theory is I have enough to contend with at the moment - without adding.

Imagine if I or people like me were made to go to the Gym.

We already suffer from low self esteem, fear of going out - how would this exactly help us.

He suggested I get my depression under some form of control first - and then we start to tackle the weight problem.

We already suffer from low self esteem, fear of going out - how would this exactly help us.

Yes, true, my husband is just on the overweight/obese border, but due to mental health issues couldn't go in a gym or pool or any organised fitness activity, even if his life depended on it.

Lots of things are beneficial, but we can't be going around forcing people to do things we believe are beneficial. It's like saying condoms help protect against STI's, anyone on benefits who has been diagnosed with an STI must show condom purchases on their card, and if they get another STI (showing lack of use of purchased condoms) their benefit will be docked.

The first thing people will do, knowing that a visit to their doctor may get them a prescription that if they don't comply with, will result in a benefit sanction - is to stop going to see the doctor. Now you have lots of people at risk who won't see a doctor - how long before we would see the first deaths? Doctors would refuse to comply, it would be considered a huge conflict of interest with patient care - you can't treat them if they won't see you. Not to mention the whole confidentiality issue. A stupid idea by stupid people.

Funny how this works out - I wanted to give you rep for this, but I can't :wink:

I am a Site Team member! The universe will obey me!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Well, quite. Under certain circumstances, I guess there may be reasons why people should be encouraged to exercise - after discussion with their doctors, of course. But it's a matter for patient and doctor, not for government. And no way in hell should anyone be coerced into gym attendance on pain of losing benefits.

Funny how this works out - I wanted to give you rep for this, but I can't :wink:

I am a Site Team member! The universe will obey me!

:) Now if only you could exterminate right wing politics...

:) Now if only you could exterminate right wing politics...

"This is not war, this is pest control!"

Eh, it can be hard being a Doctor Who fan.

Certainly at the moment, I can't stand Matt Smith.

You can't? I think he's great.

I admit I was skeptical at first, but I'm amazed at the way such a young man manages to act "old". To be fair, he's only about 10 years younger than me, so I dunno.

Plus, Karen Gillan. I mean, what more need I say? Karen Gillan, right?!

You can't? I think he's great.

I admit I was skeptical at first, but I'm amazed at the way such a young man manages to act "old". To be fair, he's only about 10 years younger than me, so I dunno.

Plus, Karen Gillan. I mean, what more need I say? Karen Gillan, right?!

actually the only thing that made the recent series watchable for me was Rory. Karen Gillan is alright, but I guess I'm not the target demographic there :). I just don't find Matt Smith believeable as an old dude, and not keen on his 'acting' in general. I was far too spolied by David Tennant. But I also think the writing has been sloppy - I mean spitfires in space???? Flying sharks???? Too kiddified. Though saying all this, I really enjoyed the recent christmas episode, I felt the writing was back to be being great, again - Stephen Moffat back to his best.

And desperately trying to make this relevant to the thread - Doctor Who would not approve of obese people being targeted - even if he does make racist comments about his Sontaren friend. Very weak link - almost absent.

actually the only thing that made the recent series watchable for me was Rory. Karen Gillan is alright, but I guess I'm not the target demographic there :). I just don't find Matt Smith believeable as an old dude, and not keen on his 'acting' in general. I was far too spolied by David Tennant. But I also think the writing has been sloppy - I mean spitfires in space???? Flying sharks???? Too kiddified. Though saying all this, I really enjoyed the recent christmas episode, I felt the writing was back to be being great, again - Stephen Moffat back to his best.

And desperately trying to make this relevant to the thread - Doctor Who would not approve of obese people being targeted - even if he does make racist comments about his Sontaren friend. Very weak link - almost absent.

Ah, yes, relevance to the thread. Um. The Doctor fights for the weak and vulnerable, the misfits and the dispossessed. Bob Dylan would sing "Chimes of Freedom" in his honour. I dunno, best I can do for now.

Rory was great, I agree. "Would you like me to repeat the question?" The way that character developed was wonderful.

And Karen Gillan? I am exactly the target demographic, being a straight male and all. So, you know, yes. I mean, really, yes. Granted, I'm too old and ugly, but "a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" I think that might be Robert Browning or someone.

I liked Tennant as well, but felt that some of the later scripts were getting a bit, well, messianic. And as a floppy haired guy who rambles a lot, Matt Smith just works for me. Plus, his tune is the best.

Ah, yes, relevance to the thread. Um. The Doctor fights for the weak and vulnerable, the misfits and the dispossessed. Bob Dylan would sing "Chimes of Freedom" in his honour. I dunno, best I can do for now.

Rory was great, I agree. "Would you like me to repeat the question?" The way that character developed was wonderful.

And Karen Gillan? I am exactly the target demographic, being a straight male and all. So, you know, yes. I mean, really, yes. Granted, I'm too old and ugly, but "a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" I think that might be Robert Browning or someone.

I liked Tennant as well, but felt that some of the later scripts were getting a bit, well, messianic. And as a floppy haired guy who rambles a lot, Matt Smith just works for me. Plus, his tune is the best.

Hmmm, I think the things you like about Matt Smith, are the things I don't like - go figure. Agree to disagree? For me with Tennant, it was his ability to portray emotions - you know, a look that says a thousand words - hey, I may be a sci fi geek, but I'm still a girl and like the mushy, feelings and stuff. Was actually watching some of the Catherine Tate season today.

Oh, of course. Everyone has their own views on the various Doctors, and I certainly don't want to diss David Tennant - he was wonderful. I mean, he stormed through "Blink" and he was hardly even in that episode. What more can you say?

But I'm sure that Matt Smith would fight to ensure that this ridiculous policy never came into effect. I mean, he's me. Except younger, cleverer and better looking.