Concerns Regarding New Employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I'm due to start work with a new employer shortly, and to put it mildly, they're ringing some alarm bells with me. Firstly, they're a relatively new start up company, which never fills me with confidence, but briefly:

1. At interview I was told that the achievable bonus is £500 pcm (I never believed this to start off with, so no harm no foul there). In my written offer of employment, this had dropped to £250pcm, with much more foggy instructions on how it's to be achieved. In my contract of employment, it's now turned into "As detailed by the company, from time to time".

2. There is a LOT of "hours of work to be from Xam to Xpm, but whatever is required to 'get the job done'" going on in the contract, but no mention of overtime or time in lieu whatsoever. There's also this paragraph, and these two issues combined are making my spidey senses tingle:

By signing this contract you agree that the maximum average working time of 48 hours in any seven-day period shall not apply to your employment with us and that your average working time may therefore exceed 48 hours in any seven-day period.

The position is salaried, but I've worked out that I could do roughly 45 hours before I dropped below minimum wage, which works out at about an hour a day extra. What is hinted at on the contract is that more (possibly at lot more) than this will likely be required, and quite possibly weekend working too, which is something definitely not mentioned up until now.

Unfortunately, I was given this application by a JCP adviser so I can't turn it down.

I can't decide whether I should just shut up, start work and look for another job A.S.A.P or email them tomorrow asking directly about TIL/overtime/bonus arrangements and risk hacking them off before I've even started.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hi everyone.

I'm due to start work with a new employer shortly, and to put it mildly, they're ringing some alarm bells with me. Firstly, they're a relatively new start up company, which never fills me with confidence, but briefly:

1. At interview I was told that the achievable bonus is £500 pcm (I never believed this to start off with, so no harm no foul there). In my written offer of employment, this had dropped to £250pcm, with much more foggy instructions on how it's to be achieved. In my contract of employment, it's now turned into "As detailed by the company, from time to time".

2. There is a LOT of "hours of work to be from Xam to Xpm, but whatever is required to 'get the job done'" going on in the contract, but no mention of overtime or time in lieu whatsoever. There's also this paragraph, and these two issues combined are making my spidey senses tingle:

The position is salaried, but I've worked out that I could do roughly 45 hours before I dropped below minimum wage, which works out at about an hour a day extra. What is hinted at on the contract is that more (possibly at lot more) than this will likely be required, and quite possibly weekend working too, which is something definitely not mentioned up until now.

Unfortunately, I was given this application by a JCP adviser so I can't turn it down.

I can't decide whether I should just shut up, start work and look for another job A.S.A.P or email them tomorrow asking directly about TIL/overtime/bonus arrangements and risk hacking them off before I've even started.

Given that the Terms and Conditions of the job that you have been offered are substantially different from the job that you applied for, it is worth invoking due diligence, and seeking clarification on the points of concern.

Whereas, in your correspondance, you should emphasize the fact that you are grateful for the opportunity, you remain nonetheless concerned about a number of issues.

On the one hand, the employer may satisfy your concerns.... but., if not, you are better off without being party to a start up business with no future, and if the employer withdraws the offer, at least you have protected your interests.

• Confused 1

That's pretty much how I feel about it...I'm just not sure how the job centre would take it if they do withdraw the offer.

I think I'm probably being over sensitive because my last employer was an absolute nightmare in every respect, but I'm also concerned about starting a new job with them already thinking that I'm going to stir the pot, or be difficult over hours/conditions.

Just to clarify, every job I've ever had I've done a fair bit of unpaid over time, but that was my choice because I like to leave at the end of the day knowing I've got a clean slate for the morning. I'm just put off by the fact that it seems to be required by this lot.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Advertising sales??

However did you guess, Brig? You been in my emails or something? LOL

Ah put a few of these bu**ers out of business in the past, adverts on maps, station., diaries, supermarket notices, spurios ''official'' diaries etc best avoided, imo.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I'd love to Brig, sadly avoiding them isn't an option if I don't want a nice big sanction from the job centre. My adviser emailed me congratulating me on my new job less than an hour after I knew I had it.

I'd love to Brig, sadly avoiding them isn't an option if I don't want a nice big sanction from the job centre. My adviser emailed me congratulating me on my new job less than an hour after I knew I had it.

If you want to pm me on the type of advertising I'll see what I can find out still have some ''contacts'' around.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Have you signed and returned the contract yet?

If not, you could strike out the clause opting out of the average 48 hour maximum working week.

It's possible that the employer may rescind the offer of employment if you do this.

However, in those circumstances, I don't think that you could be sanctioned by the job centre.

No, I haven't returned anything yet. I think I'm actually going to request clarification via email and see where it goes from there.