AA Warranty Failure

Enzo503
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Some advice please if anyone can I do not know where to go with this.

I purchased a second hand car from a main dealer last year.

All bells and whistles regarding warranty key care etc etc.

the car is on a 06 plate and has covered less the 55k on the clock. has full main dealer history etc.

The car broke down with a high pressure fuel pump failure (diesel pump) and the total cost of repair is £4200

The aa will only cover £2000 of the cost refusing to pay for clamps and clasps and any pipe work for the repair and also wont cover for the fuel tank.

They will only cover £35 hourly rate.

The main dealer where I purchased the car have basically said "tough" speak to the warranty people.

we still owe over £5000 on the car on finance believing we would have 3 years of peace of mind motoring.

I feel extremely ripped off right about now.

Does anyone know where I stand with this as I can not believe I have to fork out another 2k for this car!

thanks in advance

Unfortunately I am going to be away from my PC after tonight for a few days so cannot advise fully on just the info posted.

When you say "purchased last year", can you be more specific. If it's within the last 6 months, you should be dealing with the dealer and not the warranty co anyway. Under the SOGA, the onus is on the seller to show that the fault was not present at the point of sale. In such circumstances the warranty is merely an extention of your statutory rights. Depending on how long you have owned the car will depend on whether the dealer should be using the warranty co themselves or you should be. My advice if you have only owned the car less than 6 months is formally write to the dealer and requesting that they repair at no cost to you as per SOGA.

If however you are beyond that timescale, have you actually checked the terms of the warranty? Does it actually state what you have been told?

As I said, I won't be back on till Saturday evening so hopefully Conniff will pick up on this but he will need some more info from you.

This link may help you in the meantime; http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/cars_buying_a_car_e/cars_buying_a_secondhand_car_e/cars_what_to_watch_out_for_when_buying_a_second_hand_car_e/buying_a_car_from_a_dealer_what_you_need_to_know.htm

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi thanks for your response.

The car was purchased 09/12/11

it is a renault clio 1.5 diesel.

the aa warranty Gold cover that I assumed would cover eveything as told & sold by the renault dealership in eastbourne states in the booklet what is excluded

bodywork, paintwork, light units, interior & exterior trim, glass including mirrors, handles and hinges, cables, pipes, wires, belts, fastners, exhausts systems, alarms, tracker units, immobilisers, central locking remote control unit, in car entertainment systems, seats, seat belt systems and air bag systems.

They said over the phone that the fuel tank is not covered as its not electrical or a mechanical part. I mean what do they actually cover? the pipe work that needs replacing is integral to the engine working.

The finance is from rci which is a renault based finance scheme. the finance is on the car. with such a major fault basically and engine blown. am I in my rights to cancel the finance and let them take the car back?

The finance is from rci which is a renault based finance scheme. the finance is on the car. with such a major fault basically and engine blown. am I in my rights to cancel the finance and let them take the car back?

Are you sure it is a HP agreement and not a loan agreement? IF HP and you have paid over 50% you could probably surrender the car back to them.

No finance company will allow you to VT/surrender a vehicle where the vehicle isn't in working condition. It will be clearly stated in the T&C's.

Not what you want to hear, but unless the items they are refusing to pay for are not items stated in the exclusions of the warranty you will have little chance of them suddenly deciding to pay for them. Fuel tank doesn't have a "working" element to it so will most likely be excluded.

The vehicle was sold more than a year ago, so you cannot rely on the SOGA.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I dont think you have much to work with in this case.

Hi all,

Some advice please if anyone can I do not know where to go with this.

I purchased a second hand car from a main dealer last year.

All bells and whistles regarding warranty key care etc etc.

the car is on a 06 plate and has covered less the 55k on the clock. has full main dealer history etc.

The car broke down with a high pressure fuel pump failure (diesel pump) and the total cost of repair is £4200

The aa will only cover £2000 of the cost refusing to pay for clamps and clasps and any pipe work for the repair and also wont cover for the fuel tank.

They will only cover £35 hourly rate.

The main dealer where I purchased the car have basically said "tough" speak to the warranty people.

we still owe over £5000 on the car on finance believing we would have 3 years of peace of mind motoring.

I feel extremely ripped off right about now.

Does anyone know where I stand with this as I can not believe I have to fork out another 2k for this car!

thanks in advance

Hello Enzo503 This is something that we would like to look into for you, if you do have any outstanding queries then please email [email protected] with reference FOR30464. Regards, the Official Representative of The AA