• Tweets

• In this type of managed block most of the owners/tenants have other places elsewhwere and only use them occasionally so the concierge service have keys to ensure the smooth running of the block. Now I would be tempted to fit an old fashioned lock as well as the swipe pass if you are there all fo the time (subject to any necessary permissions). after all, it is for your convenience, not theirs
    • No-one can represent you as far as the debt liability goes so the CAB might have given your creditors a sob strory but that is not a representation by you so means nothing as far as the SB clock goes. My mum could admit that I owe money to a creditor and offer to pay but there is no relationship between her and the creditor so whatever she said or did wouldnt chaneg that. Now bailiffs like to pile on the guilt in trying to get relative to cough up for debts that arent theirs but they dont get paid otherwise.
    • Well, if they're living and working then they wouldn't be taking any state benefits surely?  So I dont see any issue.   Of course, the universal wage for all would eradicate any ill feeling towards people, and this constant narrative that someone is taking something from someone.  That's my real issue with capitalism if we move on slightly - we're all on different levels of the pyramid and most people are constantly looking over their shoulder at what the person next to them has.  Tory's talk about labour indulging in the politics of envy, but it's actually the capitalist free market system they have created which fuels this hatred towards other people.  I think that capitalism promotes competition and as such envy plays a big role in every one of us because we're all competing with one another...  better house, better car, better this and that.   Ask yourself if you'd be worried about an immigrant taking what you perceive to be yours by rights if there wasn't a more level playing field and people were treated equally regardless of where they were born/skin colour/gender etc?  People can't seriously be happy living like this.. constantly mistrusting, looking over your shoulder, paranoid, angry...
    • Could be a conflict of interest but if a family owned co you are not likely to get anyone else. can be someone of the same level. in all my years involved in union activity I have never met a licensed union chairman so mehtinks that you would be better off seeking independent advice or speak to the current branch officers of the union that has recognition/representation . If the confusion shown in your posts is translated into the workplace grievance procedures you may well end up worse off than with a simple and coherent presentation of your case so get someone else to be with you, ideally someone with the authority to actually represent you or the managers will fiond it difficult to undershatnd what it is you want
    • The result of not attending is already known to you. They will continue and the no show will count against you and may be worthy of dismissal in itself As for handing in your notice- too late, they are not obliged to accept it when a disciplinary hearing  is in the offing.
  • Our picks

Synergist

Are these courier terms re. 'perishable items' unenforceable?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2507 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've used ParcelMonkey a few times recently; most recently I was arranging a return for the boss and PM came out cheapest on their bulk rate. No great surprise there, but what did pique my interest was the definition of 'perishable items' in their T&Cs -- as well as their no-compensation and prohibited items list.

In their T&Cs (parcelmonkey.co.uk/terms-and-conditions) it reads (emphasis added):

4.3. The Company will not, without its specific agreement with its Carriers, carry livestock, liquids, perishable goods, glass, guns, LCD screens, plasma screens, CRT screens, LED screens, china, porcelain, pots, vases, ceramics, un wrapped furniture, freestanding furniture, un packaged goods, damaged goods, gases, pyrotechnics, arms and ammunition or corrosive, toxic, flammable, explosive, oxidising or radioactive materials, toy guns or replica guns, weapons, toy weapons or replica weapons.

4.4. For the purpose of Section 4.3. above, perishable goods are classified by the Company as animals (including birds, fish, insects, larvae, pupae etc); animal products; antiques and art works; banderols/tax stickers;bullion (or any precious metal); cash-like negotiable instruments in bearer form (this would include but not be limited to cash, bank notes, currency, vouchers, securities, pre-paid phone cards, activated SIM cards and unused stamps); costume jewellery over £250 in value; food; jewellery and objects constructed of precious metals and/or stones, loose precious stones (including industrial diamonds); legal drugs and pharmaceutical products; medical samples (includes bodily fluids and tissue samples); micro processors, electronic components, mobile telephones and accessories over £250 in value; designer clothing, apparel and accessories over £250 in value; flowers and plant products; furs and garments trimmed with fur; hazardous goods; human remains or ashes; irreplaceable/unique items; perishable items that require a temperature controlled environment; personal data; This list of items is not exhaustive and may be amended by The Company from time to time as published on The Company's website at parcelmonkey.com.

I couldn't believe it when I read that they'd defined designer clothing, apparel and accessories - over £250 in value, no less - as a perishable item! How is this justifiable? Subsequent Googling of other couriers' T&Cs with regards to perishable items yielded only the standard fare; foodstuffs, livestock or stuffed animals, etc.

In addition, PM's "no-compensation carriage" list is bizarre (parcelmonkey.co.uk/prohibitedItems.php) and includes a mixture of reasonable and completely bizarre specifications with no promise of compensation should they be damaged. (Even if they're packaged correctly?!)

Apple IMac (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Apple IPad (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Apple IPhone (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Apple Macbook (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Apple Macbook Pro (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Apple Powermac (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Camera Lenses (SLR) (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Mobile Phones Valued Over £250 (carried on a no-compensation basis)

Personal Effects (carried on a no-compensation basis)

This all strikes me as overly optimistic on their behalf and vastly overreaching; of course you have to consent to the T&Cs before you book a courier - so should a complaint ever arise over an item damaged or nondelivered they can just fold their arms and say "well, as you agreed, we hereby refer you to the response in Arkell v. Pressdram" and subsequently ignore you.

Now whilst any company's entitled to state what it wishes or does not wish to carry on behalf of customers, if the individual couriers' own T&Cs are less restrictive than the third party broker (Parcel Monkey) would it not be arguable that their own T&Cs are unenforceable as the additional restrictions are arbitrary and, in some cases, punitive?

I can't afford to send a laptop hoping it'll get broken to then file a test case, so I'm interested to hear what people think of all this from a purely academic standpoint. Are there any relevant precedents?