dondonlondon

Block of flats remedial works invoices for leaseholders.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2478 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi I am desperate for help!

Years ago this site helped me limp out of debt and beat down the horrible debt collectors and keep them away.

I am now blessed with a clear credit history, two morguages and a baby!

Righto, I bought a flat in a block of flats with a service charge of £1,500 annually.a few years later i met my partner and let the flat to my dad at a discounted rate, the bank gave me another residential mortgage and we now live in a lovely little two up two down.

Life is great...we'll...

The service charges on this flat have now gone up to £3,000 per year! But thats life, what I cant handle is the invoice i got earlier in 2012 for £6,000 for my share of the new boiler. Not good, but i managed to pay it.

Today I have just had another invoice for "phase 1" of the new building works. for £5,600.

I can just about pay this with our new car, rainy day and holiday fund savings. But that it. They now tell me there is going to be more bills this year and next for roughly £10,000!!!!!

I owe £131k on the flat and it worth £120K if i am lucky. The lease is 67 years and a new one is £12k.

What are my options? I don't appear to have any.

They say if i don't pay they will issue legal proceedings. But there is no more money, i would pay if i could but i would need to borrow the money.

Any advice on this, or where best to get advice would really help me.

Please please help.

Thanks.

Don

Have a read here - http://www.lease-advice.org/publications/documents/document.asp?item=14

I noticed this:

Service charges can go up or down without any limit, but the landlord can only recover those costs which are reasonable. Leaseholders have rights to challenge service charges that they feel are unreasonable at the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal.

So maybe if you and some other residents get together and start asking questions about these costs the Landlords might change their minds.

Edited by ashmk

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

Moved into the Residential/Commercial Lettings and Freehold Issues forum for more input.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)