• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ashbourne Cancellation Question

Freizah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3785 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been at this gym for 6 months, 5 on the debit card since I had to pay 1 month up front cash.

It's been getting worse since I joined with no signs of improvement. The toilets and showers are extremely dirty, with things breaking all over the place. A lot of the machines are broke, or damaged, dumbbells lose, lights hanging out of fixtures in the bathroom, insects everywhere, never clean, latches loose, floor uneven, so some machines are, none of the improvements told at joining have been introduced since.

I also have OCD, in which is officially recognized by my doctor, so I can't handle this place no more with how dirty and dangerous it is. I asked the manager to cancel it with them, he said he tried but they can't do it. Even though someone else I knew left a month back.

I have about 60 photos of the place in bad condition as evidence against them, and the gym manager can't even afford to finish a little painting he started, so they can't afford to fix all this. I could easily call health and safety and the place would probably be shut down, but I don't want to do that with him since he's cool.

What Should I say to ashbourne on the phone?

Do nothing on the phone. Do it all in writing.

Send them a small selection of the photos - no more than 5.

Tell them that you have complained previously and nothibg has been done. therefore you are terminating your contract and that if they do not agree, that you will sue them and make it all known to the press.

You need proof that you have told them this, you need proof of how they reply... If you are intent on discussing this over the phone and confirming what is said in writing, make sure you record the call... or don't waste your time talking to some underpaid lacky who has no authority to do anything and just write the letter in the 1st place :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi Freizah,

You must put the complaint in writing so you have a clear record of all that's said. Without this, the gym and/or Ashbourne Mgt can deny anything they want.

First off, address your complaint to the GYM. You can say you've already talked to the gym Mgr about this but you're unhappy that he appears unable to cancel your m/ship when it is clear there are serious problems. Give the gym 14 days to agree to cancel your m/ship.

Send them the letter by Rec'd Del'y or get a staff member to sign a receipt when you hand-deliver the letter.

Can you also confirm the length of the contract that you're signed up for.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Okay, I'll write to them. The contract length was 12 months, and I've paid 5 debits on the card, and 1 in cash while it was being set up, but I'm no sure if that counts a payment to Ashbourne.

I already asked him to call and cancel it because I said I wanted to paid cash instead (which is more) so he wouldn't get suspicious of us trying to leave since many have left the place, most are still paying the gym and not using it. He said it wasn't possible due to cashflow problems and the crap a few days later. I don't really want to walk in and say to them, if you don't clean this up, I'm leaving, because they're like a small community in the gym, so if I say stuff like that, I wouldn't get a warm welcome on future visits which is not what I want when training. So I'll just print some pictures off and send them a letter, do you have any quick templates I could copy because I suck at writing legal letters to places like this, and I want it to sound really convincing to get the job done.

The photos I have are also around 6 weeks old and the gym is the same, if not worse now, no changes.

Hi Freizah,

It sounds like you're already past the stage of wanting a warm welcome on future visits. If the place is so bad and you want, or have, to leave because of this, you need to complain.

All you need to say in a letter to the gym is :-

Dear sir or madam,

I have been a member of the club since xxdate and, since joining, the facilities have deteriorated.

My complaints specifically include broken or damaged equipment, dirty or filthy conditions in terms of cleanliness and hygiene, loose light fittings, poor flooring, etc. No attempts to improve the situation appear to have been made.

Old and damaged equipment has not been repaired or replaced, despite suggestions that this would happen.

For these reasons, I am terminating my membership with immediate effect.

If you instruct or allow Ashbourne Management Services to pursue for payments, I will hold you responsible for their actions and take action against you as necessary.

Yours faithfully,

Send your letter to the gym by Rec'd Delivery or get a receipt for it if you deliver it by hand.

AMSL will probably chase you for payments but we'll help you deal with this in due course. Don't respond to AMSL or the gym until you've told us how they've replied to your cancellation letter.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Ok, so I send the letter to the gym and not inform Ashbourne at all? And it means I'll have to find a new club in the meantime since I won't be able to go back there after sending a letter like that. Should I include photos for the gym manager to see, he already knows the state of his equipment and they would only be useful for evidence if Ashbourne pursue right? And should I cancel my DD then? And When you say AMSL will chase for payments, they won't try and file any CCJ's against me will they? Thanks for all the help so far :)

Ok, so I send the letter to the gym and not inform Ashbourne at all? And it means I'll have to find a new club in the meantime since I won't be able to go back there after sending a letter like that. Should I include photos for the gym manager to see, he already knows the state of his equipment and they would only be useful for evidence if Ashbourne pursue right? And should I cancel my DD then? And When you say AMSL will chase for payments, they won't try and file any CCJ's against me will they? Thanks for all the help so far :)

Bump on the DD and AMSL, because if I should cancel it I have a club I could join today :)

Hi Freizah,

And it means I'll have to find a new club in the meantime since I won't be able to go back there after sending a letter like that.

It sounds again like you don't want to cancel and leave the gym. If that's the case, don't write the letter and continue to use the facilities as they are.

However, if you DO want to cancel, write as per my suggestion. You can simply tell them that you have photos of the shoddy conditions and you'll use these if necessary to prove why you are forced to cancel.

In the circumstances, AMSL would be very foolish to take the case to court and this is not their usual modus operandi. So YES, ignore them for now.

Hi Freizah,

It sounds again like you don't want to cancel and leave the gym. If that's the case, don't write the letter and continue to use the facilities as they are.

However, if you DO want to cancel, write as per my suggestion. You can simply tell them that you have photos of the shoddy conditions and you'll use these if necessary to prove why you are forced to cancel.

In the circumstances, AMSL would be very foolish to take the case to court and this is not their usual modus operandi. So YES, ignore them for now.

Oh, trust me I want to leave, the place is a mess. I cancelled my DD now, I just heard bad things about Ashbourne when it came to CCJ's so was worried.

Anyway, I adjusted the letter accordingly:

Dear Mr. [Owners Surname]

I have been a member of the club since July 2012 and, since joining, the facilities have deteriorated.

My complaints specifically include broken or damaged equipment, dirty or filthy conditions in terms of cleanliness and hygiene in the wet room and equipment, loose light fittings, poor uneven flooring, etc. No attempts to improve the situation appear to have been made since I joined.

Old and damaged equipment has not been repaired or replaced, despite suggestions that this would happen when I first joined. I was also told of new equipment being installed before 2013, which never happened.

I have photographic evidence displaying the said problems, from various dates, and if forced, will use them as proof of why I have been forced to cancel my membership.

For these reasons, I am terminating my membership with immediate effect.

If you instruct or allow Ashbourne Management Services to pursue for payments, I will hold you responsible for their actions and take action against you as necessary.

Yours faithfully,

[My full Name]

Does that look okay? And should I hand sign it like an official letter?

Hi Freizah,

The letter looks fine and you can "hand sign" it at the bottom.

Hi Freizah,

The letter looks fine and you can "hand sign" it at the bottom.

Thank you, I also have a friend who joined at the same time under the same situation. Is it fine to send two exact duplicates (excluding the name of course) or should it be changed somewhat? We're going to send them 1st Class recorded so we have proof.

Oh, and I assume I should include the Ashbourne DD reference as well? So he knows without a shadow of a doubt who to call about?

Edited by Freizah

Hi Freizah,

I would wait to see the reaction to YOUR cancellation first, if your friend is prepared to wait.

Otherwise, your friend could follow the same process but use a totally different letter. Otherwise, the situation will look contrived.

:wink:

Hi Freizah,

I would wait to see the reaction to YOUR cancellation first, if your friend is prepared to wait.

Otherwise, your friend could follow the same process but use a totally different letter. Otherwise, the situation will look contrived.

We both have a payment date coming up, so wanted to get the letters in before we get a call from Ashbourne saying we missed a payment. We both have the same reasons on why we wanted to cancel, as the pictures more than prove the conditions. But, when my friend came round, I wrote him the same letter, but restructured and reworded it, we'll be sending them at the same time.

Original

Dear Mr. [surname of Owner]

I have been a member of the club since July 2012 and, since joining, the facilities have deteriorated.

My complaints specifically include broken or damaged equipment, dirty or filthy conditions in terms of cleanliness and hygiene in the wet room and equipment, loose light fittings, poor uneven flooring, etc. No attempts to improve the situation appear to have been made since I joined.

Old and damaged equipment has not been repaired or replaced, despite suggestions that this would happen when I first joined. I was also told of new equipment being installed before 2013, which never happened.

I have photographic evidence displaying the said problems, from various dates, and if forced, will use them as evidence of why I have been forced to cancel my membership.

After seeking legal advice and for the reasons above, I am terminating my membership with immediate effect.

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

[Name]

[Ashbourne DD Reference Number]

His

Dear Mr. [surname of Owner]

I have been a member of the gym since August and, since joining, the facilities have deteriorated to such a standard, that I sought legal advice and, with alongside the issues below, I am terminating my membership with immediate effect .

My complaints specifically centre on:

• Very dirty and very rarely cleaned bathroom facilities. The showers were not usable and the toilet cubicles were the worst I've ever seen in my life.

• Broken/Damaged equipment. I joined the gym for its equipment and more than a few machines and free weights have been damaged or broken since I joined, and some have not seen sign of repair, just a paper sign saying, and I quote; “Out Off Order”.

• I have almost fallen over on numerous occasions in the gym and I have seen countless others do the same, because the floor is not in shape, health and safety would condemn it. It’s ripped, damaged, and has many uneven dips.

I have on my person a plethora of photographs which can prove my cancellation reasons to anyone needed, including in a court against you/Ashbourne if needed.

If you allow Ashbourne Management Services to pursue for payments, I will hold you responsible for their actions and take action against you immediately.

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

[Name]

[Ashbourne DD Reference Number]

You also notice were going to include our DD reference number that Ashbourne provided us with, we assume that to be a good idea? Thank you again :)

Also, the gym owner has also already contacted me through Facebook saying the following:

"Hey [Name] been seeing and hearing ya comments bout the gym, all you need to know is you signed an 11 month agreement regarding your DD. But am concerned you have been tampering with equipment and taking pictures which we have a sign up which clearly prohibits the use of cell phones in the gym. Disappointed with the way you have conducted yourself and the comments you have made on Facebook which is slander and i have kept.

All the best in your body building"

Now, he's obviously been watching my Facebook account for some strange reason and he probably saw a post I made saying:

"Looks like I'll be cancelling my membership and joining another gym, this one was cool but is falling apart. Might just join Virgin Active again, 2 gyms and all the facilities and luxuries are worth it."

And when a friend commented saying Virgin is expensive and not worth it, I replied:

"Haha, yeah, but there's no better ones around and it's only £45 a month, while I'm paying half that now at this shi**y place, well was, all been cancelled. At least I have a sauna/steam room/spa/jacuzzi/swimming pool if I need them lol "

I never once mentioned the gyms name, so I can already tell he's very scared that he's lost another member, and is probably unaware he's lost two. As you said before, I should not reply at all, and send the letters of course, and then tell you when I get a call from Ashbourne :)

Edited by Freizah

Hi Freizah.

Fine, send off the letters to avoid the next payments for you and YF, and it's good that you've made them different.

Ignore the stuff about Facebook - what you said would only be slanderous (or defamatory to use the correct term) if it was untrue. He's clearly upset that you took photos which show the gym to be dirty and the accusation that you tempered with equipment would be impossible to prove unless he has CCTV footage or witnesses who are prepared to lie for him.

Avoid further comment about the matter on Facebook and also remember that the forums here are open to everyone to read and use.

Let us know how the gym responds.

Hi Freizah.

Fine, send off the letters to avoid the next payments for you and YF, and it's good that you've made them different.

Ignore the stuff about Facebook - what you said would only be slanderous (or defamatory to use the correct term) if it was untrue. He's clearly upset that you took photos which show the gym to be dirty and the accusation that you tempered with equipment would be impossible to prove unless he has CCTV footage or witnesses who are prepared to lie for him.

Avoid further comment about the matter on Facebook and also remember that the forums here are open to everyone to read and use.

Let us know how the gym responds.

I'm aware the forums are public, and he doesn't have any CCTV because there's nothing of value in the place, Isn't having no CCTV in a gym illegal anyway? Anyway, I have ignored him on Facebook, not responding at all, and yes, he does seem upset so he was clearly trying to sound in a good position but he'll have a shock once he receives the letters. Like I said before, if I reported it to Health and Safety it wouldn't pass, but I don't want to do that to him, it's unfair but we included that in the second letter in case he tries to get nasty. We'll send the letters first thing Monday.

Also, even though we're sending recorded post, what if he just rips the letters up and throws them in the bin, and says he never received any letters to Ashbourne. Thanks :)

If the letters are sent to the gym by Rec'd Del'y, you should have proof of delivery and that's all you need.

• Confused 1

If the letters are sent to the gym by Rec'd Del'y, you should have proof of delivery and that's all you need.

Awesome, and thank you for all your help with this, we're truly grateful, we'll report back when either the gym or Ashbourne respond in any way :D

As long as the gym doesn't use a PO Box address, the Rec'd Del'y should work and the letter should be signed for by them.

An alternative is to take the letter by hand and ask the receptionist or other staff member to sign a receipt for it (which you'll have printed in advance).

You can use the email address for later correspondence but, initially, use written letters,

As long as the gym doesn't use a PO Box address, the Rec'd Del'y should work and the letter should be signed for by them.

An alternative is to take the letter by hand and ask the receptionist or other staff member to sign a receipt for it (which you'll have printed in advance).

You can use the email address for later correspondence but, initially, use written letters,

I sent the letter on Tuesday, my friend forgot his, so sending his tomorrow. Today, I've received 8 missed calls from a number the gym manager gave me a while back, don't think it was his directly, but I'm not sure. I have my phone set to divert any numbers of my choice and that is one, but I checked and they tried calling 8 times as of this message today, the number has not called before, so I assume it's them. Also, I just received another message from him saying:

"Can u enlighten me on those free index remarks ???? when u play games with people out of your league can be bad for ya health i imagine the address i hav for you is whr u reside tut tut!!!!!!"

Now, I had no idea what he was talking about, so I showed my friend, and he said he did give the place a review on a website, an honest one though. So obviously he thinks I wrote the review, which doesn't bother me, and I don't reside in the address he's got, so I don't mind, but he has got my friends real address which is worrying for him. But this is a bonus, because this is an obvious threat to either one of us, so that will surely help everything :)

I just sent this back:

"Free Index? And, No, I don't reside in the address I gave, haven't done in years. So I don't see why it's wise to send threats over Facebook, especially when I have left the gym with good will, another mate who left mentioned we could have reported the gym to health and safety, but I said no, it's not fair to [Name], he's a sound guy but the gym isn't to our standard.

Anyway, I have been told by my legal advice to not respond to you any more regarding the gym and my contract and you will be receiving a letter to tell Ashbourne about my cancellation and the reasons, which has been sent via recorded delivery.

Hope you fix the gym up and make it a good business :)"

Edit: I told the friend to remove his review anyway and he did in case he tries to claim slander.

Edited by Freizah

Hi Freizah,

There was really no need to remove the review if it was honest and fair - slander (or defamation) is not likely to apply for one moment. This manager looks like a bully who likes to get his own way.

Please let us know what gym this is so we can decide if his actions should be reported further.

"Can u enlighten me on those free index remarks ???? when u play games with people out of your league can be bad for ya health i imagine the address i hav for you is whr u reside tut tut!!!!!!"

This message is outrageously and shockingly threatening and is clearly meant to intimidate. If you haven't stored a copy of it, please do so in now. If it's on the web, take a screen shot of it in case you need to refer to it later.

I suggest you don't respond to, or communicate with, this bully at all.

Just wait for a proper response to your letter.

Edited by slick132

If AMSL call you, refuse to answer any security questions so they should be unable to discuss your case due to Data Protection issues.

If that doesn't put them off, tell they must put anything they have to say in writing, and end the call.

They'll soon get the message !

And remember, you have no need to talk to them and they have no right to insist you do.