IRCAS Refusing to accept appeal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a issue with IRCAS not accepting my appeal. I managed to forget my wallet and ticket (with was valid) one day.

When I got to Liverpool St I was duely issued with an unpaid penality fair and told to respond within 21 days. Which I did. I then dropped my orginal ticket in with the ticket office and got my refund. All was well - or so I thought.

A month later I get template letter from IRCAS re: I owed them £50 for not appealing. I wote to them and told them I had done so and presumably the letter had gone walkabout in the post (sh*t happens). If they were of mind they could check on a system called TIMS (That my local station told me about - and that they should have access to) that my ticket was refunded with in the time they required and should be able to deduce that I had appealed also.

They they replied saying they cannot change their process - etc etc and so I owe them £50. The letters back and fourth continue. I am now cosulting the passenger focus group for advice also. The way I see is that had a valid ticket; I've had it redunded; I've proven this to them - via a print out from their own TISM system that the local ticket office were able to given me.

They're now starting to threaten to increase the fine!

Anyone any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Martin

Hi all,

I have a issue with IRCAS not accepting my appeal. I managed to forget my wallet and ticket (with was valid) one day.

When I got to Liverpool St I was duely issued with an unpaid penality fair and told to respond within 21 days. Which I did. I then dropped my orginal ticket in with the ticket office and got my refund. All was well - or so I thought.

A month later I get template letter from IRCAS re: I owed them £50 for not appealing. I wote to them and told them I had done so and presumably the letter had gone walkabout in the post (sh*t happens). If they were of mind they could check on a system called TIMS (That my local station told me about - and that they should have access to) that my ticket was refunded with in the time they required and should be able to deduce that I had appealed also.

They they replied saying they cannot change their process - etc etc and so I owe them £50. The letters back and fourth continue. I am now cosulting the passenger focus group for advice also. The way I see is that had a valid ticket; I've had it redunded; I've proven this to them - via a print out from their own TISM system that the local ticket office were able to given me.

They're now starting to threaten to increase the fine!

Anyone any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Martin

Hello and welcome to CAG. I hope the forum experts will be along later.

Just to clarify please, what did you say when you sent the appeal letter? And I'm a bit confused about how cashing in your ticket shows that you appealed, sorry if I'm confused.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB,

In my orginal letter (with photocopy of my ticket) - which seems to have been lost en-route some place, was sent a few days after my being issued with a penality fare. This was the same day I took my orginal ticket to the ticket office; and that I have proof of being refunded from the local ticket office. True there isn't a direct appeal vs cashing in ticket connection but I have no other way of showing them that I had a valid ticket for the journey in question.

The 1st letter I got from IRCAS did say that had I already paid the fine then to ingore the letter. Which I did ignore as I faily assumed my orginal letter was in processing some place. Then the £50 demand turned up.

I fear that if I pay the £50 then I won't get that back as the case will be of little interest to them

As a point to claiify the ticket I had refunded was the single home that I had to buy that day. I was able to get it refunded as I was able to prove I had my monthly ticket to cover that time. I'm allowed two such events in one year.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by MarkusTandy123
clairifcation

So IRCAS confirmed that the penalty had been paid? Yet you appealed and didn't pay? Sorry, but I'm confused. I'm assuming you still have the letter in which they say the matter is closed? Did you have a copy of the letter you sent? Did you send it recorded delivery? To be honest, although not the point you wish to make, unless they have indeed closed the case, I doubt an appeal would succeed. Having said that, I'd be asking them to not increase it as a gesture of good will if they would be so kind, as your letter of appeal got lost in the post.

Sorry to cause confusion - event sequence is:

1) I forget ticket - my mistake I know - and am issued with a penaltiy fair on the way into work

2) I buy a ticket for the train home (which is later refunded). Also send a photocopy to IRCAS of monthly ticket and give orginals (monthly and single for eveing) to ticket office to they can refund me the costs

3) Same day appeal against penality fair - this seems to get lost in the post

4 ...10 ... letters back and fourth about proof of tickets from me and I can't do anything to appeal any more etc....

Sorry to cause confusion - event sequence is:

1) I forget ticket - my mistake I know - and am issued with a penaltiy fair on the way into work

2) I buy a ticket for the train home (which is later refunded). Also send a photocopy to IRCAS of monthly ticket and give orginals (monthly and single for eveing) to ticket office to they can refund me the costs

3) Same day appeal against penality fair - this seems to get lost in the post

4 ...10 ... letters back and fourth about proof of tickets from me and I can't do anything to appeal any more etc....

Sorry, so did you pay the PF?

I would say:

If you have proof (certificate) of postage, (which is free to obtain), then send them a copy with another cover letter detailing your appeal. That said, they still do not have to waive the charges, as you failed to comply with the appeal deadline, (although you did try to).

If no proof of postage, then unfortunately, I would recommend you pay the penalty requested.

It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure the appeal reaches them within the specified timescales. You can only blame either yourself for not using a traceable postage service like Special Delivery or Royal Mail for losing the item.

You could complain to Royal Mail, but if you have no proof of postage, how do they know you even sent the letter in the first place?