Can a CPA be reinstated by PDLS company once I've cancelled?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right guys, I am so appreciative of all your help on my many recent threads regarding my debt, especially the 2 PDLs we have, but I am still not CERTAIN whether a CPA can be reinstated by the PDL once I have got the STOP CPA letter into the bank signed and stamped. I am not whingeing about the advice I've been given but I'm still not certain as I have had a couple of different answers/advice on different threads.

I want to keep my current account with Natwest but have also set up a new account with them to get my income paid into.

If the CPA can be reinstated at a later date what the heck would be the point cancelling the CPA...?..

Can someone please please tell me if I am safe to keep my accounts once I've confirmed cancellation of all CPAs.

Thanks again guys.

Since there don;t seem to be so many about today, I'll advise you, from experience. My nephew recently had a lot of problems with RBS over just this issue, it is still unresolved, at the last stage with the Ombudsman. RBS and Natwest are in the same group so I'm assuming they have the same policy.

The law says they must stop an RPA if you request it. Some banks (RBS and I believe Natwest) refuse point blank to do it. It won't make any difference if you cancel the debit card you gave them initiially, the bank will allow another payment to be removed from a new card number. They will bamboozle you with hoohah about how its all your own fault because you borrowed the money therefore you must pay it back.

You have every right to take back control of your finances, but the bank will make it hard for you. Therefore you need to open another account now, with a different bank, and if you have time beforel you get the next financial refill, have it transferred to your new account.

We've been arguing the toss with them since March this year, nephew hasn't been able to use his bank account with confidence, because bank will still not admit wrong doing. All monies eventually refunded as GOGW, but for the wrong reason and that is now the argument with the Ombudsman.

Please open a new account now to avoid any upsets in the New year. Things may have changed since March, however, its best to be prepared. If you look me up on here, you;ll find my thread all about this.

• Haha 1

Thanks for that guys, Jackieandwayne I'm astounded that they are openly breaking the law! Applied for a current account with the cooperative bank but got declined so will apply for their cashminder instead maybe for a safety net. How will I ever know if the natwest account is safe though if I don't leave a little money in to test the water...really want to keep it open. I can get my money out and changed over no problem but it's when/whether I could return to my account that I want to be sure of....?..

My nephew hasn't closed his account either as he wants to keep it. Just for safety's sake and peace of mind, get your money out of there for now, and watch to see what happens. If you left say £30.00 or so in there, then you could keep checking to see if an attempt is being made to snatch it. If this should happen, given that you have instructed the bank not to allow these payments, then you have the basis to start a formal complaint with the bank. Yes, they do break the law! If they still won't admit this then get on to the Financial Ombudsman and see what happens there.

I hope the bank complies with your request, as I said, this happened to the nephew back in March - and it seems that some banks will stop the payments, and some won;t.

I suspect in our case its going to be a look at this BCOBS thing and about the bank treating customers fairly. I hope you get it sorted, but anyway, if you don't, then don't give in, keep on at them.

From a legal point of view no one can take a penny from your card / account unless you provide your consent to the specifics of the transaction, even if you already provided consent in the past you can withdraw it (thats what cancelling a cpa is).

So from a legal point of view you are covered, however are you willing to give the pdl the benefit of doubt and assume they follow the law even when its to their detriment? Sure you can get the money back in many cases if they help themself, but that can sometimes take a long time. Which is why many advice to close account and change bank, yes its very drastic and shouldn't be necessary, but its the only 100% safe way.

But its up to you if want to go through that hassle for that last bit of peace of mind, cause as I said, legally the pdl can't take a penny without your consent.