• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

IMPACT, Blair Oliver Scott, Cabot, Wescott, Very, MiB, Debts 30k+ HELP!

hazbo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll start from the beginning.

I am an engineer and made decent money when i was in the job i had from leaving school at 17, im now 33.

Back in 2006 i had debts close to 40k, which i was paying all ok, as listed below:

Barclays loan - 19k

Barclaycard - 8.5k

Halifax CC - 8k

MBNA CC - 8k

A sudden, unwanted change of job meant i couldnt afford the repayments on above debts.

I contacted all the above and after defaulting on payments (adding charges for late payment etc) etc and sending SoA's they all eventually agreed to freeze interest and enter repayment plans (Barclays were v.helpful with the loan and offered a Resolve loan for the 19k completely interest free over 10 years, so instead of paying £400 p/m the repayment was down to £170) the others were all £100 p/m each.

As of now the Barclays Resolve loan stands at £8k and all the CC's are down to around 4.5k each. So total was paid down to around 20k from original 40k

Around 6 months ago I received a demand for £18500 for an uninsured car accident from 2007 from Weightmans DCA Via MiB (Motorist Insurers Bureau) I hired a solicitor to deny any involvement in this accident and Weightmans have now dropped the claim and returned the file to MiB. However i have since read that MiB,s next step will be to take me to court where they *may* be able to prove my involvement and therefore my liability to pay the £18500

I now find myself working a 2.5 day week on minimum wage, earning £670 p/m.

I have Vanquis/IMPACT DCA chasng me for a further 2k CC debt and 1.4k owing to Very catalogue as well as the above debts.

I am sinking, really stuggling to pay the bills, let alone all the debt repayments.

I really think Bankruptcy is my best option, I have no assets and no savings.

I have some questions if anyone is kind enough to help:

1) My wife and her father own our home, I have never owned the house or even been on the mortgage, will bankruptcy have any affect on this?

2) My wife is currently on maternity leave, however she will be made redundant in March 2013 and get a payout of 17k, will bankruptcy have any claim on this money?

3) Our family car is registered on my name, however it is owned by my wifes father, he paid a £1500 deposit and financed £4.8k and we currently pay standing order to him of £140 p/m which covers the payments, The car is legally his and untouchable in Bankruptcy, right?

4) What should my first steps be regarding the CC debts as I have so-far ignored all calls, (Vanquis/IMPACT are making lots of noise about doorstep collection etc) should i offer a £1 payment or such in the meantime?

5) I also owe approx £1500 to HMRC which will be due on 31st Jan 2013 which i already know i wont be able to pay, how should i deal with this?

Any help on the above is much appreciated, Thanks in advance :)

Also forgot to add that the following lenders in 2008/2009 then passed my debts to:

Barclaycard - Cabot

Halifax CC - Blair, Oliver and Scott

MBNA CC - Wescot

(All the above I have been paying up until Oct 2012)

And more recently:

Vanquis - Impact DCA

I

1) My wife and her father own our home, I have never owned the house or even been on the mortgage, will bankruptcy have any affect on this? I believe that creditors can only go after assets in joint names.

2) My wife is currently on maternity leave, however she will be made redundant in March 2013 and get a payout of 17k, will bankruptcy have any claim on this money? Again this is your wife money and I don't believe they can legally touch this.

3) Our family car is registered on my name, however it is owned by my wifes father, he paid a £1500 deposit and financed £4.8k and we currently pay standing order to him of £140 p/m which covers the payments, The car is legally his and untouchable in Bankruptcy, right? Make sure the car is clearly shown as being the father in laws. If the car is his, if the Insurance is currently in your name, make sure they are aware of the exact ownership. They may say that the Insurance should be in his name, with you as the main driver. If you have the DVLA reg doc in your name, in the event of court and then bailiff action, they might think it is yours. Then you have the hassle of proving it is your FIL's.

4) What should my first steps be regarding the CC debts as I have so-far ignored all calls, (Vanquis/IMPACT are making lots of noise about doorstep collection etc) should i offer a £1 payment or such in the meantime? Send them CCA requests as these are not priority debts. The tax debt is the biggie. You really should speak to Citizens Advice, National Debtline or CCCS as a matter of urgency.

5) I also owe approx £1500 to HMRC which will be due on 31st Jan 2013 which i already know i wont be able to pay, how should i deal with this? This is where Citizens Advice are worth their weight in gold. They might be able to help you understand your exact liability situation and help you negotiate with HMRC. If HMRC know of your position, they should be able to help you, perhaps with a repayment arrangement over a period.

Any help on the above is much appreciated, Thanks in advance :)

See above. Really think you need to see Citizens Advice to run through all of this, as they may be able to guide you about the path you should take. When you wife gets her redundancy in March, any tax credits/benefits either of you receive will be affected. I am also thinking that MIB claims should be taken into account in any bankruptcy, if you had this accident and could be held liable at a later date.

Do you know when you last made any payments towarfs some of these debts? If you have not made any payments for 6 years or admitted to owing them in writing, there are no CCJ's., then the debts will be statute barred so could not be enforced. It is worth sending CCA requests for the credit card and catalogue debts, to see what they come up with. If they can't supply the CCA, then the account are in dispute until they have supplied the CCA or a copy of what you would have signed.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?414-CCA-request-letter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You name 3 DCAs in your post title but not thereafter. BOS are Halifax internal DCA but Cabot usually appear on these forums as debt purchasers: was your MBNA account assigned (ie sold) to them? And where do Wescot fit into the picture?

A short history of each debt would be helpful.

Yes, you can and should CCA for each debt. Send to whoever currently managing it.

I would cease to pay if they don.t deliver within the statutory 12+2 days and send them an account in dispute letter.

If they do deliver, get it checked out here for enforceability. If enforceable, write to say that you are on a very low income and will, until such time as your situation picks up, be paying £1. They will create a stink but know they cannot get more out of you as you have no assets.

The unenforceable ones, tell them go whistle in the wind. You'll get stink from these too, but if you read other threads here, you'll find plenty to inspire you for the fight.

Court claim for the accident would become statute barred if not initiated within 6years (Scotland 5) of the event, so long as you don.t acknowledge involvement.

If before statute bar and taken to court, the judgment obtained would constitute a new debt.

But what do you mean, you've "read" that they'll take action???

Bankruptcy is messy, best avoided and I honestly think you don.t need consider that route. In any case, don.t fret over your wife's assets or those of her father. They are untouchable.

Others may have different views, but these are what I would do myself.

Good luck.

Olég

Hi Unclebulgaria and thanks for your reply.

Its good to know that my wifes property/money will be ok if i do go down the bankruptcy route. I have already had my maximum (2) amount of "time to pay" arrangements with HMRC so will contact CAB/National Debtline to see where i stand now.

Hi Oleg and thanks for your reply also.

But what do you mean, you've "read" that they'll take action???

I have read on other forums that after MiB have had a DCA chase you for money with no joy, their next step is to take you to court and prove that you owned such vehicle by producing signed copy of vehicle log book with your signature. Still not sure how they can prove it was me driving though.

Do you really think that with possible £38k debt and making £670 p/m before deductions i should not go for bankruptcy?

surely a fresh start would be better than this noose around my neck?

Thanks again.

MIB will only enforce if they have sufficient proof. This could be independent witness testimonies and does not need to be traffic cameras etc. The problem is getting hold of such testimonies years after the event and then the accuracy of these can be disputed. If you continue to dispute, then I can't see it going any further.

As for bankruptcy, this is not something that you should consider until you have sat down with someone qualified and looked at all options. It can affect certain types of employment if it involves handling money/financial transactions and for things such as Insurance can be something you need to disclose.

I have since read that you cannot include any MIB claim under any bankuptcy, if this was considered. This is due to the following clause under the insolvency act.

281(5) Insolvency Act 1986, which reads as follows:

(5) Discharge does not, except to such extent and on such conditions as the court may direct, release the bankrupt from any bankruptcy debt which—.

(a) consists in a liability to pay damages for negligence, nuisance or breach of a statutory, contractual or other duty, ... being ... damages in respect of personal injuries to any person

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I am suggesting that you only need pay £1/month on each non-priority debt. The HMRC one however is inescapable. It needs to be negotiated, either directly or through CAB or other non fee charging agency.

If you feel you want to go bankrupt and can raise the petition fee, you can do. Each to his own. All I can say is that I, with debts far higher than yours, chose the unenforceability route and feel more comfortable that way.

Given your financial status and the dubious evidence, I would share your suspicion that MiB would try it on.

I am suggesting that you only need pay £1/month on each non-priority debt. The HMRC one however is inescapable. It needs to be negotiated, either directly or through CAB or other non fee charging agency.

If you feel you want to go bankrupt and can raise the petition fee, you can do. Each to his own. All I can say is that I, with debts far higher than yours, chose the unenforceability route and feel more comfortable that way.

Given your financial status and the dubious evidence, I would share your suspicion that MiB would try it on.

As Oleg is suggesting. Don't go down the bankruptcy route in a rush. With debts that you have not paid for a while. e.g. credit card and catalogue debts, send them CCA requests and see what comes back. If they can't send the CCA, then you can send a follow up letter that the account is in dispute and therefore have a legal reason not to make repayments. If no payments or acknowledgement or CCJ's within 6 years, then they could be statute barred. You need to know when the last payment dates were or whether CCJ's have been obtained.

So don't enter into repayments with the credit cards and catalogue debts you are not repaying. Just send the CCA requests. These are not priorities. The Tax Man is your No.1 priority and you will need to sit down with CAB to see what you can do. Do this urgently.

As for MIB, see what they do, if anything. If by any chance they have proof and take you to court, all you would have to do is gain agreement via the court to make affordable repayments. You would of course defend and therefore hopefully avoid this in the first place.

Minus the HMRC liability and MIB claim against you.. what is your current debt status ?

Vanquis do make a lot of noise.... they are a Pay Day Loan company in disguise.. and work on the premise that he who bullies the hardest .. gets the larger chunk !!

Do you have ..

Any default / penalty charges on any of these debts ? - You can reclaim these

Do you have, any Payment Protection Insurance on any of these accounts ? - if there is any chance this could have been mis sold - you can reclaim this.

If your debts amount to under £15,000 you could consider a Debt Relief Order - to go this route, your debts would need to be under £15,000 and you cant have any assets.

Do speak to National Debtline, they will be able to go through all your options.

Did you cease payments on all these debts in October ?

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi all,

Apologies I should have been more clear in my original post, here is where these debts are at now:

Wescot (MBNA CC) £4000 - stopped paying Oct 2012, they don't seem to care... Haven't even sent me a notice that iv missed payments!

Cabot (Barclaycard CC) £4500 - stopped paying Oct 2012, threatening further action.

Blair, Oliver & Scott (Halifax CC) £4500, stopped paying Oct 2012, threatening further action.

Barclays Resolve loan £8600 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Impact (Vanquis CC) £2700 - threatening to visit my house, doorstep collection,beat my granny up etc (joking)

Capital One CC £800 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Capital One CC £300 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Very Catalogue £1400 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

So, should I cca all of the above and then offer minimum payment? Or some other course of action?

Unclebulgaria, the bit about MiB, does that mean the part of the £18500 that relates to injury would still have to be paid, or would the full amount still stand through bankruptcy?

Thanks again guys.

Also forgot to add:

Local solicitor £720 - fees for fighting MiB/Weightmans so-far.

And yes all the CC's had late payment fees etc Anne's when they were with the original Creditors £100's if not £1000's was added infact.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Apologies I should have been more clear in my original post, here is where these debts are at now:

Wescot (MBNA CC) £4000 - stopped paying Oct 2012, they don't seem to care... Haven't even sent me a notice that iv missed payments!

Oh they will.. :lol: Give it a few more weeks and Wescott will be rattling their cage - Do you know if this has been sold/assigned to Wescott or are they merely collecting on behalf of MBNA ?

Cabot (Barclaycard CC) £4500 - stopped paying Oct 2012, threatening further action.

Depending on when you entered into the agreement, this could be worth sending a CCA request for - B/Shark were particularly poor at issuing Default Notices. I imagine this has indeed been sold to Cabot - who can get pretty nasty.

Blair, Oliver & Scott (Halifax CC) £4500, stopped paying Oct 2012, threatening further action.

Similar to previous comments.. althouhg Blair Oliver Scott are in house collectors/litigation team for HBoS. Send CCA request to HBoS , check for PPI and charges

Barclays Resolve loan £8600 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Impact (Vanquis CC) £2700 - threatening to visit my house, doorstep collection,beat my granny up etc (joking)

Surprised they havent suggested they can sell your first born !!.. not joking !! Send these the "DO NOT VISIT ME" letter from the CAG library. If anyone does have the stupidity to simply turn up on your doorstep, you can ask them to leave, they have no authority and it is against OFT guidelines, anyway, to turn up without an appointment. If they decide to make contact by phone, then it is your absolute legal right to communicate in writing only and in your best interests to do so. They will make all manner of threat and fibs on the phone - but frequently tie themselves in knots when forced to communicate on paper.

Capital One CC £800 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

These will almost certainly offload the account at the first opportunity. Send CCA request to them and check for penalty / default charges

Capital One CC £300 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Very Catalogue £1400 - up-to date so far, first missed payment will be 4 Jan 2013.

Again, small debt - almost certainly no signed agreement - will make all manner of threats about what they can do to your life and very existence. CCA them, insist on communication on paper. Check for charges and also any kind of insurance.. some catalogues have a nasty habit of adding product protection insurance !!

So, should I cca all of the above and then offer minimum payment? Or some other course of action?

Unclebulgaria, the bit about MiB, does that mean the part of the £18500 that relates to injury would still have to be paid, or would the full amount still stand through bankruptcy?

Thanks again guys.

Yes, I think I would almost certainly send CCA requests to all of them..

It is up to you whether you offer a token payment - it does at the very least show that you are not attempting to avoid any liability. Until you have all the paperwork, it is probably a good idea to stay on the right side of things.

:)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes you could not include anything to do with personal injury in any bankruptcy. So you would have a debt of whatever amount for the 3rd party injury claim remaining.

Just to update this:

I have sent offers of £1 p/m to Cabot, Blair Oliver &Scott, Wescot and Vanquis/Impact. Also sent Impact the "do not contact me by telephone" and the "do not visit me" letters.

As regards the MiB situation I sent a letter asking for disclosure of any information they have on me, just to see how the land-lies.

Would like to say that the templates on this site are extremely useful, as is the amount of information available here. I am now getting used to the fact that I will have to deal with this debt problem and not bury my head, thanks to this site.

I will keep this updated with progress, and the replies I get from all of the above.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you are well on top of things now :) Well done.

BCOBS