style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I had a loyalty rate on my Barclaycard of 11.9% for the life of my Barclaycard since 2004.

Last August, the day after my 60th birthday, they sent me a letter sayiing that the interest was going up to 16.9%

I tried to argue the point but they would not listen.

They have just sent me another letter saying it is going up to 18.9%.

It has now got to the point with the loaded interest that I can no longer pay them.

I have written an ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE letter (not sent yet) complaining about this ageist treatment)

My question would be - should I ask them to send a copy of my credit agreement (which I doubt they have as I have had a Barclaycard for nearly thirty years)

what act should I use for the info - Data protection, Freedom of Info, Consumer Credit Act 1974?? Anyone got any suggestions.

Also my Egg Loan CCJ - Dirty Drydens keep asking for updates on my financial situation despite the ccj (which I have been told they should not have got as there was never an Default Notice so they did not have the correct paperwork for any ccj to be issued - but thats another battle down the road a bit!!!:noidea:

pc

Hi Plucked Chick,

I'll address just the BC a/c here. If you want to discuss the Egg case, do so on that thread or start one if necessary in the appropriate forum. :-)

Do you have any of the old paperwork confirming that the rate of 11.9% applied for the life of the card. This point would be better dealt with in writing to BC and not phone calls.

Was your a/c kept within agreed limits up to your 60th B/day. If it was not, this may be the reason the rate's been increased.

If you are struggling, you may find useful letters here, although BC are notorious for refusing to help when customers fall on hard times - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?609-Can-t-find-the-letter-you-want-Look-here

Don't send the a/c in dispute letter yet, until you are certain what the dispute is about.

I would send a CCA request in any event as this may at least buy you a little time. However, it is unlikely that it will help you set the a/c in dispute nowadays.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick132,

Many many thanks for the swift reply - much appreciated.

Yes I have always been within the agreed limit. I still have the letter dated August 2004 when they upgraded me to a gold card with the loyalty rate. Do I have to send any fee for a CCA request? I know that Barclaycard are not at all helpful when people are in trouble and demand that you pay a percentage of the outstanding debt. They very helpfully suggested that I might like to cut up the card and pay at the current rate of 16.9% if I didnt agree with their 18.9%. I just have a feeling that this will carry on increasing until I give the card up as I am now not of working age.

kind regards,

pc:roll:

Hi PC,

Have you been through the T&C's of the Loyalty Rate letter to see if there was any time limit or other terms which may explain the change of rate. If there is nothing you can find to explain why the rate has increased, take this up with BC in writing. Don't call them about this as you'll get nowhere.

If you want to send a CCA request, the cost is £1 payable to Barclays Bank plc.

If you can't afford the full monthly repayments, send them whatever you can reasonably afford with a letter explaining why you are doing this, from the Templates linked above.

I also think you should certainly not use, or destroy, the card and work on paying the balance off asap.

I'll ask BC's Rep to look in here and perhaps offer some assistance.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)