HarrietH

Help and advice re Guarantor please

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2479 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all

I've been worried sick and searching the internet for some advice. My son rented a room in a house through an estate agent for a year. I acted as guarantor. He signed another lease the following year. The estate agent sent me a new contract to sign as his guarantor, but I declined to be his guarantor the second year. Now 8 months later they say my son is in arrears and I am obliged to pay his debt as guarantor. I was of the understanding that I was no longer his guarantor. I've checked my copy of the contract I signed and it was for a 10 month lease agreement. They have now threatened court action if I don't pay by the end of today.

I'm hugely disappointed in my son and am annoyed at the language the estate agent has used toward me to scare me. I understand that they want the money that is rightfully theirs, but feel that they are going the wrong way about it scaring me out of my wits. Can anyone please advise.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

You have 2 points to attack the Estate agent with.

As you have already pointed out, you only signed the original for 10 months. You should write (stay off he phone) and ask where in the original it says your guarantor would be carried over.

Also, when you signed the paperwork, was it witnessed? If not, it's not under seal, so it's a worthless signature.

Hi thank you, this is a very informative site.

Thank you for your advice. I have written a polite letter which I plan to post this week. When I signed the contract, my signature did not require a witness. I'll wait and see what happens next. It is a worrying situation that can hopefully be resolved. thanks again.