BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1777 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Thanks for this. It's a little clearer but not much.

It would help if you could just give a factual chronology.

What does

2008 with British Gas for Electric N Power took us over ....
mean?

Were British Gas acting on behalf of Npower? I don't understand.

What records have you kept? I suppose that you don't record your calls? Have you got a copy of the twitter comment?

Please could you start posting documents so that we can read them. After you post a document, please check it yourself. If you can't read it - then we can't either.

What is the story about the Sheffield property? Is it relevant to this problem or is it a separate problem?

There is a good chance that we can help you but you need to have a better account of what has happened.

What are all of these other errors which you are referring to?

Also - out of curiosity - who is the "barrister" who charged you £100 for the document whcih you filed with the court in your attempt to sue Npower? How did you find him/her?

What stage are you at, at the moment. They have issued a claim against you - you have submitted a defence, yes ?

The following question is for others as I am not sure you would know..

Are they permitted to pursue a warrant of entry whilst there is an active court case?

Also could you respond to CitizenB's question. Thanks

Hi, Bank Fodder,

1. 2007 - British Gas supplied electricity.
  2. 2008 - Next door (left of me) applied to N Power for electricity but N Power took over my electricity by mistake. I did not know this until my prepayment meter went wrong and I phoned British Gas they said they did not supply my electricity N Power did!! Sorted this out eventually with N Power.
  3. 2008 - N Power fitted new credit meter.
  4. 2009 - Bills all ok in line with what had been spent previously - bit better as on a Spreading Warmth Tariff.
  5. July, 2011 - Received letter saying "sorry you're leaving us" - rang N Power they said they would put a stop on it. Next door (to the right of me) had applied to Scottish Power.
  6. August 2011 - Rang N Power and I was informed that the account had been closed and they were going to give me a new account number.
  7. September 2011 - Received a letter from N Power saying they were having trouble closing my account
  8. September 2011 - Received letter regarding Scottish Power and an address in Sheffield. Rang N Power tried to give my account number.
  9. December 2011 - Rang N Power tried to give my new account number but I was told that my old account number was still live and to use that one.
  10. January 2012 - Received a "closing bill"? rang N Power said, again, they were having difficulty in opening/closing my account? Gave me a new account number. Paid Bill
  11. April 2012 - Received bills for £1,303, £1,825 and a projected amount of electricity of over 233,000 kWh for the 12 months.
  12. May 2012 - Made a formal complaint to N Power. Many telephone calls/letters nothing resolved.
  13. August 2012 - Check meter put in even though the meter is not faulty.
  14. August 2012 - Rang customer services representative who said we should do a kettle test whilst I was on the phone. Turned off absolutely everything else (except kettle)in the house, as requested, and boiled the kettle whilst on the phone. The kettle/load test used 0.2 kWh which is average it takes. He confirmed that the meter read from the 27th April 2012 of 52489 was incorrect and should have read 05248. He altered all the reads (SAR) but a few days later it was changed back by the High Usage team?
  15. August 2012 - received various letters saying they were having difficulty in billing people but to be patient.
  16. October 2012 - Complaint to Ombudsman.
  17. June 2013 - Ombudsman (SAR) friends of most of the people in NPower - upheld N Powers argument that the read of 39431 was correct.
  18. August 2013 - Went to Citizens Advice Bureau who advised the only course left to me was to take N Power to Small Claims Court.
  19. August 2013 - Letters from N Power saying that nobody was getting their bills but please be patient.
  20. July 2014 - Court Hearing - dismissed
  21. July 2014 - Court proceedings issued against me.
  22. August 2014 - Debt collection letters (3)
  23. September 2014 - Debt collection letters (Richburns)
  24. October 2014 - Richburns - Warrant of entry into your home - if I did not pay £5,800 plus their costs.

Each time they send these letters N Power add £34 to my bill.

I quite understand why you find this confusing. British Gas were our suppliers until N Power took us over - I didn't know as you will see above. Records obtained under SAR contained all the phone calls - I have four files of them. I have been recording them over the last month. PC

Edited by citizenB

Hi Citizen B,

Apologies for not replying sooner, many thanks for your input.

Yes I sent in my defence. Couldn't believe how nasty the legal dept (one man) is at N Power. He said that there was no negotiation on how much I should pay each month it was £360 a month or Court Proceedings. They tried to block my payments online as I have been paying for the electricity based on my pre-august 2011 usage plus my £140 per year from the government. Each time I try and pay an N Power page comes up saying "There is a problem with your payment" luckily the NexBanks system accepted my payments despite this??

PC

Thank you.

Do you have evidence of step 14 - August 2012?

You haven't fully answered CB's question as to the state of play now. What has happened to these proceedings?

How many letters at £34 please? These are unlawful.

It looks to me as though, despite you personally never having requested a switched provider, Npower and later Scottish Power have taken over/attempted to take over your supply when a neighbour has switched theirs ?

This tends to happen where there is a block Post code (several properties sharing the same postcode in one area). For example, I live in a small village and using the postcode/address checker on Royal Mail - there are 22 addresses with my post code.

http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

So it looks to me that when a neighbour, presumably with the same post code, (different flat number/house name) has requested a supplier change, then the provider has probably attempted to change ALL addresses with that post code !

Is it at all likely that Npower have got their meters muddled up ? Or perhaps even charging you for more than one supply ?

I have highlighted several points in your chronological post that seem to be quite worrying. Point 14 especially is a worry in that a specific test was done, and on the basis of that your usage was adjusted accordingly - yet without further notice it was readjusted ?

Having sent in your defence, have you been provided with any further instructions from the court - date of hearing, Allocation Questionnaire ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

you'll ideally have to convert your uploads to PDF for us to see them propery

dx

Hi Citizen B,

Have filled in and sent off the Directions Questionnaire (N181) and put in my Defence 9/10/14. Haven't heard anything else as yet.

PC

Righto, so this is moving forward by the looks of things.

You should be given the opportunity to provide a witness statement prior to any court hearing. You will be asked to exchange documents you will be relying on as well.

I am sure BF and others will be able to help you prepare something a little tighter .. please keep us informed of any communication/instructions from court and claimant.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Bank Fodder,

Many thanks for your reply.

Have attached kettle/load test and other telephone conversations with NPower customer services. (SAR) I will go through them again to see what else there is?

Also, the £34 charges which will be at least four more now and will show on the next statement. Everytime I have received a debt collection letter it generates these two charges adding up to the £34.

PC

Edited by plucked chick
typo

I think that we need to re-draft your defence. This means that you will need to apply to file an amended defence.

I think that you need to counterclaim on their negligent handling of your account and also the excessive charges.

You haven't answered the question as to how many charges there have been. Please would you try to answer questions because it gets very difficult chasing you for info at arms length through a forum.

You still didn't tell us who charged you £100 for your first POC?

Hi rebel11,

How do I get to admin e mail - tried the link? Has it come through??

PC

Your email was received by bankfodder and he has responded, I have just sent you a private message on his behalf as well :)

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Received your message thanks but no contact d etails.

We can probably help you but very difficult to progress if you don't communicate.

Hi,

Does anyone have any information as to whether the use of two different debt collection agencies to start warrant action WARRANT FOR ENTRY TO YOUR HOME when this is already going to court. Can they do this? Anyone know? They have charged this to my electricity account once already (£34 £10.50 for phoning the dc and £23.50 for writing a letter!) and I am trying to find out if they have added any more to my latest bill although the website said it is not due until 21st November.

PC

It is my understanding that they are not permitted to use more than one DCA at a time.

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

The following was from the OFT guidance on Debt Collection.. I imagine that there is something similar within the FCA rules.

Unfair Debt Collection Practices

The OFT Code of Practice is that the creditor must not use two different DCAs at the same time:

s2.6.c -"using more than one debt collection business at the same time resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties"

s2.6.e - "not informing the debtor when their case has been passed on to a different debt collector"

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Thank you CB. Are they allowed to charge this sort of money when they are taking someone to court already? It seems a bit of a double whammy. What worries me is that they have sent two letters one to The Occupier and one to me (One and the same) I have yet to find out if they have charged any more.

PC

The following was from the OFT guidance on Debt Collection.. I imagine that there is something similar within the FCA rules.

Unfair Debt Collection Practices

Re: OFT Debt Collection Practices:

1) The OFT has closed down - does their guidance still have legal basis?

2) Paragraph 1.7, which describes who this guidance is applicable to states:

1.7 This guidance applies to all consumer credit licence holders and applicants.

Are nPower (and similar energy companies) consumer credit licence holders?

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/FCA/CONC/7/13

Here you go.. it is under "Outsourcing"

CONC 7.13.10

01/04/2014

FCA

A firm should take reasonable steps to seek to ensure that, where it has engaged a third party to recover debts on its behalf, the customer is not subject to multiple approaches by different persons, resulting in repetitive or frequent contact with the customer by different parties.

[Note: paragraph 3.7c of DCG]

Physical/psychological harassment

Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.

Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

•Contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervals

•Pressurising debtors to sell property, to raise funds by further borrowing or to extend their borrowing

•Using more than one debt collection business at the same time resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties

•Not ensuring that an adequate history of the debt is passed on as appropriate, resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties

•Not informing the debtor when their case has been passed on to a different debt collector

•Pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments, or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

•Making threatening statements or gestures, or taking actions which suggest harm to debtors

•Ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed, and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

•Disclosing or threatening to disclose debt details to third parties unless legally entitled to do so

•Acting in a way likely to be publicly embarrassing to the debtor, either deliberately or through lack of care, e.g. by not putting correspondence in a sealed envelope and putting it through a letterbox, thereby running the risk that it could be read by third parties.

Edited by citizenB

HERE

Debt Diaries

Read Here

Read Here

Please Read

BCOBS

Hi Everyone,

Thought I’d update on situation with my obviously obscure meter. I have trawled the internet looking for a six digit 5235a Ampy Landis & Gyr meter that you read the last five digits. According to N Powers instructions on their video “How to read your meter” “George” categorically states you read the first five including any zeros. N Power have never answered my questions as to:-

(a) This was a new Meter in December 08 with the first Estimated Read in March 09 of 01229.0 (this estimated figure was based on my old prepayment meter usage) – and Actual Read was taken in June 09 of 01280.0. This reading is obviously correct. So why do they now say “Oh no, you have to read the last five”. This would have made the first bill over twelve thousand units in just three months??

(b) I have also asked N Power why when an erroneous read was given to them by Scottish Power of 39431 in August 2011 instead of looking back at our previous usage and meter readings (Actual reading of August 2011 taken by Data Collection Person of 03759) they changed all the previous reads adding an extra digit? Without consulting me regarding usage. I just received a bill in April 2012 for £2,800.

© Why do they keep sending letters addressed to me but with next doors number as electricity supplied at…..(next doors address)

(d) Also, if they really think I used 12 thousand units in one quarter wouldn’t you think that a bit strange for any domestic customer.

Anyone know whether this new government initiative or offgem initiative to help domestic customers if their usage is high?

Going by N Powers bills I think I should be at the top of their list!

Have requested N Power’s paralegal to have the meter checked under Schedule 7 of Electricity Act 1989 through the National Measurement Office– he is not best pleased! He should have given me the opportunity earlier.

Also getting an independent electrician to do a report on usage etc.

Off to Magistrates Court in the morning to put a stop on WARRANT FOR ENTRY INTO YOUR HOME x 2 one for me and one for “the Occupier”.??!! Feel really physically sick at the prospect but I have to go as although N Power have sent letters to say it was a mistake I do not trust them an inch.

I have been unwell all weekend worrying over this. Keep thinking OMG are they right and I have used nearly Ninety-One thousand Units in 6 years? Also what happens to the fact that 09088.3 when it becomes 100883 (N Powers figure?) which five will they take – the last five would be okay, lol. As it would be 00883. Maybe I am being a bit too facetious and light headed after being ill and got all this wrong.:|

Thank you CB have added this info to my file, I really do appreciate the time you guys put into this. Its a great site and a great comfort, thank you xx

aFAIK power companies never set them to show the decimal places,

this is only done by external people setting the meter up.

mostly private housing people that get them installed and not by the major 6

i've got to admit, every meter we every had donated in boxes from the power companies

never were set to show decimal places,

so, npower would ofcourse not be aware it was progged by a private installer.

lower beck services i'd guess

Hi dx

Thanks for the reply and the info. You are right about lowry beck services.

Will log on tomorrow to let everyone know how I get on at Magistrates Court.

PC

yes I saw the photo from you

good luck

use that photo!!

stuff if under the judges nose and say now do you believe me.