Benefits changes from 2013

Gay_guy1986
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

Right first of all I am sorry if this is not in the right forum :-)

We all know that from next year they will be some huge changes from 2013 to benefits and here are a few things that will change:

1) Council Tax - It's been reported that people who are on JSA Will need to pay they tax out of they JSA, How on earth people going to survive regarding this? it's really stupid and I doubt any people will be able to afford food after they paid all the outgoings :-x

2) Housing Benefit - I read somewhere that people under 25 will get they housing benefit cut, is this true? and also they will need to pay part rent if they got a spare bedroom that they don't use (This doesn't apply to me as I am 26 and I only live in a 1 bedroom flat)

3) Universal Credit - It's going to replace some benefits like: Jobseekers, Income Employment and Support Allowance, Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.

4) Jobseekers - People who don't follow the JCP advicer and don't apply for all the Jobs they givin they could be tougher sanctions even up to 3 years! :shock:

I think that is it or have I missed anything?

To be honest I am dredding going into the new year, I can tell you now 2013 Is going to be a bleak and horrible year :-x:-(

2) Housing Benefit - I read somewhere that people under 25 will get they housing benefit cut, is this true? and also they will need to pay part rent if they got a spare bedroom that they don't use (This doesn't apply to me as I am 26 and I only live in a 1 bedroom flat)

There hasn't been anything that I know of which said housing benefit will be cut / abolished for under 25s. The rule regarding spare bedrooms - if you have a spare bedroom, some of your housing benefit will be cut.

Going back to the council tax thing - it'll vary by area. Some (such as mine) are paying full council tax for those with savings under £6k, or £16k if you're in the forces (or were, maybe) or a war widow.

Evening all,

Right first of all I am sorry if this is not in the right forum :-)

We all know that from next year they will be some huge changes from 2013 to benefits and here are a few things that will change:

1) Council Tax - It's been reported that people who are on JSA Will need to pay they tax out of they JSA, How on earth people going to survive regarding this? it's really stupid and I doubt any people will be able to afford food after they paid all the outgoings :-x

3) Universal Credit - It's going to replace some benefits like: Jobseekers, Income Employment and Support Allowance, Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.

4) Jobseekers - People who don't follow the JCP advicer and don't apply for all the Jobs they givin they could be tougher sanctions even up to 3 years! :shock:

I think that is it or have I missed anything?

To be honest I am dredding going into the new year, I can tell you now 2013 Is going to be a bleak and horrible year :-x:-(

No idea what is happening here with council tax, although apparently they aren't raising it again for everyone. But why wouldn't someone want to apply for all the jobs the JC give them to apply for?

I wish they would give me jobs to apply for, they didn't help at all when I wanted to come off IS. I'm getting fed up with being self employed but jobs are like gold dust round here.

Although I do remember some mention about housing benefit being cut for people under a certain age that were renting anything more than a room?

Get a job then

Gosh. It must've taken a lot of brain power to come up with that sterling piece of advice. So much, in fact, that there was none left to make it into a proper sentence. :bored:

Gosh. It must've taken a lot of brain power to come up with that sterling piece of advice. So much, in fact, that there was none left to make it into a proper sentence. :bored:

His post history tells me he's not an entirely serious contributor.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Get a job then

Excuse me, what makes you think I don't apply for Jobs? I always apply for jobs 5 -6 jobs a day and also like to point out that I never hear anything back from employers but I still apply for Jobs, I am not a dole scrounger!! I hope I get a Job very soon also just to point out, where are the jobs? you do know we are in a recession. To be honest I would love you to go on JSA (if you not already on it) and see how people on JSA like me suffer hardship. JSA Is not a lifestyle choice you know, its to help you until you find work and to help with all the bills likes electric, water, food, gas ete. and most of the time I am unable to get a top up as I can't afford it, I have not even got aerial in my flat at the moment as they was not one in when I moved in January so i have to watch soaps on the internet!

So most of us not living the life of luxary you know, most of us haven't got sky and I don't sit in front of the tv you know all day, I don't drink and don't smoke!

But one thing I have is bt internet/phone as I need internet to apply for jobs so don't have a go at honest people like me!!!:mad2:

Edited by Gay_guy1986
add more information

Hi guys

We have been altered to the above said post :-)

As the responses have been more than adequate and courteous in response, i would like to leave it as is incase any other 'people' of the same mind may appear :-)

Ida x

:focus:

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Local authorities will have a budget around 10% reduction from the ones they have now, from which they will have to administer the local claims for council tax benefit. It is highly unlikely that those who are unemployed will have all their CTB removed. Your local authority should have been in touch with you about this by now - if not, contact them and ask what their future proposals are for people in your circumstances.

It's actually Local Housing Allowance that has a cap placed on it (alongside the caps for all those claiming local housing allowance). LHA is payable to those who need assistance with their rentals in the private sector. There is a similar cap being brought in for those on housing benefit and in social housing - e.g. if someone has a two bedroom property, but only needs one, their HB will be capped and they will need to find the percentage difference for the additional spare room (14%) out of their benefits or ask to be moved to smaller accommodation.

In relation to the cap on LHA for those under 25, it's actually been raised to those under 35. There was a period of protection given to those already living in larger accommodation (to allow them time to find somewhere else to live), however the changes will kick in for all from 1st January 2013, if I recall correctly. This means that anyone in private accommodation, claiming LHA, will have their allowance capped at the single person under 35 rate (effectively a room rate, rather than an entire flat). So, for example, someone living in a one bedroom flat, will no longer be entitled to the full LHA for a one bed in their area, instead it will be capped to a one room/shared flat rate (about 88 pounds in London).

This has been delayed for a period of six months to September 2013. However four London boroughs are trialling it - Croydon, Haringey and Enfield are three - the fourth escapes me right now.

I don't think anyone can realistically have any objections to this - so long as the advisers are providing information for jobs that are suitable to the actual applicant and not expecting them to apply for jobs that won't even consider them, let alone employ them.

• Haha 1

The three year sanctions are for jobseekers who escalate by doing one or more of the following at least 3 times in a 12 month period.

leaving a job voluntarily without good reason

• losing a job through misconduct

• refusal/failure to apply for, or accept if offered a suitable job without good reason

• refusal/failure to participate in mandatory work activity without good reason

the LA here are removing full council tax for everyone except for the poorer pensioners and those in receipt of higher rate DLA I believe, but as already posted each LA will look at things differently.

I don't know as I don't deal with HB or CtB I only know about the cut for CtB where I live as I received a nice glossy pamphlet detaling the propsed changes.

HB and CtB are different and CtB is being abolished as an actual benefit from April and being replaced by something else (the name escapes me sorry) which will be administered by each LA individually and it is a finite amount so has to be looked at very carefully, each LA will decide who retains help and who has to contribute.

As far as I am aware the reforms for HB also come into effect from April 2013 and will limit the help available LHA but someone else more knowledgeable will contibute I would imagine.

Hi Flumps,

Good information however having read about what you stated about housing benefit cut for under 35s, so will I be affected by this?

If you're privately renting you will. If you're in council property I don't think it'll affect you. My 30 yr old brother is in a council flat & wont be affected.

If you're privately renting you will. If you're in council property I don't think it'll affect you. My 30 yr old brother is in a council flat & wont be affected.

Hi Jadeybags,

No my flat is not private rented, it's from a housing association

MPs should have all expenses and other perks axed and be made to live on a single wage :)

The real result of that would be that only rich people would be able to become MPs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.