Going self employed but worried about eligibility for Working Tax Credits

laurenb2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, Im new so Im sorry if I repeating a question asked by some on else.. I have been on incapacity benefit for four years now following the death of my husband and subsequent break down,I did nurse but have always suffered with depression and anxiety which I can no longer control..I decided I couldnt stay on incapacity any longer and that I would try to go self employed.I am hoping that I can turn my hobby into an income as have had some success selling my product. but am worried I wont receive the disability element as Im hoping to..it sounds ridiculous but I cant sleep for worrying as I know I cant live on WTC with out it.Im single and have no children so it would be about 50 per week. My business isnt off the ground yet and am so worried i have done the wrong thing. Im still on anti depressents and need to see a physio for problems with my shoulder - thanks for any advice- very down : (

Hello and welcome to CAG. I think you've come to the right place. :)

You've posted in the HMRC forum which isn't wrong, but I think the guys may have some thoughts for you on the main benefits forum. Someone else has done something similar to what you want to do and I'll post a link to his thread.

I'll move your thread an leave you a short term redirect here. Please bear with us if it's a little slow over the weekend and holiday.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

Here's a link to Simon's thread where he talked about turning his hobby into his job. It's early days but it seems to be going OK. I'll post the other link in a mo. It would be great if Simon saw your thread and felt able to comment.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?371351-Time-to-make-a-change-take-a-chance-avoid-ESA-and-make-a-future!&p=4071890#post4071890

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi thank you all for replies.I have tried some permitted work in the past in a shop but I suffer from panic attacks so it didnt go well, I was afraid to ask to do more permitted work- even if it is only at home, incase they assumed I was better and questioned my illness ..My sister was seeing a job centre advisor some weeks ago, he asked me about my situation and said I wouldnt be any worse of going self employed than I am now,as my hobby can become a good earner if I was free to pursue it.He said what with wtc and the return to work grant (at least for the first year)I would be okay until my business took off.

But In order to make a claim for tax credits, you need to be working already,so i just went for it and rang HMRC and told them I was now self employed! I then filled in the working tax form and sent that off, I now have an appointment to see some one at the job centre to tell them I am now self employed and wont be claiming incapacity any more - Im a complete wreck! and dont know how Ill manage at the job centre. I am just so worried that I wont be entitled tothe element in tax credits which take into account my health, and wondering if I have made a big mistake? Has any one else gone on to working tax credits from ESA or incapacity?Was it fairly straight forward or will it take a long time, and did they question your entitlement to the disability element?

Sorry I can't help you on the legal side but IMHO if you suffer from anxiety/depression maybe going self-employed full-time is not the best choice. Moreover I think to qualify for WTC you need to work more than 30 hours a week for at least 4 weeks but I could be wrong.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Sorry I can't help you on the legal side but IMHO if you suffer from anxiety/depression maybe going self-employed full-time is not the best choice. Moreover I think to qualify for WTC you need to work more than 30 hours a week for at least 4 weeks but I could be wrong.

I suffer from severe depression and anxiety in the WRAG group at the moment.

I looked into going self employed and got myself into a real mess thinking about it all.

It sent my stress levels through the roof.

I also had to consider what about the days when I am not mentally fit to work I would not be able to produce anything.

Also going out and about to try and sell my produce, would have come off the rails on day 1.

If I had someone who could come with me and perhaps of helped intially - but I live alone so that was not an option.

Think carefully before you leap into it.

Working for yourself is something you do when you have a good business plan and have an aggressive/confident personality. I would focus on finding a good cure for your depression and when you think you are stronger then you can always reconsider your original plan.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"