lady21

Urgent advice re property extension

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2484 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I need some urgent advice on a terraced property we brought in 2006...

There was already an extension on the property which was carried out in 2005 which they got planning permission for...

Although since carrying out many diy and redecorating think we may have a problem and not sure where I stand and what to do???

We seem to think whoever built our extension just used the neighbours extended wall?? Rather than build our own one? So for example say if they decide to knock there extension down ours would no doubt come down with it??

I was hoping to be able to build an extension above ours but if we are sharing a wall there would be many implications I would imagine?? So I have no idea where I go from here? And what sort of problems are going to unfold along the way??

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated....

You need a qualified surveyor to look at this and check id the LA still has plans on file.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I think you are meant to have what they call a party wall agreement. your survey should have picked up if there was potential for problems, I would find out if you can take it up with them as ultimately was their responsibility to find that out! hope that helps a bit?

When I called LA they couldn't find drawings etc... But I haven't mentioned my suspicions of wall problem as Im worried... So I basically need to get in contact with company who surveyed property then?

I would think so, thats what you employ them for! My daughter, when she bought her house it was picked up in the survey that the conservatory had not got planning permission and they got advice on how to deal with that. IF YOU DIG OUT YOUR PAPERWORK IF YOU STILL HAVE IT AND LOOK AT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS for the surveyors you used and see if there is any mention of a party wall agreement? and also how long is their work "under guarantee " still. also another good place for advice on this would be if you have legal cover on your house insurance? if you have they could take it up with the surveyor on your behalf, to my mind the responsibility should be with the property surveyor! I am not an expert but am on planning commitee for a parish council. If you have a parish council where you are you could talk to them they usually know the ins and outs of your local planning matters

When I called LA they couldn't find drawings etc... But I haven't mentioned my suspicions of wall problem as Im worried... So I basically need to get in contact with company who surveyed property then?

if you are referring to the survey that you may of had done for mortgage they are very basic and wouldn't rely on them for any come back as really only a visual survey

you may be better getting a structural engineer that could work out loading ect

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

if you are referring to the survey that you may of had done for mortgage they are very basic and wouldn't rely on them for any come back as really only a visual survey

you may be better getting a structural engineer that could work out loading ect

So I would do this independently? Would they then be able to give advice on what to do with possibly sharing wall etc

Any mortgage survey is basic they are not allowed to lift carpet so can never have a proper look (really they jack of all trades master of none!)

I`m in the building game so come across a few!

If they see anything they will always pass the buck

As the property had planning permission was there any completion certificate from LA as they normally sigh the work off in stages

they should advise you the way forwards

EDIT yes get a local independent survyer or structural engineer

Edited by i hate bailiffs

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Have you spoken with your neighbors? were they the ones who were there when the extension went up? most people will kick up it they had built without their permission to use the wall praps both extensions were done by same builder at the same time? Personally, I would get legal advice if you have it included on any of your insurances?! see where you stand before anything else!If you have no legal cover on your insurance get a fixed fee appointment, write your questions down before you go so you dont waste time and get all of the answers you need! :-)

indeed the shared wall would be a party wall and you have certain rights as does your neighbour.

see below;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/PpWeb/jsp/redirect.jsp?url=http%3A//www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_partywall_explain_booklet.pdf

this does not come into the remit of planning or building control, and is a process between you and the adjoining owner.

can be as informal or as legal as you both wish to make it.

As said, a party wall agreement needs to be sorted out. As the extension has been there more than 6 years there is no comeback on you from your neighbour about what already exists but any alterations that affect their property really needs to be formally agreed otherwise you could end up in all sorts of bother regarding subsidence, rain run-off etc and you wouldnt have much of a defence. costs about £600 to get sorted properly so not much of a dent in a 2 storey entension budget.