style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there,

I'm having problems with Philips at the minute.

went to court for something stupid,

didn't get found guilty but they still made me pay court costs (£80).

I was paying £20 p/month to the courts.

It got down to about £40.

I receive a letter off Philips saying I owe a £110!!

I didn't default any payments with the courts has this happened to anyone else?

I defaulted Philips as they were asking for £50 p/month

I'm only getting enough money to live on and now they're trying to charge me a £325 they said over the phone I could go to jail etc....

if someone could give me some advice I would be grateful :-)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No court letters with remainder and I moved but I informed courts at I had moved and carried on paying as normal!

Also a few weeks ago I got a "Distress Warrant" warning through my door

saying they had the Distress Warrant but surely if they did have one they would of called out.

I had a guy who came out

I said I wasn't in a position to pay £50 p/month

he walked away seen nothing since of him, he just said okay i'll pass that on to Philips.

I even rang the courts and said i'll bring receipt in to prove at I did pay!

and they said they couldn't do nothing!

I'll look for the letters later on today and post them up :)

Also the last letter I got didn't even have the bailiffs name it was just a 3 numbers?

No need to post the letters up at this time.

The extra costs they have levied are for the home visit etc. Have your circumstances changed since you made the offer to pay £20 a month? Like no job now? If not I would suggest trying to get it relisted and offering what you can really afford.

One thing that perplexes me is that you got not guilty but had to pay costs? They dont make you pay costs if you were found not guilty

They couldn't of levied anything though because I've not let them in and surely they can't levy though looking through a window? And no circumstances have changed. And I did have to pay the costs of £80 apparently and I wasn't found guilty I've also emailed the courts to ask if they did issue a distress warrant.

Sorry I should have not used the word levy with bailiffs. it makes it confusing.

Their charges were for the house visit. I still dont see how you got the court costs if found not guilty, very exceptinal circumstances like witholding info that could have proved your innocence earlier. Were you represented?

Yeah, I was represented by a solicitor.

But they had went into court without me

I turned up just on time to go in

my solicitor came out and said it had all been sorted,

then he said I had £80 to pay for court costs to pay off

even though I wasn't found guilty (As I would of been charged!) which I wasn't

and one time the bailiff must of put a letter through quietly as I slept on the sofa waiting for the postman with a parcel to knock

as I'm a heavy sleeper and the bailiff didn't knock but put a letter through.

It was because because when I was at college

I had a bus pass the date had faded

I write it back on (stupid I know) my girlfriend done it with hers as well once

and got away with it by ringing the courts and apologizing.

Who prosecuted you was it the local bus company or travel company? I know my criminal law but not so much prosecutions brought by other authorites like local govenrment, RSPCA, TOS etc so dont know if there is a usual process of costs to be awarded in these case if the case is found not proven .

I probably await my learned members

That might be slightly different then I will let another member answer as there might be something I am not aware of.

For your solicitor to come out and say it has been dealt with but you have a £80 costs,

that would say to me you have been found guilty as well as your admission above.

Think it best to wait for someone else who will pop along shortly

Did the bailiff leave any paperwork that said it was a Form 55, NOTICE OF SEIZURE? did it also have a vehicle listed, bailiffs are known to be silly and seize any handy car that is parked outside or adjacent to an address, in order to increase the fees they can charge. It looks like Phillips may be acting for HMCS, so a little more information as to what paperwork the court sent would help focus advice for you.

Did you receive a Final Steps Notice from the court which they must send by law before handing your case to bailiffs.

Edited by brassnecked

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I only received a letter saying it was my last chance to make payment plans etc. that was the Final Steps notice.. and a one for saying they had a Distress Warrant, I'm only worried case they mark my neighbors car down lol because he normally tends to park right outside of my house instead of his.

They may well levy your neigbours car, but it can then be challenged, it might be worth contacting the court, but they will likely tell you to speak to the bailiff, try not to worry, others will be along soon with further advice

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I hope they don't levy it as it's a mercedes and it's not cheap! even if it was cheap I still wouldn't want it levied as it's their car and not mine. I rang court even though i had receipt they said speak to the bailiff it's no longer in our hands :(

Courts cannot instruct bailiffs unless they send you a Further Steps Notice first. Failure to do so renders the bailiffs' actions unlawful, if not, illegal, as the law clearly states enforcement action must not be taken until after the FSN is served. If you were already paying off the costs with the courts and had received no formal notices from them, contact the Area HMCTS Enforcement Manager and find out what is going on. Ring the court switchboard and ask for the Enforcement Manager's direct telephone number. Also, ask for the name and direct telephone number of the Regional HMCTS Contracts Manager. You need to report this as Philips may well be breaching their contract with HMCTS and/or acting ultra vires.

Who prosecuted you was it the local bus company or travel company? I know my criminal law but not so much prosecutions brought by other authorites like local govenrment, RSPCA, TOS etc so dont know if there is a usual process of costs to be awarded in these case if the case is found not proven .

I probably await my learned members

Are you a former police officer, Transient?

Thanks old bill. I'll be doing this Friday as I've just changed phone provider and don't wanna ring off mobile as it'll cost me a bomb, so i'll be on it first thing Friday. Thanks for the advice.

Same here. I'm ex-Met and MDP. Which is your former force? There are to the best of my knowledge and belief a number of former officers on CAG.
BTP London and then Met in the West end. Got out and now in IT with a nice penison to boot and no more hassle. Assume MDP first?