starlight6

Does the council send warnings if not receiving council tax payment?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2478 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I moved into my current flat the best part of 2 years ago now. When i first moved in I called the council to let them know and from memory sorted out council tax. I also let them know via iamoving.com too. Recently, I realised that no council tax was going out my account and looking back on my bank statements it looks like they have never taken anything.

Now I have never once received a letter from the council. My experience at previous properties is that if the council is not getting their money then they send out stark warnings constantly. Based on this, my gut is telling me that the landlord is paying them. He already covers other bills like maintenance and water on the property, I just cover the electricity, so it doesn't seem unreasonable.

I want to call the council and find out what is going on, but nearly 2 years in now I'm worried that if they haven't got any money then they will suddenly say they are going to fine me and put a black mark against my credit record. Does it sound likely that the council would let it go so long without writing to a property if they weren't getting their money?

Does it sound likely that the council would let it go so long without writing to a property if they weren't getting their money?

The council would normally send several Reminders and then a Summons to chase up payment. Its highly unlikely they wouldn't do anything in 2 years!