O2 Mobile upgrade

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am shortly due to upgrade with 02 for the 3rd year. If I remember correctly last year I didn't get the model I wanted - and that they were only concerned with keeping on thier books as cheaply as possible. I am a good customer and have never missed a payment *just surprised myself*.

The reason for asking is because when I left 3 two years ago they just wouldn't let me cancel, and the deal just kept getting better and better (there was no way I was going to stay with them though). So if I refuse their first offer - are 02 likely to come back with a better one - or are they set in stone?

I currently have a W800i and would like to upgrade to a Nokia N91. I pay £25 a month, on 12 month contract and get 200mins and 100texts. I am happy to keep on paying £25 (no reduction for lenght of custom) and am happy with the minutes and texts.

The brochure they sent me with choice of phones avialiable to me were not good enough LOL:lol: ,

Any advice?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with o2 online, have been for years, each year i call up their upgrade line and get offered a phone thats a down grade from my current model, it seems their upgrade line has absolutly no flexability.....HOWEVER! call up their cancelation line and be nice but a little upset about the situation and they will be falling over themselves to help out! I was on 25 a month (didnt really go much outside my contracted 500 off peak x-talk mins and 500 texts), a year and a half ago i had an SE s700i, this years offerings had me paying 15 for same contract (stayed at 12months rather than going up to an 18 month contract too!) and got a SE k800i when it first came out for free :D (side note this phone rules!).

Interesting, can you enlighten me further re the 02 cancellation process? I know exactly what you mean because It took about 5 stages with 3, but wouldn't want to be successful in my cancellation (poor credit - thus I look after what credit I have!)

i.e do they cancel straight away or pass you through to other departments first?

Thanks

Well i always start with the line that 'i'm thinking about canceling my account', when they ask why i mention about paying too much/better deals else where/yada yada yada, going by what i've done in the past its not an imediate cancellation, theres usually a lengthy descusion (or in the case when i was actually trying to close my account with o2 back when i was in uni i had to argume and keep asking for 6 months for it to be closed!).

If you really want to haggle though have in mind exactly whcih phone you want (make sure they are offering it), before hand a a good 30 mins/hour research in google for what prices etc everyone else is offering (note down the good ones to use as ammunition), then when you go into the call you can hit them up with trying to get them to price match and as a final blow point out the loyalty to staying with them etc.

Funny you should say that, I've just checked out the K800i and one likes:lol: , after all my saying 'i'll never leave nokia again' it appears to be fantastic with all the reviews to boot - i'll keep checking. If I can get a silver one I'm sold. Just checked the tariffs and I am being ripped off. I'm glad you said to check what they stock as 02 don't appear to do the n91 anyway...:rolleyes:

if you are a life long nokia person then you will feel very uncomfortable with SE's way of doing things (menus etc) for some time (the transition time can be a good month or 2), from what i can tell though se and nokia have the most intuitive menu's out of all the manufacturers. The camera on this phone is what makes it though, the auto focus and 3mp mean you get excelent pictures (check out mobile-review for examples) also being one of the few if not the only phone with a flash this thing rules if you go to a lot of evening venues etc (i go clubbing/pubbing quite a bit so the flash is invaluable), infact if i'm being honest the flash is a little too good sometimes so you still have to be a tiny bit picky in night clubs to get the lighting right as the pictures can be a little bleached on occation (its easy once you know how, also just use twighlight portrate mode religiously for night close up pictures).

The only niggling things are that it doesnt come with a memory stick (m2 memory which only goes up to 1gb for about 40quid) and the lense cover sticks out so much it always gets opened up in my jeans pocket but other than that its the best mobile phone i've owned ever.

Had SE for the last 2 years (did prefer nokia menus etc) so thats ok. My main focus is the MP3 player (had nothing but trouble with the W800i - from getting the music on the phone, and fighting to keep the earphones in my ears! Memory not a prob either - that would do me. Did you get a silver one - the 02 picture is black, its looks a bit dowdy!

just check the general help line from the o2 web page (usually a premium rate number which kinda sucks) then ask to be put through, i always go through upgrades department first though, just for traditions sake :)

the mp3 player on it is very basic (its not like the w series phones so not a massive ammount of controls etc), but it seems to do the job. Headphones wise they are the cheep and chearful ones with it which are fine for me going to/from work listening to radio but if you are big into music i'd suggest get the upgrade cord thing which has the mic but you can then plug in your own set of headphones with a 3.5mm headphone socket.

As for phone colour i thought there was only black as i've not seen any other colours but i could be wrong, the black looks quite nice i think especially with the silver edge its got, it would have been nicer if those bits where metal but i spose they wanted to keep the weight down etc.

wish I had seen this thread earlier...I work for O2 so could have given you the procedure to get the best deal.

It might sound like corporate speak but O2 really do want to retain customer loyalty and because of this you are more than likely to get the deal you want...within reason.

If anyone want the absolute dogs Bo**ox phone for business then wait afew weeks for the Nokia E50. This phone is the daddy...fantastic features...some not seen before and slimline light weight good looking too. I'm currently trialing one and quite frankly...this is only only phone I will not give back.

Make sure to also get your free weekend minutes too text smile to 21300, might as well get something for nothing

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

I agree, I don't want the deal of the century (well I wouldn't mind) Just the phone I want (well maybe a few hundred extra texts!!). Is this phone just for business users? - I hardly use it for calls (talktalk landline is free to an extent).

Thanks for the smile tip - is this for regular customers too?

02 called before and I said I wanted the ES K800i in silver availiable at the end of the month, and he said they'd call back then and made a note (after he said I'm calling about the literature you recently recieved - I soon let him know [nicely] that I wasn't looking for a phone in that league, and that I'd researched the upgrade considerably and felt I had being paying too much)

I do want to stay with 02 - never had an issue in 2 years. Off to google the E50 now!!

no offence noobrider but going by the stats on the E50 its really nothing special, i know i'm bias towards SE phones (no i dont work for SE i just love their phones), but that E50 really doesnt have anything thats that great especially if you are looking for a business type phone there are far more available that are more capable.

Mobile-review.com Nokia E50

I could be wrong, please point it out if i am :)

As i say, the mp3 player on the k800 isnt great, it does the job but has no frills (i dont know why they dont just murge the mp3 firmware with their main brands of phone but hey, ours is not to reason why!).

Mobile review is very good, they have a lot of up to the min info and they give fairly unbias reviews of products so i do a lot of my phone reading there.

On first look I did't think it had a MP3 player (due to its business orientatedness) if thats not a word, you know what I mean!!

But I can see on 2nd look it does. I've told 02 what I want so i'll stick with that. One more question SB - Is the SE K800's MP3 Player better than what I have now?? (W800i)?? If its not better I will have to change my mind!! I know I could trawl through reviews and that but I hope you will prevent me from doing so!

On first look I did't think it had a MP3 player (due to its business orientatedness) if thats not a word, you know what I mean!!

But I can see on 2nd look it does. I've told 02 what I want so i'll stick with that. One more question SB - Is the SE K800's MP3 Player better than what I have now?? (W800i)?? If its not better I will have to change my mind!! I know I could trawl through reviews and that but I hope you will prevent me from doing so!

Just re-read the thread and its obvious from #14 the K series MP3 isn't as good as the W, so I sounded like a right tit. Thing is I'm not that technically minded so it boils down to this - for me anyway,

I'm sure my phone is great and all that but;

* I cant fathom the memory card bit

* The earphones keep falling out

* Even my computer literate mate even struggles to get music on the thing.

So I guess I am hoping that I get an easy to use phone, with earphones that stay in, and I can easily transfer music to the phone without it being too complicated. I was half going to get an ipod - but I figure if the phone is good enough I wouldn't need to!!

So I don't mind if the MP3 bit is not that great - that in a wierd way sounds great to me! As long as I can store say 100 tunes, and the earpieces stay in I'll be happy!

Just because I want to get the best phone possible for my money, doesn't mean i'll know how to use it:D

When I said the E50 is a business phone I was more referring to the fact that it has Blackberry connect and Microsoft exchange push services pre installed. It has MP3 player, Real Player Flash player, word excell powerpoint adobe pdf viewers can open zip files..has a gps navigator software (not great more of a glorified compass and not built in gps receiver). OK the camera is only 1.3 Mp but the lens is top quality and it takes some very respectable pictures of a very good quality. The full web browser is excellent, as the joystick becomes the mouse very nice touch and it is very fast. A really cool feature is the voice aid, whereby it will speak to you...a la steven hawkins...it can read your messages and all the menus out...if the caller is one of your contacts...while its ringing it annouces the persons name. I mainly use it for the Blackberry service as I am a business user but as I said with so many features it would suit just about anyone and Blackberry is becoming more popular with consumers now too.

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

fair play, yup i noticed those functions, impressive to see in that style of phone rather than the pda style phone so i'll give it koodos for that :)

thailand, i'd say go to a phone shop (doesnt matter what kind) and ask to have a look/play around with a k800 first just to know for definate its the one you want then get the silver one at the end of the month when it comes out if you like it.