bcham

job applicants over 55

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2483 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

hi,

im currently on the work programme,and i am 55yrs old and i have been out of work over 5 years,my past jobs have been in warehouse work.and packing.but i never even get an interview,

do employers think im too old,:|

A million pound question!

I think at one stage every jobseeker has asked himself the same question. I was refused a job when I was only 26 because I was too old.

There was a time when employer would rather hire mature applicants because they were considered more reliable. But this was when it was the boss himself hiring people. Now the hiring is done by 22yo girls at some HR department.

I've have no issues with 22yo's but when I was 22 I though that everybody over 35 was basically dead.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

is there any more members on here over 50 in the same boat as me,

I'm 55 on 3rd January, same boat, tons of proven experience and qualifications, tons of applications (9 in the last two days) but no joy.

The current government is making sure that people under the age of 26 are kept in employment from leaving school/college/university at all costs (they call this age group NEETS, (Not in Employment, Education or Training). Various London boroughs are involved in this scheme. In my local Jobcentre the under 25s even have their own 'floor' they go to!

Ageism is sadly alive and well and now financially motivated too - it stops runaway job costs as obviously a younger person costs a lot less than an older one - blinkered thinking or what!

is there any more members on here over 50 in the same boat as me,

Yep, I'm nearly 57 I my last full time job ended in Oct 2008, I applied for dozens and dozens of positions, I tried every trick in the book, leaving out my date of birth from CV's, only listing the last three posts, blah,blah. I sound quite young over the phone so I made it to a few interviews, once they realised that I was a lot older than I sounded the rest of the interview was just going through the motions, the interviewers made it obvious without actually saying so that they thought I was to old for the posts.

I'm on ESA now as my health took a nosedive in 2011, so I'm out of the running at the moment, but to be honest the older you get the harder it is, even if I was 100% fit I would be very surprised to get employment now.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I think it is very important that young people are kept in work whether they cost less or not.Ageism is alive and kicking but I would much prefer that young people were made to train and earn instead of getting used to sitting around doing nothing constructive with their lives. It should have been sorted out long ago.

yea i have applied for lots of jobs,but with no success ,but the work advisors ,keep asking me why i cant get a jobi say my age,they say im putting up barriers.?

do employers think im too old,...

....is there any more members on here over 50 in the same boat as me,

I'm 50, have made loads of applications and once in a while I get an interview. I didn't think I was too old at all (still feel 30 something) but when I turn up for an interview and everyone else in the building appears to be in the 18-25 bracket it does make me think straight away i'm wasting my time being there.

hi,

im currently on the work programme,and i am 55yrs old and i have been out of work over 5 years,my past jobs have been in warehouse work.and packing.but i never even get an interview,

do employers think im too old,:|

There is no logic to the recruitment process..... Mr Alan Sugar, for example, left school with a few mediocre grades at O level, became a mere pleb of a Barrow Boy, and has a novel approach towards recruiting candidates.... the misogynstic pleb damns any female of "child bearing age" which kinda rules out any female between the age of 16-55.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/24/alan-sugar-louise-mensch-twitter

She was referring to comments made by Mr Sugar in a 2009 interview. When asked if he would employ an expectant mother, he said: "Why would anyone give anybody a job knowing ... unless it was a temporary job ... because if she was pregnant, then within three or four months she wouldn't be able to do the job, so if it was a temp job and you had a need, of course, why not?"

When questioned on giving a pregnant woman a full-time position he added: "She wouldn't be able to do it, would she? Well, yes, you'd hire her and then she'd go on maternity leave."

Quite a pathetic attitude, frankly - I blame the parents.

Edited by RebeccaPidgeon
Additional Information Submitted

the misogynstic pleb damns any female of "child bearing age" which kinda rules out any female between the age of 16-55.

How is this legal? Many women can't have children for whatever reason and some don't want children.

on the other side...my father who is 72 is still getting calls all the time from the agency he worked with to do laboring jobs. I had to email them and asked them to stop calling as he is not fit since finishing his last job 6 months ago and was considering it.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I'm over 51 and agree that its tough to get a full tine job once you are considered "over the hill". Since 2006 most of the work I have done has been agency work which has taught me a lot of new skills. I've worked in all sorts of places - printers, distillers,recycling plants, logistics and food processing/packaging. My preference is the food industry as its usually clean, warm (in the winter some places can be freezing where they leave loading bay doors open!) and not too strenuous

I believe if you are capable and a benefit to a company, they will employ you irrespective of age. Its just a case of getting a foot in the door and proving yourself which agency work can give you an opportunity to do. I've worked at the company I'm presently at since May last year. They have included me in staff training programmes and I am due to sign a full time contract when I get back in the new year.

Agency work does have its draw backs in so far as you can go for weeks with little or no work. It used to be case of being able to sign on as soon as a contract finished and get paid JSA but not sure if that is still the case.