me and Aktive Kapital

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help,

I have a problem with Aktive Kapital.

I received a letter from them saying I owe 1,400 pounds,

they have been sending mail to my late fathers house.

He passed away a few weeks ago, and I came across the letter while going through paper work.

This is a debt I had forgotten about as its over 6 years old.

I have not lived at this address for 7 years.

I now live in America.

I wrote to them saying this is statute barred as its over 6 years old and that I have not gotten anything from them as I have not lived there all this time,

below is there reply,

they say As a Judgment has been obtained

the terms of the Limitation Act do not apply.

how should I answer from here please?

any help would be gratefully received.

This debt is from a business that folded 7 years ago.

I used the card for expenses etc............

You are claiming that the account is statute barred under the Limitations Period. Upon our own investigations, we have confirmed this not to be the case.

Santander (formerly GE Capital) were the original credit providers in this matter they registered the original default against you and then sold the account to CL Finance (also known as The Lewis Group) who obtained a Judgment against you.

The details are:

Last Payment Date 18-Sep-06 Last Payment Amount £50

Date Written Off 13/12/2007 Write Off Amount £1366.96 Reason for Write Off 5

Total Expenses £214 Total Paid Since Default £ 150

Issue Date 31/10/2005 Judgment Date 26/11/2005

Judgment Instalment £125 Judgment Date 17/08/2006

Total Fees £112 Total Costs £ 102

Last Warrant Date XX-XXX-XX

GE Alt REF ...9 Creation Date 26/10/2005

Court Code..Case Number....

As a Judgment has been obtained the terms of the Limitation Act do not apply.

if you now live in the USA why are you bothered ?

they would have to go to court again as nothing has happened in the 6 years and if you realy wanted to up set them you could also waste your money by getting this set aside as you did not recieve the court papers.

or you could just tell them to do one.

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

Thanks for posting Huggy, I guess I just want them to stop calling that house and stop sending the threatening letters. My mum is 90 and dealing with the loss of her husband of 70 years, these a.....es keep calling and sending s..e. I was wondering if there was a standard letter I could send referring to there claim that as a judgement was posted is not longer statute Barred?

Can anyone help, I have a problem with Aktive Kapital. I received a letter from them saying I owe 1,400 pounds, they have been sending mail to my late fathers house. He passed away a few weeks ago, and I came across the letter while going through paper work. This is a debt I had forgotten about as its over 6 years old. I have not lived at this address for 7 years. I now live in America. I wrote to them saying this is statute barred as its over 6 years old and that I have not gotten anything from them as I have not lived there all this time, below is there reply, they say As a Judgment has been obtained the terms of the Limitation Act do not apply. how should I answer from here please? any help would be gratefully received. This debt is from a business that folded 7 years ago. I used the card for expenses etc. I would like to know the best way of moving forward.

Here is there reply........

You are claiming that the account is statute barred under the Limitations Period. Upon our own investigations, we have confirmed this not to be the case..

Santander (formerly GE Capital) were the original credit providers in this matter they registered the original default against you and then sold the account to CL Finance (also known as The Lewis Group) who obtained a Judgment against you.

The details are:

Last Payment Date 18-Sep-06 Last Payment Amount £50

Date Written Off 13/12/2007 Write Off Amount £1366.96 Reason for Write Off 5

Total Expenses £214 Total Paid Since Default £ 150

Issue Date 31/10/2005 Judgment Date 26/11/2005

Judgment Instalment £125 Judgment Date 17/08/2006

Total Fees £112 Total Costs £ 102

Last Warrant Date XX-XXX-XX

GE Alt REF YYY Creation Date xx/xx/xxxx

Court Code zzz Case Number zzzzzzzzzzz

As a Judgment has been obtained the terms of the Limitation Act do not apply.

You need to check with the Trust site http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ to see if indeed they did obtain a CCJ, if they did you could apply to have it set-aside.

However they are only partially correct in the statement that the limitations act does not apply to a ccj. Although a ccj never becomes statute barred their right to take enforcement action does.

Section 24 of the Limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

For this reason alone, cc judges would not normally allow enforcement.

There is case law to suggest that 6 years is enough time for a claimant to enforce a judgment debt. In Patel v Singh [2002] EWCA Civ 1938 and Duer v Frazer [2001] 1 All ER 249 leave to enforce these debts were both refused.

The reason being is that it was held that the general rule is that the passing of six years is sufficient in itself and the court would not extend time unless there were exceptional circumstances and it is demonstrably just to do so. It would be for the creditor to argue the reasons for delay and argue why they should take the case out of the general rule.

Would they not need to seek leave of the cour to enforce this now???

That's what I said Brig.

Besides the fact they can't take enforcement in the US without a US court's permission. Even then it can be contested under sec 24 of the Limitations Act.

AK are trying their luck IMO hoping the OP will be suckered into paying them. They certainly won't spend any money trying to bring an action in the US.

I was concerned about the last warrant dates could this extend the ''life'' of the CCJ??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I was concerned about the last warrant dates could this extend the ''life'' of the CCJ??

Unless the warrant has been executed then no enforcement has occurred ergo the original date of the CCJ should still stand IMO. ;)

Besides, AK will get nowhere in the land of the septics even if they knew where the OP was.

Thanks gentlemen for all your help, and for the help you give others.

Don't let them know where you are either. Frankly I wouldn't bother with any more communication.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.