Self Employed PPI Claim Rejected by Egg (Canada Square Operations)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone clarify a few things about a claim for PPI I recently made please?

I received a letter from Egg a few months ago advising that I may have been mis-sold PPI so I filled in the questionnaire and sent it back. I was self employed from 2002 to 2011. I had a loan in 2003 with them that was settled in 2006 and I think I was paying for PPI - I have no paper work for it anymore.

I received a letter back from Canada Square Operations who are handling the ppi claims and it says:

"I understand from your complaint that it concerns the sale of payment protection insurance, and in particular that you are of the opinion that you were mis-sold a product...

We note the allegation you have made regarding the sale of the policy, is that you did not feel the policy was appropriate for your circumstances as you were self-employed at the time of the sale.

We acknowledge there may have been flaws in our sales process. However, despite the allegation you have made I am not persuaded that the sale failing you identified above would have affected your decision to take out the PPI. This is because, taking in to account your circumstances at the time of the sale which are disclosed in your questionnaire, it is clear that you had no other means at the time of protecting your loan repayments.

You stated in D.5 of the questionnaire that you would not have received any pay from your employer if you were off work due to incident, sickness or it you were made redundant. You also stated in section D.6 that you did not have any other means of making your repayments if you were unable to work through sickness accident or unemployment.

As a result, I am rejecting your complaint and this letter represents our final response"

I'm obviously not happy with the decision but I can't work out why it has been rejected. The reasons don't make sense to me. I was self-employed, they haven't said that I would have been covered so I am assuming I was exempt from the policy. I know I wouldn't have bought it had they told me I wasn't covered so surely, I have been mis-sold it - either by them asking my profession and ignoring it, or by not telling me I wouldn't be covered if I was self employed?

Why is there this emphasis in the letter about not having any other means to cover my loan repayments? Surely I take out PPI because I have no other means to cover it so that point is irrelevant??

Sorry for the long post- I am trying to decide whether to appeal as the letter also says I can do that within 6 months to the ombudsman, I just don't want to make an argument that isn't valid and waste my time if someone can point out what it all really means.

Thanks for looking and Happy Christmas!

Andy

Can anyone clarify a few things about a claim for PPI I recently made please?

I received a letter from Egg a few months ago advising that I may have been mis-sold PPI so I filled in the questionnaire and sent it back. I was self employed from 2002 to 2011. I had a loan in 2003 with them that was settled in 2006 and I think I was paying for PPI - I have no paper work for it anymore.

I received a letter back from Canada Square Operations who are handling the ppi claims and it says:

"I understand from your complaint that it concerns the sale of payment protection insurance, and in particular that you are of the opinion that you were mis-sold a product...

We note the allegation you have made regarding the sale of the policy, is that you did not feel the policy was appropriate for your circumstances as you were self-employed at the time of the sale.

We acknowledge there may have been flaws in our sales process. However, despite the allegation you have made I am not persuaded that the sale failing you identified above would have affected your decision to take out the PPI. This is because, taking in to account your circumstances at the time of the sale which are disclosed in your questionnaire, it is clear that you had no other means at the time of protecting your loan repayments.

You stated in D.5 of the questionnaire that you would not have received any pay from your employer if you were off work due to incident, sickness or it you were made redundant. You also stated in section D.6 that you did not have any other means of making your repayments if you were unable to work through sickness accident or unemployment.

As a result, I am rejecting your complaint and this letter represents our final response"

I'm obviously not happy with the decision but I can't work out why it has been rejected. The reasons don't make sense to me. I was self-employed, they haven't said that I would have been covered so I am assuming I was exempt from the policy. I know I wouldn't have bought it had they told me I wasn't covered so surely, I have been mis-sold it - either by them asking my profession and ignoring it, or by not telling me I wouldn't be covered if I was self employed?

Why is there this emphasis in the letter about not having any other means to cover my loan repayments? Surely I take out PPI because I have no other means to cover it so that point is irrelevant??

Sorry for the long post- I am trying to decide whether to appeal as the letter also says I can do that within 6 months to the ombudsman, I just don't want to make an argument that isn't valid and waste my time if someone can point out what it all really means.

Thanks for looking and Happy Christmas!

Andy

Basically ppi is missold if u r self employed as you are paying a prem but r not covered therefore yes u need to take this to the fos

Generally speaking the self employed are not covered by PPI policies.

It is a bit of a shame that you may have confused the poor chaps by telling them that

You did not have an employer and you could not have been made redundant.

You should challenge their findings first before going to fos.

They have admitted in their letter that their sales process may well have been flawed so you should put emphasis on this. You should also tell them that you could not have been made redundant and did not have an employer and of they are suggesting that the self employed were covered by their policy you want to have sight of the policy document which confirms this. They will not be able to supply it.

Accordingly they will have no evidence to back up their claims and you should win this.

to give you hope:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?375014-Egg-Now-Canada-Square-Operations-plc-LOAN-PPI-SUCCESS&highlight=Canada+Square+Operations

just remember they have said:

and this letter represents our final response"

then it is not their final respnse

more like a fob off letter.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...