Loose produce

northernbloke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was under the impression that if a shop sold loose produce they had to by law have customer scales so that you could see what weight of bananas or whatever you were buying. My local Co-op doesn't have any and when I asked the assistant he just said they don't have any. Does anyone know if they are obliged to have them legally?

the only requirement is that you as the customer can see the weight display when they weigh the produce ar the checkout. They have no obligation to provide separate customer scales

Correct - you only need to have the opportunity to see the weight and price before you are charged for it, so as long as you are able to see the weight at a self-serve till, or are able to ask the checkout operator to weigh and price an item before committing to buying it, then the law is satisfied.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Problem is that if you do provide scales then they have to be properly calibrated and you can just imagine the complaints where differences occur between shop floor and checkout!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Problem is that if you do provide scales then they have to be properly calibrated and you can just imagine the complaints where differences occur between shop floor and checkout!

We never had ours Calibrated at Sainsburys, I mean, we used to stick on a bag of sugar and if it looked to be about right, that was that.

But the reason they're disappearing is Store Managers are scared on a STORE level as so many people kept slicing their heads on them as they walked past. I can think of 30 stores over a 6 region zone that removed their produce scales. I don't think calibration comes into it as it's only a guideline, but it is in weekly checks to sling a bag of sugar on and make sure it looks about the same.

We never had ours Calibrated at Sainsburys, I mean, we used to stick on a bag of sugar and if it looked to be about right, that was that.

Our Trading Standards are also happy with us using a bag of sugar and allow us up to 10g for the packaging. In other words if it weighed 1005g - 1010g it is OK.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]