Sedonagirl

Lowell & Cabot letters

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2482 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello I am a newbie here and wonder if anyone can help.

We have just recently returned from overseas, we moved in December 2006 and came back here in July 2012. We are now being harrassed by Debt Collection Agencies for old debts which seem to be exorbitant amounts of money.

Are these debts now Statute Barred as we moved in the early part of December and made no further payments, we had intended to contact them but some of our personal papers went missing in transit and I had no contact details. We have not acknowledged any of these letters, my question is, should we ignore them and hope they go away or should we use one of the template letters here. They say they may send someone round to the property, we are only renting for 6 months and will probably go back abroad as we cannot get jobs here and receive no help from the benefit people either. We have no income whatsoever and have had to pay our rent up front. If we do send a letter are we admitting to the debt or is it better to send a letter rather than ignore the situation?

Thanks for your help

Sedonagirl

Hi wlcome to CAG,

Staute barred ==nno payment or acknowledgment in writting for 6 clear years, you need to check credit files, defaults will be dated up to 6 months after the last payment date.

If you can list each debt, which company is chasing the debt, last payment date, I can draft ba letter to suit.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Do the companies concerned visit this site to glean information about people before I list my debts please?

Thanks

Sedonagirl

Do the companies concerned visit this site to glean information about people before I list my debts please?

Thanks

Sedonagirl

They have been known to, but so long as you make the details fairly anonymous - don't post up exact amounts, or post reference numbers, then this is OK.

eg

Debt 1 - Credit Card, Barclaycard, amount being chased £1500, last payment made May 2006

It just gives an idea of how likely any debt is going to be Statute Barred. If the SB date has passed then they can go and whistle, full stop, but if you are a couple of months away from SB then you don't want to be raising your head above the parapet and engaging in too much correspondence as you need to get over that line. It may for example be more appropriate to challenge their right to collect, or to investigate to what extent charges have inflated the amount being claimed.

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!