Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1775 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My recollection of this (the guidance has been posted here before, but I can't find it at the moment) is that the JC can't normally check up on vacancies you applied for "on your own". So if you found the job on a website or local shop window or whatever, they shouldn't be contacting the employer without your permission.

If you're matched to a job by the JC themselves (say, at your signing interview) then they are allowed to check up and it's safest to assume that they will. This used to be called a "Jobseeker's Direction" and maybe still is.

Hi There antone,

The vacancies written down on my job log were applied for on my own accord.

I had a feeling the jobcentre wouldn’t be able phone my contacts with out my permission.

Surly, if they did check without my permission, I could seek legal advice?

However, I think your right about the jobcentre having permission to check up on vacancies they offer their claimants, but they haven’t offered me any jobs lately.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a member of the DWP phoned virtually any office in the country and asked "Did XYZ apply for a vacancy with you?" they would be told "Sorry, its against data protection." So that is just an implied threat they use.

It would be impossible for a large organisation to quickly provide that information to the DWP and many have enough problems providing payroll information to the DWP, let alone this spurious request.

Seeking legal advice is pointless, it would not prove anything nor provide you with any material benefit - if you did somehow get some 'compensation' for this it would directly affect your benefit entitlement as that 'compensation' would be deemed 'earned income'.

If a member of the DWP phoned virtually any office in the country and asked "Did XYZ apply for a vacancy with you?" they would be told "Sorry, its against data protection." So that is just an implied threat they use.

It would be impossible for a large organisation to quickly provide that information to the DWP and many have enough problems providing payroll information to the DWP, let alone this spurious request.

Seeking legal advice is pointless, it would not prove anything nor provide you with any material benefit - if you did somehow get some 'compensation' for this it would directly affect your benefit entitlement as that 'compensation' would be deemed 'earned income'.

Hi Sillygirl1,

Based on what you’re saying, it seems one has little to worry about, but a breach of data protection could be a fine of up to £50,000.

If I hypothetically earned something from this income, I’d happily see my benefits stop in order to receive a greater amount of money.

This is all supposed of course.

i think the copy is just so they have evidence that they have asked you for evidence of your job search.

I don't know about any breach of DP- it may be that social security law allows them to do this (I don't know, I'm just speculating).

Bottom line is, I doubt they have the time or inclination to check up!

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

i think the copy is just so they have evidence that they have asked you for evidence of your job search.

I don't know about any breach of DP- it may be that social security law allows them to do this (I don't know, I'm just speculating).

Bottom line is, I doubt they have the time or inclination to check up!

I agree with what you say Shoelover and also agree with sillygirl1.

My thanks go out to both of you

As others have said, and regardless of any rights or wrongs, there would be just too many phone calls to make and deal with for it to be worth anyone's while.

That said, wouldn't it be great if they did? It would amount to thousands of extra phone calls a day. So the DWP would need to recruit hundreds more people just for that. Major companies likewise for people to handle and investigate the calls. And, obviously, the DWP would need to recruit even more people to handle the calls they make to themselves regarding their own advertised vacancies and applicants. This could be the way to full employment in the UK! :madgrin:

As others have said, and regardless of any rights or wrongs, there would be just too many phone calls to make and deal with for it to be worth anyone's while.

That said, wouldn't it be great if they did? It would amount to thousands of extra phone calls a day. So the DWP would need to recruit hundreds more people just for that. Major companies likewise for people to handle and investigate the calls. And, obviously, the DWP would need to recruit even more people to handle the calls they make to themselves regarding their own advertised vacancies and applicants. This could be the way to full employment in the UK! :madgrin:

Very true, lol :razz: