style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Dazza1983,

Interestingly, I found a video on youtube which seems to show a way of getting out of doing the (CWP).

However, I am unsure if this video is now out of date for its advice?

My job centre advisor said I wouldn’t need to sign anything and my (CWP) is mandatory, but the video link below shows a form which must be signed by the client to give consent.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.docdroid.net/yo1Kb2D/escape-cwp-referral-leaflet-updated.pdf.html

That post was made only in December last, so I imagine it may be relevant?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I think you right Bazooka Boo,

To be honest, I did ask my job centre advisor if she expected me to sign anything before commencing (CWP) and she said something like “you don’t sign anything, we just send you on it”

I wonder if my job centre advisor was bluffing me.

I also asked my advisor twice what the (CWP) would entail and she wouldn’t tell me anything specific.

All I know is that it’s with some company?.....probably some charity shop!

Edited by dx100uk

The link does not appear to be working, try this one:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/community-work-placements-dwp-provider-guidance

The link provided by Bazooka Boo is useful and the grounds upon which Mr Baker challenged CWP is still applicable. For more of Mr Baker's experiences check out this link, as you can see the most recent entry on this link is 15 Jan 2016 :

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cwp_participation#comment-65958

Both of those links will tell you what to expect once you are referred to a CWP Provider.

Before all that you might want to be prepared for what is involved in the process of referral to the Provider by JCP. This link will help in that endeavour:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/261436/response/640517/attach/3/09%20HtW%20Guidance%20v2%209%202015%2002%2023.pdf

There is also the issues around insurance cover whilst on those courses. Some placement providers that CWP Providers use dump claimants placed with them when they find out that they might have to be responsible for insuring them. This is another whole kettle of fish and it would be advisable to enquire about insurance at CWP Provider interview. Providing evidence of insurance cover is obligatory.

There is quite at lot there to take in but if you do nothing else remember to SIGN NOTHING and, if possible, RECORD INTERVIEWS.

When is your referral interview, by the way, Have you got time to prepare?

Cheers for these useful links Lapsed Workaholic, I'll take a look immediately. :-)

By the way Lapsed Workaholi, I don’t know when they’re going to send me on my referral interview, but its gonna be soon

Here is a useful video regarding the Community Work Placement (CWP) and how to get out of it.

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

I was wondering if someone can advise me about the jobcentre and how far they can legally go when checking a claimant’s job search details.

At this moment in time, I’ve exercised my legal right to forbid the jobcentre access to my online details and alternatively fill out a paper job log.

I bring this paper job log with me when signing on each fortnight.

When signing on this week, the jobcentre photocopied my paper job log and said they required a copy for themselves.

However, I’m kind of worried the jobcentre will do the same thing again when signing on next time.

I’m also a little worried the job centre might phone some of the agencies I’ve applied for work with?

Can the jobcentre check up on me by phoning or emailing third party companies and would this be a breach of my privacy / data protection?

I hope someone might be able to help advisee me on this matter.

Yours sincerely 33crazydude

The is according to their handbook (or at least wasn't not long ago) any legal requirement for a jobseeker to keep a written work search log, or use a computer to keep such logs, you record can be verble , and it's the quality of a work search that matters not the quantity (number of jobs applied for,interviews ect)

As for checking with 3rd parties, maybe possible in theory, as unless you have attended an interview for a job and weren't successful ,I would wish them luck with doing that, but it would possibly depend on what details you record in your log,

I have not been offered any interviews as yet and my job log only shows vacancies which I applied for through agencies.

Hypothetically speaking, if the jobcentre phoned these recruitment agencies and checked if they received my CV, surly this is kind of illegal from a data protection point of view?

Edited by dx100uk

My recollection of this (the guidance has been posted here before, but I can't find it at the moment) is that the JC can't normally check up on vacancies you applied for "on your own". So if you found the job on a website or local shop window or whatever, they shouldn't be contacting the employer without your permission.

If you're matched to a job by the JC themselves (say, at your signing interview) then they are allowed to check up and it's safest to assume that they will. This used to be called a "Jobseeker's Direction" and maybe still is.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi There antone,

The vacancies written down on my job log were applied for on my own accord.

I had a feeling the jobcentre wouldn’t be able phone my contacts with out my permission.

Surly, if they did check without my permission, I could seek legal advice?

However, I think your right about the jobcentre having permission to check up on vacancies they offer their claimants, but they haven’t offered me any jobs lately.

Edited by dx100uk

If a member of the DWP phoned virtually any office in the country and asked "Did XYZ apply for a vacancy with you?" they would be told "Sorry, its against data protection." So that is just an implied threat they use.

It would be impossible for a large organisation to quickly provide that information to the DWP and many have enough problems providing payroll information to the DWP, let alone this spurious request.

Seeking legal advice is pointless, it would not prove anything nor provide you with any material benefit - if you did somehow get some 'compensation' for this it would directly affect your benefit entitlement as that 'compensation' would be deemed 'earned income'.

Hi Sillygirl1,

Based on what you’re saying, it seems one has little to worry about, but a breach of data protection could be a fine of up to £50,000.

If I hypothetically earned something from this income, I’d happily see my benefits stop in order to receive a greater amount of money.

This is all supposed of course.

Edited by dx100uk

i think the copy is just so they have evidence that they have asked you for evidence of your job search.

I don't know about any breach of DP- it may be that social security law allows them to do this (I don't know, I'm just speculating).

Bottom line is, I doubt they have the time or inclination to check up!

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

As others have said, and regardless of any rights or wrongs, there would be just too many phone calls to make and deal with for it to be worth anyone's while.

That said, wouldn't it be great if they did? It would amount to thousands of extra phone calls a day. So the DWP would need to recruit hundreds more people just for that. Major companies likewise for people to handle and investigate the calls. And, obviously, the DWP would need to recruit even more people to handle the calls they make to themselves regarding their own advertised vacancies and applicants. This could be the way to full employment in the UK! :madgrin: