• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You should be able to claim expenses for any compulsory appointment that isn't on your usual signing day. Also, a few years ago when I claimed JSA and was put on weekly signing, I could claim travel exs for the intermediate weeks. That may have changed, of course.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had daily signing on when i first came off the work programme 4 or 5 months ago, you claim it back at the end. Weekly is not so bad, in fact its quite lenient in the new regime. The appointment on monday for you will be a very basic 5 minute "Exam" on maths and english just to see if you need extra help. I did not get travel expenses paid back when i had it, though to be fair i did not ask on this particular day.

In Greater London after signing on for 3 months we get a bus and tram 50% discount card which has to be uploaded onto the Oyster card so a bus journey is 70p instead of £1.40.

Is there anything similar nationwide?

The adviser will forget to reimburse you so at the beginning of the meeting produce a travel receipt and ask for a travel expenses form to fill in.

Take your job search evidence to this interview as every time we attend the JCP, we have to be able to show what we have been doing to find work.

There are customer computers and a printer at the JCP. To check up on you they may ask to print out your evidence [confirmation emails for job applications and email you sent to employers].

I am PWPS like you and now have to print out fortnightly evidence for next app. Refused to allow DWP to my Uni Jobmatch account and adviser says she can not see evidence as no access so wants print outs of whatever I do.

If you allow them access, they can see if you logged in daily and if you forget once, you walk into a sanction. They want most PWPS clients to log in daily as per Jobseeker's Agreement.

Proof of log in is application so I will try to appease them with a couple of applications through Uni Jobmatch per week. A screen shot shall suffice.

A sanction for not being able to provide evidence of daily log in would be too bad. Anyone had any issues with that?

When I signed on last year I knew my fortnightly travel to JCP would be £4.50 bus return, what they don't get is that you are on benefits and £9 a month can buy lots of food for the week. Anyway, anything outside of your signing on day CLAIM FOR as small as it is, I was asked to drop a form in to JCP a few months ago and claimed the bus fare from petty cash - why should you pay outside your normal signing day? As for my appointments to INGEUS, they pay it all which is good as I get a lift off my Dad when I go claim the money and give it to him for petrol.

Hi Martindn,

You mentioned in your previous post that you visiting the jobcentre on a daily basis and eventually the DWP compensated you for your financial loss.

However, can I receive compensation for weekly visits to the jobcentre?

Apparently, I hear that someone was compensated for travel costs on an intermittent basis.

One week they were paid back and the other week they were not.

If the appointment isn't your normal signing day you will get your travel fares back.

Make sure you keep you ticket with you.

I had to make a complaint about this matter myself as I was been dragging into the JCP once and twice

a week, Back then last year you got the travel refunded in cash now its through the bank the benefits are paid into.

My complaint was that some days I didn't have the £4 to travel and had to borrow it but would be unable

to pay it back as banks take 3 days to clear the payment, I got it on my file for same day re-payment of travel funds.

George

When you first make a claim you are assigned a signing day and a "cycle" to determine which of the two weeks you sign. On that day, you are expected to cover your own expenses from your allowance. If asked to attend on any other day, you can reclaim expenses. This should include weekly signing on the days when you wouldn't "normally" sign, if you see what I mean.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

100% correct. You are only mandated to fund your travel to signing on days. Any time I have been to JCP or CV courses etc outside of my "cycle" I have claimed and made sure I get the money straight away out of JCP petty cash on proof of travel ticket.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

• 1 month later...

Sadly, I have been sanctioned and my benefits stopped for 1 month.

When signing on, I always visit the jobcentre on Wednesday every two weeks, but recently the jobcentre decided to change my appointment for Tuesday.

When my next appointment was due in two weeks, I accidentally turned up on the Wednesday, whoops.

I apologized to the jobcentre for my mistake, but the DWP took no pity and sanctioned me.

What a draconian system we have in this country.

Here is the horrible DWP letter they sent me :mad2:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/jhzsqg.jpg

:crazydude:

I've started a new thread for you cos there's been lots of changes in the three years since the one you used. For any user who has a new problem, it's always best to use the blue box above the garish greeny yellow thread titles.

Sorry you've been sanctioned. Guess jobseeking involves keeping appointments, but you can ask Jobcentreplus to 'look at their decision again' if you feel there were mitigating circumstances. Also, you may be able to claim hardship payments. Hopefully other contributors will be able to offer more specific advice.

Margaret.

I don't know the rules but with appointment changes would JCP not have to send a letter about a change of date out of your normal signing day a bit like when you are on the WP? If so surely this is grounds for an appeal?

Saying that, I am a person who is organised and without sounding patronising surely this new date and time should have been noted in your diary, calendar etc? A harsh lesson learnt I feel

Thanks Margaret

The Job Centre didn’t send any letter through the post, but they did print out my new Tuesday appointment and handed me a copy when I signed on at the jobcentre.

I took this A4 piece of paper home with me and stored it with all my other paperwork.

At first, I probably remembered my new appointment date being changed from Wednesday to Tuesday, but accidentally forgot as I came closer to my next as sign on day.

Sadly, I must have taken a default position in my head and assumed it was the usual Wednesday.

This is a mistake that any normal human being could make!

However, I do have ADHD which does make me a little forgetful or easily confused.

Furthermore, I have never forgotten previous signing on days because my appointments were always on a Wednesday and probably ingrained into my head.

Edited by dx100uk

Well, the sad truth is that you probably don't have much in the way of grounds to fight this sanction - as others have noted, you are expected to keep track of and attend JCP appointments when required. I presume it's a one-off appointment rather than a permanent change to your signing day and time (if it's the latter, they should have issued you with a new ES40 signing on booklet). However, you can ask them to look at the decision again - write them a letter saying something like "I am writing to ask you to reconsider your decision to sanction my JSA, communicated to me in your letter dated 09/04/2014" then give your reasons and mitigation. It's up to you whether you feel this would be worthwhile.

In the meantime, you can apply for hardship payments, although you can't normally receive these for the first two weeks of a sanction period. If you want to do this, make the application via your JC ASAP as they can't be backdated beyond the date you actually applied. Hardship is usually, I believe, 60% of your regular weekly amount. You could, in theory, be asked to attend an interview to demonstrate actual hardship, but these days that seems pretty rare.

Sad that an apology isnt enough for us but ok for the likes of maria miller.

Guess we are not all in it together!

Im sorry but the op's story and the way we are treated just makes my blood boil. My best wishes goes out to you mate, keep smilling :-)

I always keep records and paper work for future appointments and this is my first time for getting my actual signing on day wrong.

I have actually been out of work for years and struggled to find employment, but my punctuality has always been excellent for arriving at the job centre until now.

Surely we all risk slipping up and the jobcentre just preys on this opportunity.

I have a disability known as ADHD, maybe this be used to bolster my appeal?

I also hear that persistent attempts at appealing can result in getting your money back.

This is the words of someone on this forum

Here is his response. http://oi59.tinypic.com/2nak0hy.jpg

Edited by dx100uk

Yeah, don't get the impression I was scolding you or anything - we all make mistakes and it is ridiculous that one such error results in sanction. Sadly, these are the times we live in.

As to the advice given by the poster on that forum, it is not correct. Firstly, before you can appeal you must request reconsideration, as I advised above. Secondly, I don't know what he means when he says "sod JSA, just apply for hardship". You can't apply for hardship unless you have been sanctioned on a benefit claim. So yes, you should apply for hardship but you can't just close down your JSA claim and expect to get hardship on the basis that it is your "human right". Friend Norman1066 may believe this, but the government does not view Human Rights law the same way.

Also, he mentions that all you need to do is show that you were Actively Seeking Employment (ASE). But missing an appointment is not an ASE matter, and the sanction you're facing is a conditionality sanction and must be contested on that basis.

People do succeed at reconsiderations/appeals, and it's certainly worth your while to do this since all you can lose is the price of a stamp. As to whether you should mention your ADHD, I'm not sure. It may help your case, perhaps. Were the JC advisers already aware you have this condition, and is it reflected in your Jobseeker's Agreement in any way?

Edit: Meant to add, if your regular signing day has changed, were you given a new signing on card (ES40)?

The jobcentre is fully aware of my ADHD, I sometimes see a woman called XXXXX and she supports people with disability issues at my local jobcentre.

I’m also on a work program called advance that specialize in helping people with ADHD or other types of disability.

So yes, the job centre does know about my ADHD 100%.

From my memory, I wasn’t given a new signing on card, but I was given an A4 print out for my next appointment this Wednesday 16th.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/bj7e2s.jpg

However, I will be visiting the job centre today to claim hardship benefits and appeal over the phone.

A friend of mine has told me that the job centre don’t offer appeal booklets anymore and they prefer appeals to be done over the phone instead.

Edited by dx100uk

That appointment looks more like a "Work Focused Interview" that would be in addition to your regular signing on appointment. On the reverse of the letter, does it give any warning about the consequences of not attending ?

Any dealings with the JCP/DWP should be done in writing and copies kept - You then have a paper trail should you need proof of what was or wasn't said. Telephone conversations can be ignored or denied and there is no proof of what might have been said.

Edited by dx100uk

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Yes, if I don't turn up for my work program with Advance, I’d be risking a sanction.

I do agree that paper communication between the job centre is better because you have proof of communication, but my friend went to the job centre for me and asked where the sanction booklets were and the job centre told her that all appeals are now done over the phone?

Is this true?

Edited by dx100uk

By the look of things I am sorry and agree we all make mistakes but the dwp regime are harsh and the fact sheet stated the reasons for sanction, 'you fail to attend is one of the reason'. DWP should cater for people with illnesses but they do not care. Apply for hardship payments straight away but you will have to meet one of the criteria, if you have a disability or long term illness you should qualify.

If you phone the dwp record your telephone conversation, I have done so by my ipad, you do not need to tell them either.

Edited by dx100uk

:33crazydude:

No, it isn't true that 'all appeals are now done over the phone'. On the contrary, appeals have to be submitted in writing on an SSCS1 form, available from the Tribunals Service. But before that, you need to ask Jobcentreplus to 'look at the decision again', officially known as a mandatory reconsideration. And despite Jobcentreplus preference for phone calls, given their talent for losing calls, it's best done in writing via recorded delivery. (At least hold onto a Post Office receipt as a certificate of posting.)

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit/decisions-made-on-after-28-october-2013

It isn't necessary to fall into one of the vulnerable groups (sick and disabled, some carers, claimants with children) for hardship payments, but non vulnerable claimants aren't paid until the fifteenth day of a claim.

Margaret.