Re: DVLA going to court for uninsured bike

parisnine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

While we are waiting for the info we need, in a nut shell a motor vehicle must either be taxed AND INSURED (if it is to be kept/driven on a public road) or declared SORNd (if it is to NOT be kept or driven on a public road). Only exception for no insurance is if the vehicle is SORNd whereby it cannot have it's wheels on a public road at any time.

I bought this bike for my brother who was going to pay me for it but he did not, the bike was kept in a locked garage in my garden it was never used on the road, first they sent me a letter telling me that I have to pay a fine for not having road tax which was £80.00 then after I sent them a letter explaining that the bike is in a locked garage they decided to accept only £40.00 fine for not having a tax, whereas the tax disc was only £16.00 - they wrote to me and said that they never received my SORN and accepted the £40.00 fine. Then I thought that was it - all over and done with - Just before christmas I received a letter saying that I have to go to court for not having insurance on the bike. This is really doing my head in and I can do without this hassle, I'm a single parent looking after a disabled child and I have more than enough to worry about. Please can someone help me out of this mess. How can I fight with these people who are causing me so much distress.

Thank you in advance.

Well if it was still not SORNd, that's why you have received a summons for no insurance then. Under the new continuous insurance/tax rules, the bike MUST be insured if it is not SORDd. I'm assuming that you must of been the registered keeper then?

I am not sure there is any legal way out of the situation because, technically, you are guilty. Once again the government have introduced a law that does nothing to address the purpose for which it was written (ie getting uninsured drivers off teh road) but have simply created a whole new cash cow of screwing "innocent" motorists who have failed to fully understand the new law but never intended driving such a vehicle on the public road.

These fines go against the spirit of the law that was written just as the SORN fines step outside their remit too.