paying VAT

Rough Trader
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning all,

This might sound a bit strange. I put may freelander in to Volkscar in Dartford, Kent for a replacement fuel pump, that was ok, but a week later a fault light appeared on the dashboard, I informed Volkscar, they said to bring it in, this I did.

The mechanic did a diagnostics, and cleard the fault, but noticed that the camshaft sensor needed replacing, in the ensuing discussion it was decided that I should bring it back a week later to have the sensor replaced. This I did, left my phone number so he could call me to let me know the price. The mechanic called back and said my car was ready and quoted £130.

I went to the cashpoint and drew out the £130 in cash owing to the fact that whenI went to pay for the fuel pump, the owner gave me such a hard time for using my debit card and not cash.

I arrived at Volkscar with my money to pay for the work, on production of the cash, which caused his eyes to light up, I told him that Sam had quoted me that amount. The owner then started getting stroppy with me over the fact that Sam had not quoted me a price with VAT, as sam never said £130 plus VAT.

The owner then proceeded to soo me out of the office saying in a very forceful tone "Go 1 , take your car and GO! ", this I did, feeling very confused and guilty, but left anyway. Later on I realised that he did not give me an invoice for the work carried out, so I phoned him up saying that he did not give a invoice for the work, he promptly and in an iritating tone, "You refused to pay the VAT, when you pay the VAT I will issue one"

I never at any time refused topay the VAT, as far as I was concerned it is included in the price, this was not even discussed when I was handing over my cash.

My questions are:

Can he do that and what can I do about it?

If as he says I owe him VAT, why did he let me take the car away?

I begin to suspect that my £130 has not been accounted for and some sort of VAT fiddle.

Regards

Geoff

In the end, what we regret most, are the chances we never Took

Report him to Trading standards for what, not giving an invoice, it's not exactly a crime.

Companies don't usually quote inclusive even though it has been suggested that they should to consumers.

If you are going to report him to anyone and then take your car back for further work when it is required, he might not give it to you until you have paid in full. A garage can hold onto your car until you have paid the bill in full if they want. He might, if he has any sense, add the VAT you haven't paid this time to the cost of your next repair/service.