• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unemployed, on JSA and £7300 CC debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Great forum you have here!

I owe £7300, spread over two credit cards - capital one (£3100) and bank of Scotland (£4200). I've been unemployed for over a year and was making the minimum monthly repayments on both cards , stupidly perhaps using what savings I had to make the monthly repayments. Now I have no spare cash left at all, I'm on £71 JSA per week and furiously searching for work. I live with my brother in a rented housing association house so there's no mortgage.

I've written to both companies today, outlining my situation and basically offering to make a minimum payment of £5 monthly until my situation improves. I've also asked them to freeze any penalty charges and interest from accruing.

I've buried my head in the sand too long with this but I've decided to face up to it. From what I've been reading, I don't really think there's too much they can do to me- I don't own any property, car or anything. The credit card debt is unsecured . I'm pig sick of this whole thing, being unemployed and other things going on in my life too and just want this thing sorted or at least controlled till things pick up:sad:

Any thoughts folks, as to what the next stage is likely to be? Thanks:-D

Edited by valignya

Hi,

I owe £7300, spread over two credit cards - capital one (£3100) and bank of Scotland (£4200). I've been unemployed for over a year and was making the minimum monthly repayments on both cards , stupidly perhaps using what savings I had to make the monthly repayments. Now I have no spare cash left at all, I'm on £71 JSA per week and furiously searching for work. I live with my brother in a rented housing association house so there's no mortgage.

I've written to both companies today, outlining my situation and basically offering to make a minimum payment of £5 monthly until my situation improves. I've also asked them to freeze any penalty charges and interest from accruing.

I've buried my head in the sand too long with this but I've decided to face up to it. From what I've been reading, I don't really think there's too much they can do to me- I don't own any property, car or anything. The credit card debt is unsecured . I'm pig sick of this whole thing, being unemployed and other things going on in my life too and just want this thing sorted or at least controlled till things pick up:sad:

Hi

Just going on what you have put there is not much more you can do at this stage other than consider a long term solution.

Look into any charges & PPI maybe?

Your creditors could try taking the usual forms of recovery action such as defaults, collection agencies, CCJs but if it would get them anywhere is another question.

There may be other more severe options such as DRO depending on your current full circumstances and where you hope to be in the future.

Have a look through the debt remedy and information tools below for further pointers, the CAB one has an online debt management plan that might help with the £5 offers.

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

http://www.stepchange.org/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=200012&gclid=CO2aptaAvbQCFUbKtAodOwUALw

Before making any decisions make sure you fully understand the pros, cons and implications of any debt solution

If in any doubt contact one of the charities or another agency.

Best wishes

Many thanks for the tips and links, Wintry:-D

As I've just sent off my two letters to the card companies, I'll sit tight till I hear from them one way or the other. There's no point getting stressed about it I know, but I do, a little bit:-(

I'll have a nose around on those sites over the next couple of days anyway and draw up at least an initial plan of action if they don't agree to the £5 monthly from my JSA.

you tell them not ask them

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

dx

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

or

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, against all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You may want to consider a DRO (Debt Relief Order) - its a sort of mini bankruptcy

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/bankruptcy/DRO/debtors.htm

I recommend that you talk to one of the debt charities - check out these websites for usful info

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

http://www.stepchange.org/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=200012&gclid=CK7FxojoxLQCFcVY3godNmUAMA

Yes, DuffNCustard, I will consider all these things but I've yet to hear back from them - doubtless I will soon. I'm in Scotland so the DRO doesnt apply here though I think something similar exists in Scotland called LILA(low income low asset) thanks for the links:-)

I side with dx100uk

tell them, don't ask.

My wife has been paying £1 a month for 3 years to Lloyds TSB.

They froze interest and all fees

the debt is £7000+.

Most will help if they have to.

If my advice helped you please click my star

Yep Series3, good advice. Dx100uk's advice is also top dollar. That's actually very encouraging to hear of your wife's debt being dealt with sensibly by Lloyds. Anyway, the letters and £5 postal order payments for January have already been sent and they've been told that's all they're getting, basically a like it or lump scenario - I was paid off from my job October 2011 and it's a nightmare trying to get another at age 44 - bloody hard.Jsa and the princely sum of £71 is my income,so they'll either have to accept it or refuse. Refuse, as dx points out, and I'll whack them onto £1 for life

Edited by valignya

Hi,

Have you thought about a Debt Relief Order. If you have no surplus income (less than £50), no assets and debts below £15k, you will qualify.

I think demanding is counter productive but at the same time so is showing any weakness.

I would be offering affordable payments and making the creditors aware that this is the maximum you can afford. I would also send a copy of your award letter and say that you are in a vulnerable group and as such please treat me accordingly by accepting my offer and freezing interest and payments.

This, I think, shows you are doing your best to come to an arrangement and are a genuine can't pay as opposed to won't pay.

If they refuse , pay them £1 a month anyway

Cheers guys. Yes, Jimmy99, I was civil enough in my letters, plainly outlining to them that I can only pay £5 per month and even that much I can hardly afford, but mentioning that I'm willing to pay this much even so.

I haven't heard back from them yet but I will send them both a copy of my proof of benefit receipt if they ask for it.

chching: I would consider DRO or LILA as it is known here in Scotland. It probably won't come to that but I'll consider all options once everything becomes clearer with them

• 2 weeks later...

Update :

Capital One phoned me on Wednesday and agreed to freeze interest and charges for 6 months. They will review situation then. £5 per month payment to them in the meantime.They are sending me an expenditure form which I'll complete and send off.

Bank of Scotland phoned me today and initially got a bit shirty and asked me to complete the expenditure form over the phone. I said no way, I haven't the exact details to hand and told them to send it to me and I'd complete it and send it back. I basically told them it was a fiver or nowt. I was transferred to someone else who then told me they'll freeze interest and charges for 6 months to be reviewed then. They'll send confirmation by letter. £5 to them every month too.

Just to say to anyone reading this who is on benefit like JSA - don't panic, for the situation is hopeless for them to get their money while you're on the dole so they'll accept a token amount: it's either that or nothing:-)

No PPI, Havinastella, I didn't take it . I'd also like to add that, by and large, the people from both companies were pretty decent and courteous on the phone, apart from the slightly cheeky girl from BOS.Easily dealt with, though:wink:

I'd also like to thank all the people who gave me advice - it was much appreciated. I'll keep this thread alive with any further updates, primarily to act as a sort of rough guide for anyone else in the same boat as me.

• 3 months later...

Update on this folks: I received today a letter from Moorcroft debt recovery who state they are working on behalf of HBOS to recover the £4200 from me.

The letter says I must settle this debt without delay:lol: which is hilarious as I'm still on JSA as my only source of income.

Bank of Scotland did agree to accept £5 per month as did Capital one (who say they will contact me in August to see if my circumstances remain the same)

The HBOS **** must have realised they've backed the wrong horse to get their money back so they've got Moorcroft on board to help them.

I will write to Moorcroft and tell them exactly what I've previously told Hbos about my income/circumstances.

I'll offer £5 per month - like it or lump it.

Taking in to consideration what I've learned about this mob,

I won't be taking any phone calls from them whatsoever - everything in writing.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

How are things with Capital One at your end?

I'm still waiting for them to accept my payment plan, they have been playing a delaying game with me!

TommyCat

Edited by TommyCat

Yes, Tommycat, thinks are still ok with cap1.

I found them surprisingly reasonable, unlike HBOS who acted like total wombles which I've heard is par for the course with them.

I told cap1in my letter that I could only afford £5 per month.

I said quite a few things in that letter, the gist of which was either accept the £5 - like it or lump it

- I ain't got a pot to p!ss in, I know it, you know it so take the fiver per month and leave me alone.

They said they'd contact me again in August to review my situation.

My situation is identical to what it was in January, so when they write to me again I'll tell them this and that I still can't afford any more than a fiver.

Chances are they'll drop me like a hot potato and sell my debt to Moorcroft or something:lol:

Just let them do the work, Tommy and don't accept them phoning you all the time either.

Tell them in writing only.

If you're on JSA or even a low income job there's nowt they can realistically do.

Relax and things will pan out ok for you

valignya, would you mind pm'ing me a copy of the letter you sent to your creditors (obviously with personal information removed) - I find myself in a similar position to yourself except I have no income at all for at least a few weeks and as your letter worked quite well I would like to use it as a template!

Many thanks.

look for the named bank forum

the addresses are all there

you'd be better to start your own thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok I can certainly send the scanned copies of my letters if that'll help anyone.Or to make things simpler, I'll type up exactly what I wrote and put it on a newly created thread?

I sent the letters to the main company HQ - BOS is in Edinburgh and Cap1 in Nottingham

Always remember - you are in control regarding paying these people, particularly if you are on low income or no income save for benefits. Remain courteous but firm and always state that you are willing to pay something every month, no matter how small, to service your debt. This is really, really important. To ignore the problem or tell them they're getting nowt is to invite trouble, I believe.

Edited by valignya

• 5 months later...

My advice would be to offer only £1/month to each and to pay by standing order (then no money wasted on postage or POs). If necessary open a basic bank account just for this purpose.

I've always written something like this:

If xxxxx will suspend interest on the balance of £xxxx.xx (the amount stated in the default notice of xxxx) I will agree to a payment of £1.00 per month by standing order until further notice. I can, if required, provide another financial statement and will commence payments upon receipt of xxxx’s acceptance. I have made a similar arrangement with other creditors.

While you are not obliged to accept my offer, should you seek a County Court Order I will draw the court’s attention to this offer and your awareness of my current financial difficulty...

All have accepted and also stopped any hassling. I just get a letter about once a year requesting a review of my repayments but reply that my circumstances are unchanged.