• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Landlord Opening my mail

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's illegal to open someone else's mail or to interfere with someone else's mail in the UK.

My previous landlord would not let me collect my post as could not set up redirection..we where forced out of the property..by landlord..and girlfriend..no time set up..

Many times requested post said meet me property only to get there and no show..

Two days before Xmas heard something being pushed through letter very late 12 1pm went have look all my post all undone and they have contacted all them saying i owe him 4 months rent i do not i have all my receipts where he go me to pay into different accounts..marked date and saying rent from myself..they have even opened bank letters and have all our bank details..as there where 4 people at the property could not afford redirection as was going contact all.

they have been slandering my name ..

Surely opening peoples mail saying Private and confidential is breaking the data protection act..Police not interested ..

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dunni
They even have my bank details NI number works number.. hospital number

That is a criminal offence, openiing mail addressed to somebody else.

If you have evidence the police should take it seriously. It is an offence under the postal services act 2000. If they have used any information gained in that way that will be a further offence.

Slander ( verbal ) libel ( written ) is difficult and expensive to take action against and only if what is said or written is untrue and you suffered from it in some way. ( onus is on you to prove. )

Edited by raydetinu

hi i have tried the police not interested.its so dam frustrating as i did not have time to set up redirection and because landlord Voltaire abuse behavior all because i asked for the heating to be sorted six 8 weeks no heating hot water while he swanning it abroad while where freezing having go friends showers..

we had no safety certificate because asked to see hit roof kept phobing me off..

And never bonded our deposit..

I got fed up asking over heating water and called Gas safe to come check..OMG it was death trap they switched everything of said lethal..

When he found out things just went from bad to worse..

i had flee for my own and family safety him girlfriend threatening me and my sons you would not believe what i had put up with..

Yet again police not interested ..

I was at the property on mu own one night he turned up with about 15 people i was petrified..called police at 8pm 12 o'clock the following day they came and said was personnel issue between me and landlord we need to sort..So i said he comes here and threatens me woman on own in 60s and iam to take lying down..well good old UK.

He has rang and emailed companies telling them i owe him rent..i do not still hs my deposit..horrible man..VILE.

To sort out ongoing mail problems get it redirected at the post office, have you a rent book showing what rent has been paid, do you owe rent? although the landlord may notr have protected your deposit you cant just withold rent to cover it, did you leave the premises without giving notice? as I beleive you may still be liable for rent if you didnt give correct notice.

What type of agreement did you have did you sign a contract?

I think there are a number of issues that need sorting but I think you need to be clear in what advice you need.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

everything was all done properly my side had contract gave him notice..i had no time to do redirection plus it was very difficult to redirect my sons as they wanted proof id utilities bills ect been nightmare..but damaged done he has already undone the post caused stress and mayhem..NO OWE NO RENT and gave correct notice..i used work letting agents so know all protocal he is just wrong on so many counts

I'm sorry, but it is illegal to open post addressed to someone else. I'm sorry if I bang on about this, but a landlord opening (and disposing of) our post caused us no end of headaches a few years back. Dunni, if you have proof that someone is interfering with your post, take it to the police and insist on reporting it as a criminal offence.

A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

how would you like yours undone then rammed through letter box..he has my address and passes it daily..and then to contact all the companies and lie saying owe rent..

ive tried redirection but post office want utilities bills some of us not got..such pickle..

There appears to be a lot of confusion on this topic, even the Shelter advice may be flawed.

The rel legislation appears to be http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/part/V ,mainly relating to postal service employees interfering with the mail in the postal system ie mailbox to letterbox. So a sender cannot ask PO collector for letter once posted in postbox, yet PO can require sig or proof of entitlememt for recorded mail etc(eg production of attempted delivery notification

I would suggest intended recipient has no recourse under Postal Act 2000 unless action initiated by PO not Police for

84 Interfering with the mail: general.E+W+S+N.I.

(1)A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he—

(a)intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or

(b)intentionally opens a mail-bag.

(2)Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4)Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5)A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

I would note copyright for contents of communication remain with sender, not intended recipient.

IMO opening mail intended for another is not illegal, unlesinfo gained is later used to the dsetriment of the intended recipient (Judge's dsecision)

Edited by mariner51

He did use the information frm opening my mail to slander my name ringing everyone and telling them he evicted me i owed him 4k in rent..none its true left on my own free will due to fact he would not repair the heating an water coming in behind my back tampering with the boiler..had ge tgas safe in and they shut whole lot down as unsafe..He never bonded deposit ands till has..7mths on and hes still hounding him his bunny boiler very unstable...nightmare cant sleep..

Hi Dunni.

Could you explain more about what you mean by hounding, please? If he thinks (rightly or wrongly) that you owe him money, there are ways and means to go about it, and I would think that after 7 months, if he was serious he would have issued a county court claim by now.

Can you also tell us:

How much he says you owe him

What he's saying that's it's owed for

Thanks.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

He is saying i owe him £4k in rent.. but he seem to forget the rent was £1k month and i have all the receipts from bank where i paid into his wife's account with my name by side of it staing rent payment for each month..

2 days before Xmas i received late one night thought my son trying open front door load mail they had undone he has all my bank details date birth Ni number everything because he has undone post.

he has also taken upon himself to ring write phone and email people from information he has taken from the mail and told then he evicted me DID NOT and i owe him this money DO NOT..he has my forwarding address and all had do was pop back in post not at this address.

and the irony of it is that when i lived there i had all his mail whole family coming there day he even made out that he lived there and got his kids in school and dam school constantly writing ringing me because his kids are playing truant and causing havoc in classroom..They should nt been in that school..He just lied about all..no Safety certificate no deposit bonded..him girlfriend just thinking can let themselves in whenever collect post fiddle boiler whenever fancied..

OK, has he made any legal attempt to pursue you for the money? Has he sent you a letter before action, or a county court claim?

I understand about the post and contacting the people who had written to you, but since you've moved has he had any further contact with you, other than putting the opened mail through the door?

not exactly sure what advice you want now?

You can sue him for your deposit back and any shortfall in rent, if any will have to be proved, which he can counter claim for.

If you have suffered financially or it has affected you by way of reputation etc. ( and you can prove it, witness etc.) from the informayion gained in opening your post then you can also take that to small cliams for damages up to £5K.

If he continues to harrass you and comes to your present address and make demands etc.( not delivering just post ) then you can call the police.

I do not owe him any money... and the post is coming through the door that hes held onto for 7 months..he has contacted people and blatantly slandering my name..

I had email from them 2 days before Xmas calling me Whore and hope you enjoy your Xmas..around same time mail got dropped..they know my address came property early hours morning..Nasty horrible people....What have i done deserve this JUST asked the heating and water to be fixed..

Ray has actually got where I was going without the need for further questions. The ball is in your court at this point, really.

You need to keep a log of any and all incidents if they continue, and INSIST on making a report to the Police.

Certainly consider small claims for return of deposit, and for any damages/financial loss incurred as a result of mail tampering.

sounds like harassement to me!

you need to keep a record of all these events and go to police, ask for duty inspector; they must investigate and possibly go and warn them. do not give up.

any other legal recourse is up to you regarding the other things you mention.

The whole situation seems a bit strange to me, if there is continuing harrasment then yes it muset be reported to the police, without proof though you may have your suspicions about the non delivery of piazzas etc but there isnt a lot you can do about it and TBH how would your landlord know when you had ordered one? unless he owned the shop, If you left the premises so long ago the mail should not be an ongoing problem as you should have contacted everyone by now and it shouldnt be delivered to your old address any longer, if the deposit has not been returned take him to court, if the landlord has contacted peopkle to say you owe rent i assume you have corrected this statement with them so I would suggest that no long term harm has been done and its best to forget about it.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.