RHA

Prosecuted for failing to present a valid ticket

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2514 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

There are a few threads here which talk about train fares going to court, but all seem to have their own little quirks making them unique. Any advice on my situation would be much appreciated.

A few weeks ago I received a note from a court across the country saying I owe a £200 fine.

Upon contacting the court they said it was for not presenting a valid rail ticket.

I do recall the incident 18 months ago, when I was a student I was stopped and found to be carrying an out of date railcard

- the new one had been posted to me by the NatWest but I hadn't gotten around to putting it in my wallet yet.

The ticket inspect told me that I'd be sent a penalty fare (£20) and would have the opportunity to appeal or pay it.

Fair enough I though - I hoped the railway might accept the appeal as I did indeed own a valid railcard but was prepared to pay the £20 for the simple mistake.

The inspector wrote my address down from my driving licence, but I also gave him my term-time address in his notebook as this would make picking up the penalty fare easier,

and I went on my way without any sort of receipt.

Weeks turned to months and I forgot about the issue, assuming the railway had let this go

- after all it's a £3 discount on a train fare we're quibbling over.

Little did I know, however, that address I wrote in that notebook hadn't made it's way onto an envelope correctly enough for the postman to find me,

and without a response the TOC had sent the issue to court.

So, a year and a half later, the court sent me a letter (to the address on the driving licence) demanding £200.

Having been in touch with the TOC, they've advised me to complete a statutory declaration stating that I didn't receive any notice about the court proceedings.

I have an appointment to do this at my local court next week.

What can I expect now?

If the offence is returned to the railway, couldn't they just prosecute me again leaving me still with a £200 fine?

Would they likely settle out of court the second time around, if so, what should I expect - a £20 penalty fare or likely substantially more?

This seems quite unfair as the mistake is theirs.

Finally, I am about to start a new job.

They will do a credit check and criminal record check on me.

Will this show up?

I will of course tell them anyway just in case, but if I have a criminal record they'll probably not be happy! Do I?

Any advice on what action I should take and what outcome I can expect would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

hi rha

get that sd done

that should reset it back to before the case.

then write a letter appealling to the TOC with a copy of your valid railcard

they might well drop it altogether.

others will be along soon to clarify if i'm right

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

hi rha

get that sd done

that should reset it back to before the case.

then write a letter appealling to the TOC with a copy of your valid railcard

they might well drop it altogether.

others will be along soon to clarify if i'm right

dx

Yes, exactly so dx100.

Once the statutory declaration is made on oath before a Magistrate, the Court will set aside the original conviction making this null & void

The TOC will be advised by the Court office that they will be free to issue new a summons without time constraint to begin the prosecution afresh if they wish.

The ticket inspect told me that I'd be sent a penalty fare (£20) and would have the opportunity to appeal or pay it.

The first thing that you must do is make that Statutury Declaration, otherwise the conviction & penalty remain in force.

Just one thing intrigues me, I have selected the quote above from your original post because it is very important.

When you were spoken to by the inspector, were you handed a printed Penalty Fare Notice at the time of travel?

The question is important because you cannot be sent a Penalty Fare Notice through the post, you may be sent reminder letters, but not the original notice, which you would be asked to sign at the time of issue.

If the TOC decide to reissue a Summons, which is likely, this will be an important point in any new action.