advise on HBOS court error please

Thewigster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all.In october a repossesion order was granted by county court for a house i owned.

When we were at court the person representing halifax presented his figures to the judge (£81.203.20) which included in the particulars of claim "any adjustment for early settlement" I was given 56 days to vacate.

Within this time period i managed to find a buyer, as i agreed a sale price of £87.500, which would cover the amount owing and leave me enough for moving costs etc.When my solicitors requested the final settlement fee, halifax decided to add £3669.40 in early repayment fees.

When i questioned this, their reply was that in the terms and conditions etc, if i wish to settle my morgage at any point then a fee is payable.

Having spoken to FSA and fos i logged a formal complaint, and the findings by the F.O.S were that the figures were misleading, but could not recommend the halifax refund the full amount.

Is it appropriate to use moneyclaim or would i be better off going back to the court that granted the possesion order?Thanks for any help in advance

Edited by citizenB
formatting

I would think they probably arent allowed to add on anything to the original Judgment debt.

I would wait until andyorch can look in on you as to what route you should go.

I will flag for his attention.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello

It maybe the case that the figure provided to the Court of £81,203.20 did not include any applicable early repayment charge. Lenders in repossession cases, I believe shouldn't apply erc's.

However, from what you have said you repaid the mortgage through a sale of the property. As the mortgage was repaid as a result of a sale (albeit as a result of pending possession) and not as a result of possession any erc would more than likely be payable.

Was you on a fixed, discounted etc etc rate where an erc was applicable ?

Does your mortgage agreement refer to any such erc ?

Edited by bhall

Yes Mark, I am Bones

I should gp basck to the court quickly. Tell the judge that they are committing an abuse of process and also that they are estopped from claiming any more. Read up on estoppel

I personally would not start a separate action for this..but refer to the ongoing claim.Do the T&Cs allow for this charge?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

hi thanks for the replies. I was on a fixed rate of 6.49% due to expire in 2015.I have spoken to and formally complained to FOS who after concideration of the matter decided that halifax should award me £250 in "damages" for the distress i had suffered. they agreed to this 2 weeks ago.My argument as i said in 1st post is that the figures quoted, in the particulars of their claim were £81.203, and it plainly says in black and white that this amount takes into concideration any amount for early settlement and legal fees payable.I did write to the court and the reply i got was that the judge had read my letter and i should make an application. But how can i issue an application for dispute of incorrect figures included in their particulars ??

I should gp basck to the court quickly. Tell the judge that they are committing an abuse of process and also that they are estopped from claiming any more. Read up on estoppel

What about the doctrine of contractual estoppel - "Where parties had agreed to enter into a contract on a certain basis, they could not then claim at a later stage that the reality of the situation was something different"

The OP has confirmed the mortgage agreement (contract) was entered into on the basis of being subject to a fixed rate until 2015. As such it is more than likely that a condition of that contract was that if it was redeemed prior to 2015, an erc would apply.

Can the op please confirm if the additional £3,669.40 represents any contractually agreed and accepted early repayment charge.

It may also be relevant that the mentioned proceedings would not have been for a monetary judgement of the court but rather for an order for possession.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

hi bhallAs i origionally said, the argument is the fact that in the particulars of claim, it clearly states that the figure does include " any adjustment for early settlement" (6c)It seems to me that HBOS have come unstuck because what has happened is they never expected me to sell, seeing as i had the house on the market for 8 months prior to the hearing , and as you said earlier they arent allowed to apply ERC's to repossesion cases as in effect i didnt choose to repay early.

Hello Thewigstar

In terms of applying the erc in possession cases, Some lenders waive the early repayment charge when the mortgage is repaid following the property being taken into possession – but this not a specific requirement of the "MCOB rules".

In considering possession issues, the FOS would look at all aspects of each case in line with what they consider is fair and reasonable – and taking into account issues relating to financial hardship.

However, as I said in my previous post whilst possession proceedings were commenced by the lender, it would appear from the information that you have posted that the lender never actually took possession, instead as a result of the proceedings you sold the property and used the funds to redeem the mortgage whilst it was subject to an erc.

This may appear that I am splitting hairs however, I feel this difference would be very significant in any legal proceedings you may decide to commence to reclaim the erc.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

Hi bhall.Thanks for that reply. yes you are correct in saying that the morgage was redeemed before hbos actually took possesion and evicted me, however the fact still remains that the possession order was somehow in my opinion, and that of the solicitor that dealt with the sale, a money judgement too.Realistically what i done was the property to a friend for the amount i was led to believe was owing plus expences for moving etc.My main priority was to avoid reposession for obvious reasons, but it apperars now that i may of been better off letting hbos carry on and sell it, then i would of avoided erc as i never repaid.let me know your thoughts cheers

Hello

To be honest I think what you did was the best thing for you that you could have done.

If the lender had taken possession there is a possibility that you may have incurred further charges to sell the property and that in the end it may have been sold at an auction for an amount lower than the amount owed.

Had this happened you may not have had to pay an erc but you would have more than likely been left with a mortgage shortfall, which the lender would then chase you for.

I personally don't agree that you should in the circumstances you described should have had to pay an erc.

However, unfortunately my personal view means nothing as the erc would have been detailed in the mortgage agreement and the mortgage was redeemed through repayment rather than possession.

As far as I know, challenge to erc's in Court have been and as detailed on this site been unsuccessful. You could try the FOS route, as it is free and you have nothing to lose, as clearly you sold the property as a result of the possession proceedings and effectively forced to sell the property, earlier than you had wanted.

Yes Mark, I am Bones

• 2 weeks later...