Talie

Having a problem with Unum income protection

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2488 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Oh and even better,

when I asked HR how I could appeal..

..I was told "as Unum is the policy holder, you do not have the right to appeal"....fabulous!!

They then followed up with

if I wanted to write a report and add some evidence etc, HR could appeal on my behalf...

..They have me 3 days to submit ghat report.

Now, I'm too poorly to do simple daily chores, let alone write reports, so I threw together the simple facts in an email and sent it off,

HR have passed it onto the claims department and I await their decision, which is pretty obviously going to be a no!

It is beyond me how they WILL NOT accept a GP certificate to pay out Income Protection to their own employee, but will accept it for general day to day sickness.

Contradictory?!

If the GP says I'm sick, then I'm sick, or at least that's how I pitch it to the poor unsuspecting customer who actually thinks they are getting a "back up plan"..

..oh no, Unum's famous motto isn't exactly reliable!!

I work for UNUM and have also been declined income protection despite my GP signing me off.

Sadly it seems that unless you are likely to be off work for life or until death, they don't want to know.

By my own admission, my illness was likely to stabilise, at which time I wanted to return to work, but no, not good enough,

if it can stabilise, be cured or you're not a walking corpse, they don't pay out.

I have learnt the hard way.

Working for them for nearly 3 years, telling customers how easy it is to claim..

..yet the truth is, my sick pay ended in July, and I got my rejection for income protection in December. Yes, 5 months, without pay, to be told NO!!!

I'm in debt and my condition has worsened because of them!!!

Worse still, as Unum is the policy holder, I have no right to appeal!!

It's just great working for UNUM as our income protection benefit is the highest value going.

...only we can't claim it and if we try to appeal, we're not allowed.

Bit like a "this is what you could've had" prize!!

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry Unum are upsetting you.

I've started a new thread for you and tidied up some duplicates. I'm not clear what you're asking for help with, would you care to elaborate please? If you give them some specific questions, I'm sure the guys will give you good advice.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

To deal with the policy complaint, are you talking about the fos? I've seen before on this forum that the employer is supposed to make the complaint, in a Catch 22 situation like this, you would hope there would be another avenue.

I hope the guys will be along later.

HB

Income protection insurance policies are designed to cover people who are unable to work due to serious long-term injury or illness. Things and things like stress/depression often don't qualify and being signed-off by your GP due to short-term illness doesn't count.

The first "Q&A" on Unum's UK website says "Income Protection provides a replacement regular income if you are unable to work due to long-term illness or injury. It pays up to 80% of your pre-illness income. It normally begins to pay-out after 6 months off work, and continues to do so until you are either able to return to work, or until you retire.". If you haven't been off for at least six months you aren't eligible to claim. If you want to make an appeal then you need to get a copy of the terms and conditions of the policy which covers you and provide the documents required by those terms and conditions.

If you have only just been signed-off work, you should instead look at Statutory Sick Pay which is paid if you are off sick more than 4 days in a row. SSP is paid by your employer.

Edited by steampowered

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

"Unable to work due to sickness or injury"....I fit that criteria. I have been off for 9 months.....this is not classified as a short term illness. There is no definition of "long term" and no exclusions as to what defines "sick" or "injured".

Is this unable to work AT ALL or just in your current job? It can make a difference.

There's clearly a reason that you've been refused - I've seen significant payouts on UNUM policies in the past.

My wife claimed off UNUM when she had to stop work when she was 59 and we had no issues with them paying every month. She did not even know she had the policy which was taken out by her employer and only when she was made redundant did it come to light and the employer apply on her behalf.

We have informed the DWP on several occasions in writing of this monthly payment, but it made no difference to our benefits paid due to it being an insurance policy.

Is this unable to work AT ALL or just in your current job? It can make a difference.

There's clearly a reason that you've been refused - I've seen significant payouts on UNUM policies in the past.

Hello again.

I agree with Becky about the reason for refusal. Have you had a letter about this? Also the definition of inablity to work would be useful.

Fwiw, UNUM have a reputation for playing hardball on income protection claims, especially I would say for mental illness. We know someone who was turned down and had to appeal, but they didn't work for UNUM themselves.

Could you tell us some more please so we can help you?

HB

i smell two reclaims coming on here.........

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets