need advice on raising a grievance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

am looking for some advice on raising a grievance with regards to the conduct of my line manager

This is particularly awkward for me as my line manager (before promotion) was a good friend however I am getting really down in the dumps with his behaviour

Since June this year he has treated me with very little respect or regard resulting in my being signed off for 3.5 weeks

In June I started to get really stressed and deperessed due to some personal issues, I spoke to my GP and also to my line manager and HR to request support etc

HR, I have to say, were very good and therefore despite my GP wanting to sign me off there and then, I continued to work of course my performance was affected (not to the detriment of my results you understand) but I wasnt my usual dynamic and pro-active self

My line manager, however, despite paying lip service to the support program that was set out for me, continued to place me under increasing pressure resulting in the worst PDR grading I have ever had (despite having some of the strongest results in the company) and was told that my grade had been pre-determined giving me the impression that using the appeals process was a waste of time.

When I highlighted the strength of my results I was told this was due to my having an "easy job" and that (depsite having no evidence - there is none!) people were "carrying me"

Shortly after that I went back to my GP for a routine check as he was monitoring my mental health (and my soaring BP) very closely, he took one look at me as I walked in his door and promptly signed me off for 3.5 weeks, I looked that bad!

On my return to work I was offered a phased return, which I turned down apart from a request that exta duties and extra monitoring me set aside for a few weeks so I could settle back into being part of the team and regain my confidence in the work place, this was agreed by my line manager and HR

Within days my line manager had scheduled me in for non-routine work reviews, had people monitoring me and I discovered that depite me only telling one person (apart from my line manager) the exact reason why I was off and for how long, the whole office seemed to know (they were actually very supporting apart from 2 people who dont like me anyway so not bothered about them)

now to whats happening now

we work in an open plan office and my line manager is constantly leaving confidential information lying around (appraials etc) where they are viewable by anyone, in fact this morning they are in such a place that the cleaners could easily read them let alone anyone else

He is always leaving his desk unattended and his PC unlocked (contrary to the company IT Policy) with personal info showing on screen, not just mine but everyones. I have complained about this to HR in the past and all line managers etc were given privacy screens to use but he refuses to use his

and to cap it all, he has had a go at me (in front of the whole team) about "looking at his screen as I walked past his desk when he was sat at his desk", I was actually looking at something beyond his desk!

I can only assume that when he did this he had realised that once again his screen was unlocked and there was personal info of some sort on it.

We have also had hours changed with less than a working days notice

He is constantly breaching data protection with peoples personal info by his refusal to lock his screen/leaving appraisal forms and documents on display, he is constantly demeaning my performance (I am actually doing a role now he has no idea about and the "usual rules" dont apply to it) and he is now either not doing my appraisals in a timely manner or doing extra!

Does this all fall under possible whistle blowing due to the DPA stuff? or would a grievance apply as I am starting to get ill again and I really dont want to be going down the route of being signed off again, I just want to do my job and be left alone to succeed!

I have kept a log of all instances and I have a co-worker who is willing to testify all I am saying is correct (I also have photographic evidence of the info being left lying around)

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

If it were me, I would initially speak to somebody senior in HR and ask for some advice on all the points you have outlined above . Document this and keep notes at home. If that fails then raise a formal grievance - in writing - and ask for the matters outlined above to be formally investigated. Emphasise the effect that this is having on your morale and health and wellbeing.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I'm probably the last person on earth who should give advice on grievances, as I made some massive fcuk-ups in the recent past, but one thing I know for sure is that you should not direct the grievance towards an individual but towards the company for letting this happen.

For example, not "My manager is bullying me" but: "This company tolerates bullying".

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I'm probably the last person on earth who should give advice on grievances, as I made some massive fcuk-ups in the recent past, but one thing I know for sure is that you should not direct the grievance towards an individual but towards the company for letting this happen.

For example, not "My manager is bullying me" but: "This company tolerates bullying".

IMO that will just get people's backs up!

If the company isn't aware of the bullying behaviour, it needs raising specifically about the individual involved - not a mindless rant at the company in general. If they don't deal with the grievance, then on appeal that can be raised as it would arguably be true at that stage.

Taking it literally - is it better for the company to investigate "tolerating bullying" with nothing to back the statement up, meaning the grievance will be rejected, or is it better to investigate the individual doing the bullying and at least have the possibility to look at disciplinary action against them?

I know which outcome I would prefer...

I don't see any issue for you to pursue at all, that is assuming that you cannot prove your manager leaked the info over your condition to your workmates (it's usually a friend you confide in)

What he/she does with their PC and info is down to them, if your manager wants to paint the office wall with personal info which should be un-accessable for others then to put it simply that is between him and HR, your involvement will only bring one outcome, you will be despised by your boss (who has the power at the end of the day) and your workmates if they like him more than you will see you as a grass.

You will get no medal or thanks for reporting him and it will not affect the outcome of your issues

In clear employment terms you have been off for a month with non work related depression, if i was you i'd concentrate on getting my numbers up, not what the boss is or isn't doing.

I've seen many a person go down the slippery slope because they spent too much time watching the watchers instead of keeping themselves afloat. I say this for your benefit not to berate ;)

erm no, what he does with MY personal information (others peoples as well mind you but they can sort that out) IS my business AND my concern!

I have already taken this to HR before, they were given privacy screens and he refused to use it.....

as for watching the watchers, trust me I am covering 4 peoples duties at the moment, I haven't got the time to watch anyone apart from my own work load!

as for my being off, it clearly stated on my sick note from my GP "Stress and Depression compounded by work related issues" and 3.5 weeks is NOT a month, its my first time off ill in 9 YEARS of being with the company so please don't jump to conclusions and read between the lines, many thanks for your input

anyway I decided to grab the Bull by the horns and I decided to have a "chat" with him as he was a good friend before being my boss and its sorted, we had a quiet beer after work, like the good old days, and talked it all though, since then I have had a good appraisal and offers of more support, he has also apologised and stated he felt a bit out of his depth as he has only recently been promoted and was receiving very little support himself until now, so moving forwards we have agreed to support each other

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice