Arnold Clark Car Hire

cuzznx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a question that i hope someone can help me with.

I booked and paid for a car from the above company, for one week over the Christmas period, to pick up on Christmas Eve.

I booked and paid for this car via their website, well in advance of the holidays.

Having been stung before by another company, i checked Arnold Clark website looking for the amount of deposit required.

It clearly states on the FAQ page, that a deposit is not normally required, however check at time of booking.

Now being completely paranoid these days, i checked by phoning the company and asked if a deposit was required, the answer i was given was a definite "NO"

I still wasn't sure though, as it is strange that most other companies require a deposit,

so i checked the website again and trawled every page, nothing.

I phoned the company again a few days later to double, double check and was given the same reply "NO"

On the day of hire, i phoned the branch from where i was due to pick the car up from and was put through to a central switchboard,

who also couldn't get through to the branch but they would get them to phone me back, still waiting!!!

While on the phone i asked again from customer services if a deposit was required, the answer again was"NO".

I went to pick the car up and on entering the reception, i was met with a sign that from "30/10/12 a £200 deposit was required"

I assumed that didn't mean if you had already prebooked.

I presented all the documentation that they had requested and was then asked for a £200 deposit.

When i explained that no mention of a deposit was made, either verbally or via the website,

i was told that it states on the website FAQ page that a deposit is required.

I pointed out that it doesn't say that at all and refused to pay a deposit, they refused then to hire the car to me and refunded my money.

My question is,

are they in breach of contract and do i have a right to sue them in the small claims court?

I had taken what i deem necessary action to ensure the validity of the hire agreement.

When i got home i phoned the customer service department to complain and was told that it was now company policy to take a deposit,

although, no where on the site or elsewhere does it say about that.

Needless to say, my refund will not go into my bank until after christmas,

so i couldn't go elsewhere and get something arranged.

Christmas has been ruined, i was unable to go over to my son's and spend the holiday with his family and my grand daughter's first Christmas, as was arranged.

Someone please tell me that i have a good case or even some advice.

Cheers.

cuzznx

Edited by dx100uk

Get to that page at the rush and take a screen shot of it.

Can you post up the url you used? If you can't post a link, just spell it out.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Whilst we don't normally ask for a deposit to be paid at the start of the hire, this is subject to customer qualification, please ask at time of booking.

You asked and were told no.

Hi

These two PDF Screenshots of the FAQ and Terms of Hire may be of use:

Now please check the Terms of Hire as under Payments it does state 'For advance bookings payment in full is required'.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

Hi conniff,

Just wondering if any further input has been made regarding my last email.

It is worth noting that someone from Arnold Clark rang me on New Years Eve and left a message.

I am now waiting to hear from them before i take any further action.

Cheers.

cuzznx